Page 2 of 4
Quote by element4433
I like that too.

I like when a song cuts out at a noisy point and it's just acoustic for a bit, then kicks back in.

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WgqX_KXmc90#t=172s

me too.

sampling from movies and shit always gets me too. there's a few songs i love mostly because i love the sound clip that's in the beginning/end.

Dillinger Four probably has sound clips in 90% of their songs and i ****ing love it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
The staccato-y bits in Prog Metal songs mostly in which the keyboard player, guitarist, and possibly the bassist play in unison or each play a note after each other. The solo section of Metropolis Pt. 1 is a good example of the former. Behold The Arctopus' Transient Exuberance and Dream Theater's Erotomania are the best examples I can think of for the latter off the top of my head.
- riffs that don't fall evenly into measures
- distorted guitar harmonics + whammy bar
- anything crazy with the whammy bar, really
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by element4433
I like that too.

I like when a song cuts out at a noisy point and it's just acoustic for a bit, then kicks back in.

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WgqX_KXmc90#t=172s

A cousin of the DROP IT! wait, kill it. DROP IT AGAIN! move I mentioned earlier

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
A cousin of the DROP IT! wait, kill it. DROP IT AGAIN! move I mentioned earlier
Yep. Love drops.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by NothingRocks
The staccato-y bits in Prog Metal songs mostly in which the keyboard player, guitarist, and possibly the bassist play in unison or each play a note after each other. The solo section of Metropolis Pt. 1 is a good example of the former. Behold The Arctopus' Transient Exuberance and Dream Theater's Erotomania are the best examples I can think of for the latter off the top of my head.

the midsection of 21st Century Schizoid Man

And I've got to learn that for a performance soon... ah fuark
Quote by NothingRocks
Acoustic sections in Metal songs.

Like 3:45 into this:

And 4 minutes into this:
or like, when they layer acoustic guitars over the electric guitars. That's awesome. Happens quite a bit in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9QCK6l6gKg

And the acoustic section at 4:25 is awesome.

I love the acoustic sections from this band.
Soft verse heavy chorus

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jetfuel495
or like, when they layer acoustic guitars over the electric guitars. That's awesome.

My favourite use of this is "Sometimes" by My Blood Valentine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0dJqlvOSq4

It's almost like the acoustic guitar sound is only there for the strumming pick attack sound, it just blends with the distorted guitar to make such a unique, smooth and pleasing sound

Actually, it may just be a recording of an unplugged electric or something, but the effect it makes is just so cool haha
Ballads. Ballads with big violin arangements and a big, BIG! guitar solo

Also Funkmetal and the use of octavers
Syd Barrett. He's a big gimick himself.

And his melodies, voice and lyrics are briliant.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
personally i really love it when the vocals are the first thing you hear in a song, not sure if that would be considered a gimmick though
When the ending of the song is a Solo that intertwines with the vocals e.g Paradise City and Catcher In The Rye by GnR.

When the singer says something like "yeah" or "oh" and it instantly goes into a pure shred solo with no other build up.

Shred intros/outros
Guitar harmonies.

Staccato.

Harmony singing.

Pentatonic boxes (sometimes).

'Yeahs' if they're done well.

Glam-coloured guitars.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
stage names rule.

also, bands who wear costumes/conceal their faces (The Locust, Devo, The Browns, Hewhocannotbenamed)

Ghost.
banned
I liked the costumes in The Lion King.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I like when you have people singing different things at the same time. I don't really know how to say it :/

Kind of like when the lyrics overlap. Protest does it a lot on Kezia.

This song has a little bit of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHg1rKzWuE

Idk really
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
I like when you have people singing different things at the same time. I don't really know how to say it :/

I think i know what you mean and i agree. Its not an overly done cliche and it sounds cool if the lyrics are cool.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
the use of the word 'funk' as the primary lyric in funk
EDIT: detuning the bass/guitar to fit the last chord of a song
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Oct 1, 2012,
Quote by moody git
the use of the word 'funk' as the primary lyric in funk

+1
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
I'm a sucker for gang vocal "whoas" and audience participatory "heys." In fact, anything where the audience is encouraged to wail along tends to sound pretty epic.

I also like straight-eighth 4/4 snare hits right before an epic part.

Key change bridges are cool.

Clean intros as well.
Last edited by MrDo0m at Oct 1, 2012,
Quote by jetfuel495
or like, when they layer acoustic guitars over the electric guitars. That's awesome. Happens quite a bit in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9QCK6l6gKg

And the acoustic section at 4:25 is awesome.

I love the acoustic sections from this band.

Holy shit this song takes me back :3
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
When the beat stops just as the MC says his punchline.
IV-iv-I
you're a stone fox
Quote by piratemetalhead
My favourite use of this is "Sometimes" by My Blood Valentine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0dJqlvOSq4

It's almost like the acoustic guitar sound is only there for the strumming pick attack sound, it just blends with the distorted guitar to make such a unique, smooth and pleasing sound

Actually, it may just be a recording of an unplugged electric or something, but the effect it makes is just so cool haha

So now I have to listen to that whole album.
you're a stone fox
When a rapper/hiphop artist tell "the producer" to drop the beat and it works very well, ala:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0vjTqEbnA0

Also, i LOVE tasteful use of guitars in rap/hip hop music. The Northern Lights are really awesome about it. Some of the songs are instrumental (ala Explosions in the Sky) with some sweet guitar solos and some are awesome hip hop with great beats.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by jetfuel495
You've been missing out

I meant to add "again" to the end of that.
you're a stone fox
I looked up the definitions for 'gimmick', 'songwriting techniques', and 'music theory'.

Turns out they're not synonymous.

edit: @ dreadnaught: nice find that song sounds really nice
Last edited by Casualist at Oct 1, 2012,