Page 1 of 2
BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
i dont mean to sound like a newbie but when you see a band they usually have mountains of equipment behind them. i just got in a band but have nothing but an amp and guitar. what is all that gear and might i need it?
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
You don't need any gear at all, seriously. Just airguitar and jump off a building to your death.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Venues usually provide the microphones and everything All you need is a guitar and an amp.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

damian_91
246 IQ
You need at least 4, maybe 9 Axe FXs.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
Quote by Ometh
You don't need any gear at all, seriously. Just airguitar and jump off a building to your death.

thats a bit aggressive.. xD
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
What you really need is a new amp. Or two. Or three. Or ten! That might not even be enough. Also you probably need at least a half dozen more guitars. And at least three dozen pedals, probably a lot more, all set up on pedal boards so that no assembly is required. Multieffect units are no good since they are not tweakable enough. You need a wireless thing, a dozen rack mounted units, and a rug to put all of your pedals and stuff on.

You also need a guitar tech and various other personnel, but that's for another discussion.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please. This as well.
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall
thats a bit aggressive.. xD

It's the only way you'll get famous in this city. Or we could arrange a deal if you please my trouser buddy, if you know what i mean
Quote by slapsymcdougal
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
Guitarists with a ton of gear are usually hiding their mediocre songs/playing. Don't sweat it.
666atheist666
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
Well, behind all that stuff is this thing called a drummer. It looks a bit like a person, but it isn't really.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan
Guitarists with a ton of gear are usually hiding their mediocre songs/playing. Don't sweat it.

Guitarist that say things like this are usually hiding their jealously over their lack of really cool gear of their own.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
Guitarist that say things like this are usually hiding their jealously over their lack of really cool gear of their own.

Nah
666atheist666
BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
it just doesnt seem like just an amp would cut it. idk where to look as far as modules to link amps together or sound gates or whatever the ****
Last edited by BlackSnowsFall at Oct 1, 2012,
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall
it just doesnt seem like just an amp would cut it. idk where to look as far as modules to link amps together or sound gates or whatever the ****

If that's the case, you might as well just resign to the world of acoustic folk music.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall

I played a gig on Friday and my tone was basically just me, my guitar and my amp Only ran two pedals: tuner and volume boost for solos.

You use exactly as much gear as you need to in order to get the sounds you need. Big bands have big setups because they have to deal with power differences between countries and they like to emulate the tones they used in the studio so they have delays, reverbs, overdrives, phasers and switching systems to deal with all that. Once you factor all that in it's a lot but you don't need most of it to play a show if you like your tones simple.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I played a gig on Friday and my tone was basically just me, my guitar and my amp Only ran two pedals: tuner and volume boost for solos.

You use exactly as much gear as you need to in order to get the sounds you need. Big bands have big setups because they have to deal with power differences between countries and they like to emulate the tones they used in the studio so they have delays, reverbs, overdrives, phasers and switching systems to deal with all that. Once you factor all that in it's a lot but you don't need most of it to play a show if you like your tones simple.

thanks bro that makes me feel a lot better
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall
nah **** that (referring to the folk music thing xD)

How about fuck you
666atheist666
BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
Quote by institutions
Someone sounds jealous that folk music is best music.

>.>
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

This; a lot of the musos I know might own a shedload of pedals and stuff, but generally use only 3 or 4 live(including tuner and a volume/other pedal to cut the signal going to the amp).
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall
nah **** that (referring to the folk music thing xD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbpANkYhjHM
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall

Venues mic up the amps anyway. Or at least they do around here. I've played about 100 gigs with just a bass and an amp I played in an Opera House with just an amp. You don't need anything else.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan
How about fuck you

you're very mean aren't you
Quote by slapsymcdougal
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by Ometh
you're very mean aren't you

I guess not everyone can be super nice and friendly and helpful like you are.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
I guess not everyone can be super nice and friendly and helpful like you are.

nice.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall
ohhkay anyway.. what should i use for recording?

Recording what exactly. Very different equipment is needed for recording pop music or acoustic folk music or punk or jazz. Not only the genre, but exactly what type of instrument and your budget are very important to know as well.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
i have a bc rich warlock (the good kind) running on a peavey vypyr. id describe what we play as punk i guess and im not on much of a budget
ma_tt11
Threadkiller
889 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall
i have a bc rich warlock (the good kind) running on a peavey vypyr. id describe what we play as punk i guess and im not on much of a budget

I lol'd
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
flame843
stop the munati
2,314 IQ
a lot of bands have cabinets full of expensive mixers and rack units (reverbs, virtual amps, etc) that are separate from their actual amplifiers. mostly this stuff is there to help the band get a very specific, controlled sound, but for the most part if you're not playing huge venues or don't feel the need to tweak your sound to a super-duper-professional degree you don't need any of it.
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall

Get a cheap usb to guitar thingy and Guitar Rig (the free kind if you know what I mean). It won't cost you much.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall

Given that you're playing a vypyr I very much doubt that you're playing "the good kind" of BC Rich.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
thanks all for your help i think we've all grown a little bit from this
BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Given that you're playing a vypyr I very much doubt that you're playing "the good kind" of BC Rich.

lol nah the vypyrs alright i dont think any other amp would survive getting dropped down stairs like this one did
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by BlackSnowsFall
lol nah the vypyrs alright i dont think any other amp would survive getting dropped down stairs like this one did

Judging amps solely on their ability to survive falling down stairs? That's a new one.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

BlackSnowsFall
12 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
Judging amps solely on their ability to survive falling down stairs? That's a new one.

being a dick on the internet? thats a new one