Page 4 of 6
Quote by The Madcap
I'll be honest, Xiaoxi, I was expecting more Prog Rock-bitching from you in this thread.

psh that shit is so far off in my rear view mirrors, I can't even see it no mo!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
8/9 string guitars.

Falsetto male singers of "djent" who might scream every couple songs to prove they are too hardcore.

Bad amp modelling guitar tones.

Black metal (the worst offender of being gimmicky although I still like a couple bands).
Quote by bluestratplayer
I want blackstar. Here's a mustang buy it. Ok.

I imagine the dialog went something like this.
Quote by NothingRocks
I don't know if this could be considered a gimmick, but basslines that are purely the root notes of the chords annoy me.

that's just lazy. i think bands could do with two bass sources, one for sub that follows the chords and one that does something interesting
Quote by NothingRocks
I don't know if this could be considered a gimmick, but basslines that are purely the root notes of the chords annoy me.

While I generally agree, it can be used to build up a pretty bitching crescendo.

It's one of those things that has to be used right or not at all.
Quote by goest
While I generally agree, it can be used to build up a pretty bitching crescendo.

It's one of those things that has to be used right or not at all.

Oh, I don't mind if it's used as a build up or for emphasis on a certain chord. I just don't like it when it's all root notes through out the song.
Last edited by NothingRocks at Oct 1, 2012,
Quote by NothingRocks
Oh, I don't mind if it's used as a build up or for emphasis on a certain chord. I just don't like it when it's all root notes through out the song.

yeah, it's like, put some notes leading into some other notes or something. may as well be a kick drum...
All this deathcore bands (with all their fanatic teen fans) being emo, having black makeup, having useless breakdowns and growling about all kinds of emo crap and then they call themselves true metalheads
I can't stand these Dbag guys where their entire goal is to be as hardcore and brutal as possible i had a few guys try out for my band who told me straight to my face your not metal because you don't play in drop c and take that melody out melody's just aren't brutal enough
Quote by Androidjoey
I can't stand these Dbag guys where their entire goal is to be as hardcore and brutal as possible i had a few guys try out for my band who told me straight to my face your not metal because you don't play in drop c and take that melody out melody's just aren't brutal enough
the are quite annoying. Their idea of real metal is that is has to be "superbrootal". Metal isn't just about brutalness. Listen to Iron Maiden: not exactly brutal, but one of the finest and greatest real metal bands ever.
Quote by louis van wyk
the are quite annoying. Their idea of real metal is that is has to be "superbrootal". Metal isn't just about brutalness. Listen to Iron Maiden: not exactly brutal, but one of the finest and greatest real metal bands ever.

Iron Maiden is my main influence hehehe
Quote by theogonia777
This, and djent as a whole really.

This, especially when it's either shitty generic deathcore or shitty generic instrumental hard rock. This goes for "metal" versions of video game tunes as well.

There are a lot of good ones though, like this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiOP5IrWwgw
Quote by captaincrunk
we don't say FACKING

Speak for your FACKING self, ya FACK.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Zakk Wylde. You can only perform so many pinch harmonics in a second.
Yngwie Malmsteen. You can only perform so many notes in a second.
Christina Aguilera. You can only perform so many blues notes in a sentence.
Madonna. Just... Madonna.
Kirk Hammet. You can only perform so many pedal flicks in a solo.

Last one.

Elvis Presley. You can only perform so many bowel movements. Viva Las Restroom !
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I've seen him do that at APC shows, or how he hides in the back, I've seen too many "theories" on that, so I don't know what exactly that is.

Maynard said in a recent interview with Joe Rogan that the reason he hides towards the back is because he's very sensitive to camera flash, I guess he would get seizures or something. Seems like a good move if it affected him that much.
Too many sound effects or samples in a song. Especially added vinyl crackle. It's been done to ****ing death. Write a good riff or chord progression instead.
Quote by entity0009
And to contribute to the thread- forced "American" accents in -core bands and the occasional indie band.

Good one.
Solos that comprise almost entirely of sweep picking.

Chugga-chugga one-note songs.

Poppy auto-tuned choruses in metal songs.

Key change for the final chorus can work but usually comes off gimmicky as hell.

Rappers saying their name 6 times before the song starts.

Overuse of fast double kick / blast beats in place of an actual groove.
On-stage moves to show off.
Pulling stupid faces when you're not even playing that hard.
Key changes. Utterly cringe-worthy.

EDIT: Half-timing the last chorus to make it more emotional.

And maybe... Stage names, costumes, routines and hot female singers.
Last edited by ctb at Oct 1, 2012,
a guitar solo that lasts over a minute

Picth changes make me cringe.

Cheesy stage names

Emo makeup

Boy-meets-girl songs
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Random3

Rappers saying their name 6 times before the song starts.

I hate it more when they spend the opening of the song introducing the rapper, "awwe sheeit, you know who dat is? uh, yo nigga Horsedick.MPEG is in da house! Yeah, uh yeah, baddest nigga of them all. Uh Horsedick.muthafugginMPEG uh, awee hell"
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I hate it more when they spend the opening of the song introducing the rapper, "awwe sheeit, you know who dat is? uh, yo nigga Horsedick.MPEG is in da house! Yeah, uh yeah, baddest nigga of them all. Uh Horsedick.muthafugginMPEG uh, awee hell"

Agreed. It's like the point of the song is for them to prove to themselves how cool they are.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

I thought that was just convention in rap.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
It's imbecilic to dismiss all key changes as gimmicks. The whole of ****ing music is thereby a gimmick.
Guitar solos that doesn't cooperate with the rest of the music.

I.e most classic rock/hardrock where you just enter this backing track part and the guitarist melts away a deadbeat solo for 1 minute before going back into a tired downbreak before a new chorus and then the guitarist goes at it again and now flips out a little bit more and then into a high end note and the guitar ringing out.

Terrible. Stop writing it or end your musical career. It's been done and it was never very good in the first place.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Picth changes make me cringe.

Sigged
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by The Madcap
Post gimmicks you see musicians do that you really aren't impressed by (but their fans probably think they're the greatest thing because they do it).

I'll start.

Unusual time signatures.

Slower, more moody acoustic covers of pop songs. Not necessarily a gimmick, but oh well.

Dubstep

ftfy
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by ExDementia
I can't believe how many people are saying key changes? Do all of you really limit yourselves to one key per song?

A key change is not a gimmick, it's music itself.

I could say this same thing for everyone that dislikes time changes.