52 38%
I'd vote against the tax
70 51%
I'm not sure
16 12%
Voters: 138.
Page 5 of 6
Quote by technicolour
Hmm, this is true, I think they should check out your annual income when you're purchasing, and if you're not poor, you get the tax.

On a side note: sucks that western society is kind of aimed at being unhealthy physically and mentally. Convenience and economic growth is driving this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDJ-gvhVBmw
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Okay so my real opinion. HFCS and sugar are basically equivalent. The politics around corn need not be changed, however I believe that the tariffs on sugar should be miniscule to encourage imports. Instead of taxing soda, which will make no one skinnier, we should encourage the use of artificial sweeteners. We should also give tax breaks to companies that sell sugar/HFCS-free soda based on how many various standard units they sell.
Quote by Eastwinn
Okay so my real opinion. HFCS and sugar are basically equivalent. The politics around corn need not be changed, however I believe that the tariffs on sugar should be miniscule to encourage imports. Instead of taxing soda, which will make no one skinnier, we should encourage the use of artificial sweeteners. We should also give tax breaks to companies that sell sugar/HFCS-free soda based on how many various standard units they sell.

Most artificial sweeteners are terrible for your body over a long period of time.
Againt the tax. I'd rather just ban big sizes.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Most artificial sweeteners are terrible for your body over a long period of time.

Like which ones?
Quote by Eastwinn
Like which ones?

Most of them.

aspartame, sucralose, not sure about saccharine, but really, who uses that anymore...

aspartame is thought to be neurotoxic and sucralose (splenda) was originally tested as a pesticide, and does some kind of damage in labrats, can't remember what... yet they've only been around for less than a hundred years and haven't been studied long enough to know the full range of negative effects. so, YOU NOW WHAT THAT MEANS, THEY MUST BE SAFE! SELL SELL SELL!

Stevia is safe.

Isn't aspartame the one linked with cancer?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Aspartame and sucralose are both incredibly safe. You should google more.
Against, I don't want to have to go a vending machine with a dollar bill and a few pennies each time I want a soda
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by due 07
How exactly is that a reason why gov't healthcare is a bad idea?

Because there are a lot of people who don't care about their health in America. So why should my taxes go up to pay for medicare/medicaid because fatties are getting heart attacks when all they have to do is be responsible? I don't want taxes on things I like to buy to go up just because someone else needs a surgery. Sounds pretty selfish, I know, but it's the truth. The gov wasn't designed to tell me how generous to be with my money.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Because there are a lot of people who don't care about their health in America. So why should my taxes go up to pay for medicare/medicaid because fatties are getting heart attacks when all they have to do is be responsible? I don't want taxes on things I like to buy to go up just because someone else needs a surgery. Sounds pretty selfish, I know, but it's the truth. The gov wasn't designed to tell me how generous to be with my money.

we could just tax your income and drop sales/VAT style taxes, would that make you feel better?
Quote by captaincrunk
we could just tax your income and drop sales/VAT style taxes, would that make you feel better?

In a way, yes. But it still wouldn't solve the problem, so I don't really know what you're getting at.

I think my ideal tax, although I haven't thought too much about it, would be a plan where there is no sales/property tax; everyone pays a certain percentage of what they make and that's that. And everyone pays the same percentage. So if you make 3000 dollars you pay X percent and if you make 3 million you pay X percent.

Makes sense to me.
Quote by c3powil
In a way, yes. But it still wouldn't solve the problem, so I don't really know what you're getting at.

What's this "problem" exactly? That you lose a few pennies a year because someone likes doritos?
Quote by c3powil

I think my ideal tax, although I haven't thought too much about it, would be a plan where there is no sales/property tax; everyone pays a certain percentage of what they make and that's that. And everyone pays the same percentage. So if you make 3000 dollars you pay X percent and if you make 3 million you pay X percent.

Makes sense to me.

Yeah, sure, it makes sense. But it's still dumb, and results in either not enough tax revenue, or too many people suffering because they're overtaxed while the wealthy just laugh.
Quote by captaincrunk
What's this "problem" exactly? That you lose a few pennies a year because someone likes doritos?

The problem is that my tax goes up because of other people's problems. The government isn't here to decide who I need to help and who I don't, with my own money.
Quote by captaincrunk
Yeah, sure, it makes sense. But it's still dumb, and results in either not enough tax revenue, or too many people suffering because they're overtaxed while the wealthy just laugh.

How can you be overtaxed by a percentage that is the same all across the board? Rich people give more money, poor people give less money, which is what you want. But at the same time, there is no loss of incentive to gain a pay raise.
Quote by c3powil
The problem is that my tax goes up because of other people's problems. The government isn't here to decide who I need to help and who I don't, with my own money.

But that's where you're wrong. If you believe that, do away with tax altogether. But do it privately by yourself, so us grownups can have a society.

Quote by c3powil

How can you be overtaxed by a percentage that is the same all across the board?

By being too poor to afford the goddamn mother****ing stupid piece of shit cuntlicking tax, you imbecile. For ****s sake, this has gone on too long. I'm done with you.
Quote by captaincrunk
But that's where you're wrong. If you believe that, do away with tax altogether. But do it privately by yourself, so us grownups can have a society.

That's your opinion.

Quote by captaincrunk
By being too poor to afford the goddamn mother****ing stupid piece of shit cuntlicking tax, you imbecile. For ****s sake, this has gone on too long. I'm done with you.

Its a percentage... If you don't make any money then you're taxed no money. If you make little, you're taxed little. I don't quite follow your logic.
Quote by c3powil
How can you be overtaxed by a percentage that is the same all across the board? Rich people give more money, poor people give less money, which is what you want. But at the same time, there is no loss of incentive to gain a pay raise.

Because below a certain threshold you can't afford to give up any money, and that's why most flat tax proposals waive the tax for those below a certain income level, and that's why flat taxes are ultimately just as 'redistributive' as a progressive income tax, and that's why babby's first libertarian fails.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
At first I was like Yes Tax It because the soda companies have a tight vice on our vaginas/balls and we need to stop drinking that shit. But then i was like No Don't Do That because its "Unconstitutional" or something. Whatever.
banned
Quote by c3powil

Taking even 10% of a person's $100 dollar paycheck will result in a marked depreciation in their quality of life. Taxing at a rate of 10% across the board would result in laughably small revenue, and would place effectively no real tax burden on those at the higher end of the spectrum.

The idea is to tax everyone at a rate they can afford without significantly diminishing their quality of life. For someone earning minimum wage this generally means that no tax is appropriate, for someone earning six figures it can mean that higher taxes are appropriate.

There is still no loss of incentive, as only money earned above a certain threshold is taxes at the higher rate. If you earn 500,000 a year, and the rates of tax go: 0% on anything under 15,000; 10% on from there up to 30,000; 20% from there up to 50,000; 30% from there up to 70,000; 40% from there up to 100,000; 60% from there up to 400,000; 70% from there up to 600,000; 80% on anything above 600,000; then you only pay the 70% tax rate on the last 100,000 of your income, the rest is taxed at lower rates. There is never a situation where earning more gross will earn you less net.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Just ban the damn things.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by ErikLensherr
Because below a certain threshold you can't afford to give up any money, and that's why most flat tax proposals waive the tax for those below a certain income level, and that's why flat taxes are ultimately just as 'redistributive' as a progressive income tax, and that's why babby's first libertarian fails.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Taking even 10% of a person's $100 dollar paycheck will result in a marked depreciation in their quality of life. Taxing at a rate of 10% across the board would result in laughably small revenue, and would place effectively no real tax burden on those at the higher end of the spectrum.

The idea is to tax everyone at a rate they can afford without significantly diminishing their quality of life. For someone earning minimum wage this generally means that no tax is appropriate, for someone earning six figures it can mean that higher taxes are appropriate.

There is still no loss of incentive, as only money earned above a certain threshold is taxes at the higher rate. If you earn 500,000 a year, and the rates of tax go: 0% on anything under 15,000; 10% on from there up to 30,000; 20% from there up to 50,000; 30% from there up to 70,000; 40% from there up to 100,000; 60% from there up to 400,000; 70% from there up to 600,000; 80% on anything above 600,000; then you only pay the 70% tax rate on the last 100,000 of your income, the rest is taxed at lower rates. There is never a situation where earning more gross will earn you less net.

Thanks guys, I understand now. I, myself, make around 160 a week working 20-25 hours with rent, utilities, groceries, gas, and college bills to pay for. I understand how much a small portion of my earnings affects what I can afford, but state tax still takes out most of my earnings.
Quote by The Madcap
Since it was a special and it would have been more expensive to get a small ($1.79) I got a large. The size was ridiculous, and it was an amount nobody should ever drink in one sitting.

Its pretty common for me and my 9-5 office job brethren to get a large soda from a gas station and drink it for a boost throughout the day.... not all at once.

Anyway, who says we need the government to protect us from ourselves? Especially in circumstances like these where the drink effects nobody else, except of course in state-provided health care...

Did you know that if you don't wash your hands thoroughly after pooping you can spread Typhoid? Its true. Maybe we should outlaw pooping... or hands.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Zombee
Its pretty common for me and my 9-5 office job brethren to get a large soda from a gas station and drink it for a boost throughout the day.... not all at once.

Doesn't it go flat though? I hate that.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Doesn't it go flat though? I hate that.

Not really, sometimes the ice waters it down, but I think soda's pretty bitey as it is. The main reason we do it is for caffeine so your head doesn't hit your disk. Same reason people drink coffee, cept until tea catches on more, I'm stuck with soda.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
****, I want a soda now.

I'm against this. Soda doesn't need to be taxed. If you desperately want to make money off of the sale of soda, start taxing restaurants and other places who purchase and use fountain pop machines. Those things are pure profit, especially when coupled with re-usable glasses/cups.
I heard about the large soda ban in New York, but I had no idea they were that big- I can't understand how someone could drink all of that.

The only sensible option is to ban it. By taxing the government won't be discouraging it at all- they'll just be making money off of peoples' unhealthy addictions.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I heard about the large soda ban in New York, but I had no idea they were that big- I can't understand how someone could drink all of that.

The only sensible option is to ban it. By taxing the government won't be discouraging it at all- they'll just be making money off of peoples' unhealthy addictions.

The pic in the OP is satire.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Casketcreep
I say let people make their own decisions on how healthy they are.
Natural selection at work.

Very edgy and intelligent. Would read again.
As it stands in the UK, fizzy drinks are taxed anyway (VAT). Any food that isn't considered a luxury is VAT free (eg fruit, vegetables, bread, milk). I'd rather pay a bit of tax on items I can avoid paying for than more income tax.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by c3powil

Well my taxes shouldn't be raised just because some retards wanna drive on roads. Sounds pretty selfish, I know, but it's the truth.
Quote by due 07
Well my taxes shouldn't be raised just because some retards wanna drive on roads. Sounds pretty selfish, I know, but it's the truth.

and to think all the deaths caused by automobile crashes? It's just not fair to the rest of us who don't drive and don't want to pay for it
Quote by due 07

I know what you're trying to say man, but it's not like people can go out and buy roads, even if they had the cash. Healthcare, however, is a business. You can buy that.
Quote by c3powil
I know what you're trying to say man, but it's not like people can go out and buy roads, even if they had the cash. Healthcare, however, is a business. You can buy that.

Roads could be built by private persons and charge every time someone wants to use it via toll booths. So why is healthcare different?

What about schools? I'll pay for my own school thank you very much, I don't want my taxes raised just because a bunch of poor kids can't learn on their own.
if we're gonna tax tobacco of course this should be done.

but then again i dont agree with anything any government does, so no.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
if we're gonna tax tobacco of course this should be done.

but then again i dont agree with anything any government does, so no.

What if a government disagreed with itself or apologized for actions you didn't agree with? Would your head explode like some sort of robot who was subject to a logical paradox?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
What if a government disagreed with itself or apologized for actions you didn't agree with? Would your head explode like some sort of robot who was subject to a logical paradox?

i would simply change my opinion.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.