Page 5 of 6
super-guttural growls where you can't understand what the person is saying, like in slam metal or certain death metal bands

a huge-sounding choir of voices all singing a unison note drenched in reverb (30 seconds to mars do this all the time)

any instrument solo that goes on for more than a minute

songs with short verses and long choruses, or that are otherwise built for the express purpose of drawing attention to a catchy chorus with nothing else of note in the music

constant time signature changes or key changes that do nothing other than make the music confusing
Last edited by flame843 at Oct 1, 2012,
uh, full on costumes unless they are a bunch of bikers in leather jackets, ect ect. I mean, dress well to suit the music and your band mates, but the costumes bug me..

also, playing behind the head and back is something that annoys some people, but I do it.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
oh, almost forgot. metal covers of pop songs and video game songs that include no original musical content - i.e, they just put downtuned power chords behind the existing melody and call it a "metal version." if you're going to do things like this, at least throw in some unique compositional elements or something. change a riff, add a riff, change a solo, something!
Guitars with more than on neck
Dressing up/Face paint
Taking a bad song and making a soft acoustic version to it
Singing about a girl
Music videos with alot of pointless special effects
Doing a guitar solo just for having a guitar solo in a song
Having a dancer on stage while performing live or in a music video
Wearing leather pants
Never smiling or showing happiness in order to look 'br00tal'
Doing drugs on camera to look cool/hardcore
Being any member of Kiss
Playing pointy guitars
Being on MTV
Saying 'baby' in your songs without being cynical
Trying to do stuff that were cool in the 70's in the 00's
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by flame843
oh, almost forgot. metal covers of pop songs and video game songs that include no original musical content - i.e, they just put downtuned power chords behind the existing melody and call it a "metal version." if you're going to do things like this, at least throw in some unique compositional elements or something. change a riff, add a riff, change a solo, something!

I've done two video game covers. I don't like when people add new riffs, or add a solo or what not, but I also don't make mine note for note. I'll make some changes like maybe adding a harmony part, or tremelo picking what was original a slow melody, or adjusting a timpani part into a bass guitar part. Basically I feel that I'm trying to rearrange the song, not rewrite it.

I basically 'rearranged' this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFI0UFfAJE
into this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5BojcnEPbk
Quote by flame843

What my band used to be before we got serious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI7XpC06ODI
Quote by flame843
super-guttural growls where you can't understand what the person is saying, like in slam metal or certain death metal bands

a huge-sounding choir of voices all singing a unison note drenched in reverb (30 seconds to mars do this all the time)

any instrument solo that goes on for more than a minute

songs with short verses and long choruses, or that are otherwise built for the express purpose of drawing attention to a catchy chorus with nothing else of note in the music

constant time signature changes or key changes that do nothing other than make the music confusing

??
Playing a few notes really fast.
I mean who actually enjoys hearing that?
Quote by Jehannum
It's imbecilic to dismiss all key changes as gimmicks. The whole of ****ing music is thereby a gimmick.

YES

OH GOD YES
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by mybanez
Playing a few notes really fast.
I mean who actually enjoys hearing that?

It can sound good sometimes, depends on the context of the music...
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
??

slam is a variant of death metal. generally really fast drums with simple guitar parts that mostly play low notes in really low tunings. you could probably just call it "brutal death metal" or something but the vocal style is what really distinguishes it imo. i don't like it, it seems really gimmicky and boring to me. example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Vb1FEAUEc

Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I've done two video game covers. I don't like when people add new riffs, or add a solo or what not, but I also don't make mine note for note. I'll make some changes like maybe adding a harmony part, or tremelo picking what was original a slow melody, or adjusting a timpani part into a bass guitar part. Basically I feel that I'm trying to rearrange the song, not rewrite it.

I basically 'rearranged' this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFI0UFfAJE
into this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5BojcnEPbk

but don't you get bored? don't you feel the need to add your own flavor or personality to the music itself rather than just playing someone else's composition on different instruments? i sometimes make video game covers too but i never come close to doing it note for note, i'd bore myself to sleep.
Quote by flame843

but don't you get bored? don't you feel the need to add your own flavor or personality to the music itself rather than just playing someone else's composition on different instruments?

I feel like it's better to add my own flavor to the parts that are already there than to create truly new stuff. Like, when I hear people add solos that weren't there, I just think "what was the point of putting that in a cover? Why note put the original stuff in an original song"?

Keep in mind my variations would be a bit more drastic if I wasn't covering a song that was already in my preferred genre.
Quote by flame843

but don't you get bored? don't you feel the need to add your own flavor or personality to the music itself rather than just playing someone else's composition on different instruments? i sometimes make video game covers too but i never come close to doing it note for note, i'd bore myself to sleep.

I like playing what the band (or whoever) played. I usually get annoyed when watching covers and people change the songs. Like, they're not actually playing the song.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
but when bands play "perfect" covers, what's the point? if i wanted to hear the original version i'd go see that band, or listen to the original song on CD or something. i would much rather hear a band put a completely different spin on a song, stylistically, compositionally, etc., because it evokes a unique combination of familiarity and surprise. Cake's versions of War Pigs and I Will Survive are good examples of what i'm talking about.

What's the point of just playing someone else's song with no real changes at all? what's being accomplished?
Quote by WCPhils
I like playing what the band (or whoever) played. I usually get annoyed when watching covers and people change the songs. Like, they're not actually playing the song.

Two different kinds of covers really. Sometimes a cover is done just to show that you can do it (like most guitar videos on Youtube). You're not playing it to have any kind of artistic merit. It's just to say, look what I learned to play. And then sometimes you're actually trying to make it your own piece of work.
Quote by Thrill-house
??

Slam death metal is a kind of brutal death metal that relies more in the groovy chuggin' than just blasting and all. It's moshing music basically.
You can't talk about slam withouth talking about Devourment.

http://youtu.be/lpkjLHtylu0
It's neanderthal and retarded, but fun to listen to.

EDIT: Shit flame843 beat me to it but he posted a Devourment that's shitty even by my standards, so yeah
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Last edited by Ometh at Oct 1, 2012,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Two different kinds of covers really. Sometimes a cover is done just to show that you can do it (like most guitar videos on Youtube). You're not playing it to have any kind of artistic merit. It's just to say, look what I learned to play. And then sometimes you're actually trying to make it your own piece of work.

yea, that's true. I guess I was thinking more of the first one
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by flame843
slam is a variant of death metal. generally really fast drums with simple guitar parts that mostly play low notes in really low tunings. you could probably just call it "brutal death metal" or something but the vocal style is what really distinguishes it imo. i don't like it, it seems really gimmicky and boring to me. example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Vb1FEAUEc

That sounds exactly like "normal" death metal to me. I see no point in adding another word to the name of the genre, people really get carried away with that.
Quote by Thrill-house
That sounds exactly like "normal" death metal to me. I see no point in adding another word to the name of the genre, people really get carried away with that.

yeah the differences between metal sub-genres can get pretty subtle. it's not really worth poring over. "slam" wasn't my idea, people just like to be really specific when they classify metal bands for some reason. like, the slightest little variation in sound means it's a different subgenre for some people. personally, i don't give it much thought, like you said, that's just death metal to me.
Quote by Thrill-house

Check my post. If you want I can explain it further, but I don't think you would care
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by The Madcap
I know and I've heard interesting stuff in an unusual time signature, but sometimes I feel like it's purpose is to have an unusual time signature just to be different and...gimmicky.

Like, it's not like the composer came up with a melody they liked, and then they thought "Huh, this happens to be in 11/8," rather than "I want to do some music that does a whole bunch of time signature changes and shit."

It's not gimmicky to not want to play in 4/4.

I write lots of riffs, many 4/4, but I make a lot that naturally are in 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 9/8... I just do it. Granted, I listen to a lot of BTBAM/PTH, so it's rubbed off on me a bit. It can be boring even when you write interesting melodies in 4/4. If I made a riff in 4 that I didn't want to repeat a ton of times, I may add or subtract from it to make it say go from 4/4 to 3/4 to 5/4 then 4/4 again. It makes music feel more like it's pushing and pulling itself rather than just on a one way track.

It CAN be gimmicky when it's purely done to be annoying but a lot of the time if a composer thinks, "I want to make a riff that goes from 7/4 to 6/8" they're not trying to be pretentious or think they're awesome, they just want to branch out and try to do something different than being in freaking 4/4 or 3/4 all of the time. That's what a lot of music is like, it tries to be different, but it's not for everyone. It's not bad if it's not following a standard 4/4 signature.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by StewieSwan
Hot female singer
Stage Names
Flamboyant costumes

My band is guilty of the second two.
Our singer is male, but sometimes gets confused with being a female.

Although to be fair, we are mostly about gimmick and ridiculousness. We all wear make up, myself and my guitarist have on occasion painted most of our body. We wear dresses, paint our faces like skeletons etc etc.

We don't take it seriously though, which I think comes across.
My only fear in doing it is that people assume we're some sort of kvlt metal band.
Quote by Ometh
Check my post. If you want I can explain it further, but I don't think you would care

No need to explain further, I get it. However, I still think people take it way too far with the labeling. Just because the drums are faster or there's a little more "chuggin" shouldn't mean it's a different genre.
Metal.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
After all of the embedded metal songs in the pit recently I've remembered a new one: album covers that include dragons/aliens/mountains/dust/deserted cities/fire/fractals/geometric shapes/anything spiky/people with hair above their ear which is long enough to go past the bottom of their ear/fonts that look damaged etc.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
After all of the embedded metal songs in the pit recently I've remembered a new one: album covers that include dragons/aliens/mountains/dust/deserted cities/fire/fractals/geometric shapes/anything spiky/people with hair above their ear which is long enough to go past the bottom of their ear/fonts that look damaged etc.

And on the other hand, all of the indie albums that just scream "omg, we're so quirky! Look at this album cover. It's just a bunch of random shit throw together in front of a blank background, and gives no clue to this even being music!"
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Thrill-house
No need to explain further, I get it. However, I still think people take it way too far with the labeling. Just because the drums are faster or there's a little more "chuggin" shouldn't mean it's a different genre.

It helps tbh
I prefer Slam Death Metal to regular wanky Brutal Death, so if a band labels itself that way I can predict how they will sound.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Chip tune bands.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Some of these have already been said, but:
Talking or taking samples from films and inserting them into the music.
All black metal gimmicks from the shitty production quality and badly played tremolo picking to the corpse paint, hair, and spiked clothing.
Singers exaggerating their awful yokel accents.
Instrument solos for the sake of having them.
A lot of things (but not all, and with some large exceptions) regarding the "image" of a band/artist/performer.
Unusual time signatures are totally cool when they don't sound forced, as if the band is just trying to squeeze an odd time signature in there.

When it comes to musical gimmicks, my peeves mainly apply to Youtube videos.

I can't stand youtube videos where it's a serious acoustic or "rock" cover of a shitty pop song I don't like (i.e. Eminem, Rihanna, etc). There are so many of those and they do absolutely nothing for me.

I like videogame covers, but I can't stand acoustic love songs based on videogames. That shit is played out. Not charming, not moving, not funny. Just lame.

It's also annoying how a hot chick strumming a lame, simple song on an acoustic will get a ton of views and adoration simply because she is a hot chick.

Last but not least, although I am impressed by the youtube videos where it shows a person using a bunch of unusual instruments, or playing multiple instruments at once, or whatever, all of that seems gimmicky to me and totally takes away from the music. It's about the song, not how many different instruments you used to make it.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, but someone has got to agree with me on these.
Last edited by MrDo0m at Oct 1, 2012,
Quote by MrDo0m

Last but not least, although I am impressed by the youtube videos where it shows a person using a bunch of unusual instruments, or playing multiple instruments at once, or whatever, all of that seems gimmicky to me and totally takes away from the music. It's about the song, not how many different instruments you used to make it.

The opposite of one person playing many instruments is also annoying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M
A, A#/Bb, B, C, C#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing up like KISS.

or everything KISS does in general. the entire band is a gimmick.
This whole guitar thing. Cannot wait till it is out of style and we go back to the Piano.
Quote by TunerAddict
This whole guitar thing. Cannot wait till it is out of style and we go back to the Piano.

I can piss out of a skyscraper and my driblets will hit at least a handful of proficient classical pianists. Dime a dozen. That shit's been played out, homie
My God, it's full of stars!