Hi everyone, first post for me.

I just picked up an Epiphone LP Speciall II off Craig's List, and there's a problem with the bridge pickup. It has a very very low volume compared to the neck. I tried raising it but it was the same.

Is there any way I can figure out if it's the pickup itself that needs to be replaced or it's something with the wiring? I don't think it's the pots because the neck pickup has no issues. (LP Special II only has 2 pots, volume and tone.)

Just want to make sure I know what's the problem before I go ahead and buy a new pickup, I don't want to dump a ton of money into what's basically a junker. I bought this for my kids as a decoy so they won't touch my other guitars but I want it to work!

I've never done any mod work myself but I looked at the wiring diagram and it doesn't look too complicated.
check the solder connections of the bridge pickup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
check the solder connections of the bridge pickup

Looks fine to me, but like I said I have never done any mod work myself.

Nothing looks loose...maybe I should post a pic?
Brought it to GC, the tech said it is indeed the pickup.

Time to start scouring eBay for a junker humbucker...
Check out GFS for cheap pups. I'd buy one of their PAF clones like the PAT.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale

Ok, thanks for the recommendation.

I noticed there are a TON of cheap new Gibson/Epiphone pups for sale on eBay, all coming out of China...I wonder if they are stolen from the factories???
Ebay is a minefield, wouldn't be surprised if they are fakes.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Sorry for the noob question but are they 2-conductor or 4? Since this will be my first modding project I figured it would be easier to get a 2 since the guitar wiring only has a lead and a ground.

This is the one I was looking at.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Crunchy-PAT-High-Output-Humbucker-Black-Bridge-Position_p_190.html
Last edited by Huge Guy at Oct 1, 2012,
Ah, no idea, never actually bought one of their buckers. Just email them to find out. 4 wire isn't harder to wire up than 2 wire.