Page 1 of 2
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid
2,155 IQ
I absolutely love guitars, music, and recording. I really do enjoy using programs such as ableton and I enjoy building guitars and cabinets and such (but I hear that is as hard a career as professional music).

I would love to just be a performing musician but I know it isn't easy and can take time to get noticed. I'm just wondering what some good degrees/ majors/ jobs are for people like me.

I would like to have time with whatever I am doing to be able to work on my music.
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
No.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,001 IQ
Music business, audio engineering, musicology. Pretty much any of the degrees that have very little to do with actually making music.
666atheist666
smartguyreviews
Kenny G on Ecstacy
863 IQ
Music Ed and Therapy jobs can be considered performances in their own right, but don't pursue those unless they're really for you.
Dirge Humani
Tyler
282 IQ
Starbucks is always hiring.
Quote by Hydra150
I tried to open the kitchen door and accidentally turned the light off instead

now googling "how to pasta"
piratemetalhead
2,274 IQ
I'm studying music in college right now haha

It's a great time, very engaging and just totally opens your mind to a new form of approaching music. If you've got the time and money, go for it. It's not like you can't study something else after if you want to make your living off something else lol
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
I absolutely love guitars, music, and recording.

So does... every other guitarist. What makes you so special?

I really do enjoy using programs such as ableton and I enjoy building guitars and cabinets and such (but I hear that is as hard a career as professional music).

Same as above.

I would love to just be a performing musician but I know it isn't easy and can take time to get noticed.

That's probably not gonna happen. There are about a million guys out there that do what you do way better, especially if you're a guitarist. And there are virtually no jobs as a performing guitarist to begin with.

I'm just wondering what some good degrees/ majors/ jobs are for people like me.

Realistically, "people like you" the best bet is to forget about doing music for a living and forget about studying it. Since you like recording music, consider a computer science major. There is just as little a job market for recording as there is for performance, but surely there is something in the computer/tech field that is similar enough that it will interest you, and those sorts of jobs are always in high demand as technology continues to progress, and they tend to be well paying.

I would like to have time with whatever I am doing to be able to work on my music.

With the computer stuff you should have enough time. Plus, as a computer person, you'll probably have access to lots of cool tech stuff, so that could always having a great computer for recording, always having the tools to build amps, etc.

Hope that helps.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
So does... every other guitarist. What makes you so special?

Most 'special' people you're talking about don't bow to the discouragement everyone heaps on them. It seems that the culture of 'can't' is rather used by people to justify their own failings by mythologizing talent as rare, innate and genetic, when in fact it can be cultivated by anyone who is intelligent enough, motivated enough and who's circumstances allow for 'deliberate practice'...

Quote by K. Anders Ericsson, Ralf Th. Krampe, and Clemens Tesch-Romer. The Role of Deliberate Practice in the Acquisition of Expert Performance. Psychological Review 1993, Vol. 100. No. 3, 363-406

"People believe that because expert performance is qualitatively different from normal performance the expert performer must be endowed with characteristics qualitatively different from those of normal adults." "We agree that expert performance is qualitatively different from normal performance and even that expert performers have characteristics and abilities that are qualitatively different from or at least outside the range of those of normal adults. However, we deny that these differences are immutable, that is, due to innate talent. Only a few exceptions, most notably height, are genetically prescribed. Instead, we argue that the differences between expert performers and normal adults reflect a life-long period of deliberate effort to improve performance in a specific domain."

theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by TooktheAtrain
Most 'special' people you're talking about don't bow to the discouragement everyone heaps on them. It seems that the culture of 'can't' is rather used by people to justify their own failings by mythologizing talent as rare, innate and genetic, when in fact it can be cultivated by anyone who is intelligent enough, motivated enough and who's circumstances allow for 'deliberate practice'...

I... whenever I read one of you posts... I feel like... wow, somebody failed you somewhere. Like, it's genuinely depressing to read your posts. Like... I don't know.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Read this please.
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
I... whenever I read one of you posts... I feel like... wow, somebody failed you somewhere. Like, it's genuinely depressing to read your posts. Like... I don't know.

It's depressing to know I feel exactly the same way about your posts.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by TooktheAtrain
It's depressing to know I feel exactly the same way about your posts.

No offense, but are you like... autistic or something? I feel like... you're like if Axelfox knew a bunch of big words. That's how I'd describe you.

I mean, I feel like... I'm genuinely at a loss here.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Read this please.
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
No offense, but are you like... autistic or something? I feel like... you're like if Axelfox knew a bunch of big words. That's how I'd describe you.

I mean, I feel like... I'm genuinely at a loss here.

Nope, just checking wiki and I meet none of the diagnostic criteria.

Here's a tip- if you want to throw a (hormonally imbalanced?) hissy-fit whenever I contradict you, feel free to PM me.
bloodtrocuted93
UG's Crack*****
104 IQ
Quote by TooktheAtrain

Musical talent = success in that field now? Well, shit. Learn something new every day! -_-

Anyway, my brother's pretty happy at Guitar Center. You could try that.
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
I'll have breakfast tea with three sugars please.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
piratemetalhead
2,274 IQ
To be fair, saying "what makes you so special... probably not going to happen..." is very discouraging. Having realist thinking is good, but it's rather regressive to dismiss his aspirations because of your own presumptions lol

I still think he should give it a shot. Like I said, if he's got the time and money... I honestly wouldnt suggest blowing ten grand a year on a high reputation type of music school though haha. But you put the time and effort into your studies and work, and you will definitely get something out of it. Studying music is only a waste of time if it does not mean much to you, and if you aren't putting much of yourself into it. And like I said, there's always the choice of studying for a degree for a more stable and well paying job after

But I will agree that an actual diploma and degree for music does not mean much. It's the actual education and immersion in music that is important
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
Musical talent = success in that field now?

Well, musical ability has been extensively researched, here are just a couple of citations that verify such a model.

Robert W. Weisberg, “Creativity and Knowledge: A Challenge to Theories,”

Robert W. Weisberg, Creativity: Beyond the Myth of Genius

Performance Standards and Innovations in Music,” in A. Steptoe, ed., Genius and the Mind (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998), pp. 67–94.

Neal Zaslaw, “Mozart as a Working Stiff,” in James M. Morris, ed., On Mozart (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994).

The Road to Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance in the Arts and Sciences, Sports and Games (Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1996).
Wiegenlied
Registered Usurper
1,620 IQ
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
I absolutely love guitars, music, and recording. I really do enjoy using programs such as ableton and I enjoy building guitars and cabinets and such (but I hear that is as hard a career as professional music).

Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Sep 30, 2012,
pwrmax
Registered ... something
2,414 IQ
If you're a great musician, and I mean GREAT enough that you make people jealous every time you perform, give Musician's Institute in Hollywood a shot. It will get you in touch with the right people.
stratkat
IWTCIRD
3,672 IQ
I've made music for videogames. Most don't pay, and those that do don't pay a lot.
But I'm just now trying to get my foot in the door.

Album sales are another way I've made a measurable but small amount of money.

Score for animation, films, etc. Not every job making music will make you a rockstar.
Last edited by stratkat at Sep 30, 2012,
yoman297
hi
1,476 IQ
if you don't like mcdonalds you can always try subway

they make you wear gloves

and you can steal one

if you know what i mean
LightxGrenade
1,139 IQ
Quote by theogonia777

Sounds like your English teacher failed you. How many times are you going to say "like"? I felt as if I was reading the script for Keanu Reeves from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure lol. Just kidding man...

As for the thread starter, I don't know just how much you care about your salary in a career in music but it's not all that easy to even sustain a living as a musician much less flourish. My college roommate was a music major in college, graduated with a degree (not sure what the exact degree was) and then applied to a graduate program. He has to teach piano and trombone EVERY DAY. He has no days off, it's school then straight to some kids house to teach him. Some days he may have only 2 or 3 students but it's never easy. I suggest if you do decide to pursue a career in music, you take a double major or a minor to help you out and make you more well rounded.
Another option is to become a guitar luthier/tech. There's plenty of vocational schools that could teach you within months, from there you can practice the craft and if you're lucky get an apprenticeship from a master luthier or tech. Just like all other options in music, it's a long shot but who knows dude maybe one day you'll be making custom guitars that musicians love.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
penguit
live forever LG
10 IQ
really the best thing to do if you want to be a professional recording and tour musician is to throw away the guitar, rock is dead and no one wants to listen to metal!! pick up a synth or something, embrace the new sound palate of today, great and successful musicians never try to relive the past they create something new
METAL_MAN135
Hates his username.
581 IQ
Quote by penguit
really the best thing to do if you want to be a professional recording and tour musician is to throw away the guitar, rock is dead and no one wants to listen to metal!! pick up a synth or something, embrace the new sound palate of today, great and successful musicians never try to relive the past they create something new

This, this is the dumbest thing I have ever read on here.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
penguit
live forever LG
10 IQ
Quote by METAL_MAN135

sounds like you might be mad because all you can do is have a wank with your metal solos and cant write a decent pop song to save your life
Cb4rabid
K♦️
2,628 IQ
Quote by penguit

Except by this rationale, the ''great'' and successful musicians of today wouldn't be successful because pop is actually older than rock or metal.
pinga
METAL_MAN135
Hates his username.
581 IQ
Quote by penguit
sounds like you might be mad because all you can do is have a wank with your metal solos and cant write a decent pop song to save your life

Sounds like someone doesnt realize synths are older than he is, and are not in anyway a "new sound palette"

Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
penguit
live forever LG
10 IQ
got to admit, you lot have a few good points, but the fact does not change you arent going to find success playing rock or metal today, how ever much you want it to its just not happening
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by LightxGrenade
It sounds like your English teacher failed you. How many times are you going to say "like"? I felt as if I was reading the script for Keanu Reeves from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure lol. Just kidding man...

No, she gave me a D+.

Quote by METAL_MAN135

No it's not. Truer words have never been spoken. The synthesizer is objectively the most synthetic instrument, and synthetic is the new good, obviously. A recent incredibly biased and completely incredible study proves this.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Read this please.
piratemetalhead
2,274 IQ
Yup, if you want to make any money playing music, just make EDM and synthpop

Seriously, trance/ house/ hardstyle and the like is almost the only thing most people my age listen to in my city, and most of the "big tunes" are actually by rather low profile dj's. Making it big in dance music and trying to be the next tiesto or deadmau5 is just as realistic as trying to be the next Metallica or Pantera.

There's actually a few guys here who make a decent living playing in jazz clubs D:
yoman297
hi
1,476 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
No it's not. Truer words have never been spoken. The synthesizer is objectively the most synthetic instrument, and synthetic is the new good, obviously. A recent incredibly biased and completely incredible study proves this.

That study was by me.

Synths are the only thing on the radio for a reason guys.

You ever hear guitars on current radio stations? That guitar is made from Guitar Pro 5.

Yep, you heard it. All music nowadays is just synths.

You hear those guitars on those Taylor Swift concerts?

Nope, those are synth guitars. Have you ever heard of one?

This is an example of one of the greatest breakthroughs in history since Moog.

Do you see all those rock bands performing without synths? Real rock, as some may call it? Well, get this. There are wires connected to guitars, and those don't go to those amps you see behind them while they are playing. They go a man in the back twiddling around on a keyboard, then they go out to the loudspeakers.

But what about the acoustic guitars, sir?
Don't let the wood deceive you, child.
kagendew
30 IQ
Ignore the jerks who say you are destined for McDonalds. If you truly are passionate about something you should follow it, but you need to look at yourself and REALLY KNOW that it is what you love more than anything else. My advice? Go to a college with lots of things to offer and take some time to try out anything that sounds even remotely interesting. Sometimes you'll find that what you loved about music is shared in another field. A lot of stereotypes about what majors and degrees are going to get you a job are just ignorant. Look at facts. Look at YOUR VALUES. Always remember that there is a lot more to defining how successful you are going to be than what concentration is written after "Bachelor of Science/Arts in..." Feel free to email me at kagendewey@gmail if you need someone to talk to about it. Cheers!
Wiegenlied
Registered Usurper
1,620 IQ
Quote by penguit

Oh so to create something 'new' do the exact same thing everyone else is doing right now? Makes sense
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,744 IQ
If you have to ask on here, then it's probably not for you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
mtshark
is the bees knees
1,497 IQ
Quote by piratemetalhead
I honestly wouldnt suggest blowing ten grand a year on a high reputation type of music school though haha.

I've looked at high reputation music schools... They cost more than ten grand a year.
I pride myself on my humility.
smartguyreviews
Kenny G on Ecstacy
863 IQ
If you want a career in playing, do a cheap undergrad in music performance/education. Go to a bigger name school for a masters in performance. Odds are, a good 10% of the people you go to school with at a graduate level will be able to sustain themselves as musicians. Having them as contacts is going to be vital.