Page 1 of 6
Post gimmicks you see musicians do that you really aren't impressed by (but their fans probably think they're the greatest thing because they do it).

I'll start.

Unusual time signatures.

Slower, more moody acoustic covers of pop songs. Not necessarily a gimmick, but oh well.

Dubstep covers of video game music.
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 30, 2012,
Hot female singer
Stage Names
Flamboyant costumes
Check out my band Disturbed
If done right odd time sigs can really spice up a riff or two IMO.

Brakadons.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
I wouldn't say odd time signatures is a gimmick but what the hey.

I'd say whatever the hell Dillinger Escape Plan were doing when I saw them open for SOAD. Flailing around like god damn idiots. It was just embarrassing.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I kind of agree with the unusual time signatures sometimes. I usually see something like "zomg song is so technical, it's in 9/4 time!" then you listen to it, and it's not difficult to play.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
'poetic' lyrics. Not that I don't appreciate nice and evocative lyrics. But some bands try too hard.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
I listen to math rock and the OP rustles my jimmies. How are odd time signatures a gimmick?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I love unusual time signatures, trying to follow all the details of their rhythms and usually being mind****ed by them.

Not a gimmick really but I generally hate synths in music.
Quote by sebastian_96
I wouldn't say odd time signatures is a gimmick but what the hey.

I'd say whatever the hell Dillinger Escape Plan were doing when I saw them open for SOAD. Flailing around like god damn idiots. It was just embarrassing.

They put on the best live show of anyone ever. Your opinion is wrong.
Also, the use of melisma with female singers (especially, though not exclusively black singers). When Christina Aguilara ends every line, she has to sing a pentatonic blues riff at the end of every syllable. Shit gets old after a while.
Quote by goest
Periphery.

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that...

OT:
Dressing up like KISS.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 30, 2012,
Quote by JustRooster
I listen to math rock and the OP rustles my jimmies. How are odd time signatures a gimmick?
I dunno, I've heard people say "Dude check this out this track is in 27/8 time signature, then it switches to 13/2 here, and now it moves to 17/16 here." I'm just like "So what?"
Quote by The Madcap
I dunno, I've heard people say "Dude check this out this track is in 27/8 time signature, then it switches to 13/2 here, and now it moves to 17/16 here." I'm just like "So what?"

It creates an interesting rhythm and pattern of notes. How is it any less valid than gushing over some clever chord progression or voice leading?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ErikLensherr
'poetic' lyrics. Not that I don't appreciate nice and evocative lyrics. But some bands try too hard.

Yeah, get that deep shit out of here.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
I can see what you're saying, Madcap. Being in an odd signature for the sake of being in an odd signature is pretty showy and pretentious.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by goest
Periphery.

This, and djent as a whole really.

Quote by soundgarden1986
Metal versions of pop songs. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

This, especially when it's either shitty generic deathcore or shitty generic instrumental hard rock. This goes for "metal" versions of video game tunes as well.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by The Madcap

yeah, if you have to do math to "understand" or "get" a piece of music, it's stupid. If it sounds stupid, it sounds stupid.
Quote by )v(egaFan90
Yeah, get that deep shit out of here.

Yes that's it. 2deep4me
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by The Madcap
Also, the use of melisma with female singers (especially, though not exclusively black singers). When Christina Aguilara ends every line, she has to sing a pentatonic blues riff at the end of every syllable. Shit gets old after a while.

This for sure
Gotta say I agree with the Madcap on the time signature thing. Although it pains me, because one of my favorite duets, The Mantis and the Moon, has fairly complex timing and time signatures throughout.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

They're just an instrument....

Anyway, I can't really think of anything that other people haven't already said.
Quote by goest
They put on the best live show of anyone ever. Your opinion is wrong.

Haven't seen their live show, but it's a pity their music is fucking terrible then.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by TheChaz

They're just an instrument....

Anyway, I can't really think of anything that other people haven't already said.

I guess I mean mainly the 80s stuff where it's extremely noticable.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Synths are a double-edged sword. When used right, they fill in some of those holes in the mix. Of course, most of the time they're used wrong and it turns a song into 80's bubblegum pop.

I use them all the time but keep them low in the mix so it adds detail without taking away focus from the main instrument or vocals.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Haven't seen their live show, but it's a pity their music is fucking terrible then.

DEP > you
Quote by The Madcap

This, so much!
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Weird time signatures are at their best when you don't even notice that they're weird. 70s rock and prog had a lot of stuff that didn't sound weird even though it had lots of dropped beats and/or time shifts... See "Spirit of the Radio" or "The Ocean" if you don't believe. But like most thing time signatures can become a gimmick when they're basically forced...

But slow acoustic covers of almost anything should be a punishable offense. I'm also sick of these "folk" and "bluegrass" types infiltrating indie rock who refuse to use any electric instruments or proper percussion because "tradition" or something. BANJO IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE CRESCENDO INSTRUMENT; here's an electric guitar plugged into a Marshall, try that instead, FFS. Also get a drummer! I know they're usually window-licking mad, but that's part of the fun! >
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lockwolf
Synths are a double-edged sword. When used right, they fill in some of those holes in the mix. Of course, most of the time they're used wrong and it turns a song into 80's bubblegum pop.

I use them all the time but keep them low in the mix so it adds detail without taking away focus from the main instrument or vocals.

You're both either listening to the wrong artists or just using them wrong.

Quote by RadioMuse
BANJO IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE CRESCENDO INSTRUMENT

Banjo is acceptable in any situation in both music and life in general.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 30, 2012,
Quote by theogonia777
You're both either listening to the wrong artists or just using them wrong.

Theres no right or wrong with music, except Pop Music.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp