Page 3 of 4
Personally, I'd go for the Orange.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The orange was easily the nicest, that was easy. The Line6 is cheap and price/performance is great. The Marshall was also nice, I wasn't able to compare them as good as I can with guitars. I was thinking about getting a little hand recorder to take in with me to analyze at home.

The smaller the better cause of space, but also cause I will probably just record with it, and if I do play with drums I can Mic It or something.
I am not fully versed in amplification for live settings, just recording. But do people use these smaller combo amps on stage? I use to have a little fender and a peavy, and I could never get them over the drums...then again people told me that drummer hit to hard.

What is the ideal setup, a Cabinet and Head for a half stack, or a nice combo amp that is mid'd?
Quote by RyanStorm13
The orange was easily the nicest, that was easy. The Line6 is cheap and price/performance is great. The Marshall was also nice, I wasn't able to compare them as good as I can with guitars. I was thinking about getting a little hand recorder to take in with me to analyze at home.

The smaller the better cause of space, but also cause I will probably just record with it, and if I do play with drums I can Mic It or something.

you are still flipping back and fourth. an hour ago you wanted something that could hold its own with a drummer. 15watts will do it, but not clean and not paticuarly great. i have a dual terror and i love it. its 30 watts and i have gigged with it boosted for metal. its a nice amp.

then you say you like the spiders, which i am sure everybody on here once they got something sounding decent realized how poor the spiders are.

then you say something along the lines of wanting a marshall, likely based off of the brand. the MA really doesn't sound that good. the vintage modern would maybe work for you but are probably out of budget.

go play some different amps and develop your opinion. don't look at the brand name on the amp. honestly IMO i don't think marshall has done anything great past the JCM800 and the JCM900SLX. the DSL50's aren't as bad but there are much better quality products that are designed after the JCM800 and sound better. check out splawn for instance, a quickrod will kill any marshall ever made. i have a promod and a nitro, both KT88.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Mr. Analyzer, I would like to get a smaller watt cause they are cheaper, and they usually work better when recording. I posted them cause I wanted an opinion or thought not a in-depth review of my post.
I think I have played every amp except the fender ones, the links were to some of the ones I liked more, although the line6 I tried I think was a cheaper one.
I remember the other two cause its called tiny terror and the marshall ma series, I might have played a less watt on the marshall maybe the 50w, but they usually sound the same.

I just liked the spiders back when I used it, I mean why does everything I like have to be something great and top of the line. Maybe I like things for their price/performance over their performance/popularity.

If you asked your friend about a trumpet, and he said a couple brand names, but mentioned a particular one named "marshall", you wouldn't take his advice, and you wouldn't check out the "marshall" trumpets?
It doesn't take a genius to know that a lot of people use marshall, and even if I did try just because of the name, then what does it matter, everything I have ever tried is because I read about them or saw someone I admire using it, either way I found a nice amp.

I haven't bought anything, I am planning on taking my guitar into GC and trying them out. It would be a no brainer on any of the highend equipment but I like to get nice deals and save money. I have used most of them or a version of them. I am still discovering what I want and need, I am just guessing I probably just need a 50w tops, but I don't know yet.
Quote by RyanStorm13
Mr. Analyzer, I would like to get a smaller watt cause they are cheaper, and they usually work better when recording. I posted them cause I wanted an opinion or thought not a in-depth review of my post.
I think I have played every amp except the fender ones, the links were to some of the ones I liked more, although the line6 I tried I think was a cheaper one.
I remember the other two cause its called tiny terror and the marshall ma series, I might have played a less watt on the marshall maybe the 50w, but they usually sound the same.

I just liked the spiders back when I used it, I mean why does everything I like have to be something great and top of the line. Maybe I like things for their price/performance over their performance/popularity.

If you asked your friend about a trumpet, and he said a couple brand names, but mentioned a particular one named "marshall", you wouldn't take his advice, and you wouldn't check out the "marshall" trumpets?
It doesn't take a genius to know that a lot of people use marshall, and even if I did try just because of the name, then what does it matter, everything I have ever tried is because I read about them or saw someone I admire using it, either way I found a nice amp.

I haven't bought anything, I am planning on taking my guitar into GC and trying them out. It would be a no brainer on any of the highend equipment but I like to get nice deals and save money. I have used most of them or a version of them. I am still discovering what I want and need, I am just guessing I probably just need a 50w tops, but I don't know yet.

I suggest making a "which amp" thread in the gear section.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Actually, no they're not...at least not until Audi bought them a few years ago.

For example, the old Countach had incredible cabin noise, has scissor-wing doors that were difficult to work with, steering and shifters so heavy that you needed to have Popeye's biceps to use them (parking them is a nightmare). Some even let a bit of fuel or exhaust stench into the cabin... Not only that, but they're so low that nobody can get out of them without looking somewhat foolish.

Just sayin'.

I do not nor do I pretend to know anything about cars. But I think that the point of the statement was conveyed.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RyanStorm13
If I keep the ec-1000 I will get new stings and get her setup and probably do the 18v mod. After I finish I will be looking for a tube amp

18 volt mod is great, really opens the EMGs up. I have two guitars with EMGs and I run them both at 18 volts. Also tube amps are definitely the way to go, a decent one will stun with its sound.
Quote by RyanStorm13
Does anyone play their guitar through their software?? I am all digital, but I have the cables to run to my bass amp or my Bx5a's.
I know I can get any effect in the book and simulated tube amp, but I know that you can't replace traditional tube amps, just like digital synth will never replace analog.

I do use it for recording. I mean it is all very well saying you can't match the "atmosphere" of a real amp but to be honest if you're doing a recording, I would challenge anyone on here to tell me they can tell the difference between a VST and a well-recorded tube amp on a recording.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
I do use it for recording. I mean it is all very well saying you can't match the "atmosphere" of a real amp but to be honest if you're doing a recording, I would challenge anyone on here to tell me they can tell the difference between a VST and a well-recorded tube amp on a recording.

Have to agree, I use guitar rig for all my recording and when setup right it sounds simply amazing! I will be experimenting with recording from the pre-amp of my newly acquired 6505+ head though as it sounded so dam good in the studio last night.
I would challenge anyone on here to tell me they can tell the difference between a VST and a well-recorded tube amp on a recording.

Eric Johnson could tell...and because you said that, he's going to be leaving coal in your gig-bag.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Eric Johnson could tell...and because you said that, he's going to be leaving coal in your gig-bag.

I seriously doubt that you could. Would you have any idea that pretty much all modern prog records are done with DAW's and solid state amplifiers these days?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
when you come into a thread and you see eric johnson's name you know shit is ****ed up.

TS - if you haven't, go to GG&A and make a "what amp for me?" thread. but read the stickied threads first.

kthxbai
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I seriously doubt that you could. Would you have any idea that pretty much all modern prog records are done with DAW's and solid state amplifiers these days?

I probably COULD tell you...'cause I read the liner notes on my CDs like a fiend.

But you're right, the people who can tell what is tube and what is SS on a recording are far & few between. Which is why I brought up EJ.

HE can smell SS amps on the radio, and he once told a guy he was out of tune before he played a single note, just by looking at the guy's guitar...from behind...on SKYPE.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

But you're right, the people who can tell what is tube and what is SS on a recording are far & few between.

And they're getting even fewer and further between too. DAW's and solid states these days sound like god.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

You're probably right... as could probably about half the people on BassChat. But that is a story for a different day.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by DSOTM80
So where's the ESP?

Did no-one tell you? You need to use your ESP to see it.
EH

I tried some more guitars out today. I have a friend whos brother has a nice collection. He is a PRS fan, but he had an american tele, and it was actually really nice to play.

I went to GC later on saturday, and they have the american tele's that I thought were ok, but they had the Mexican John5 signature, I was almost compelled to get it, if I had my guitar in my car, I probably would have brought it home. They also had the Gibson Studio Silverburst, but the price was knocked down so I couldn't use a coupon, but I wasn't really liking the other studios they had, just that one and the more expensive wine red.
They had an Angus Young SG, but it was 1700$, I kind of wanted it, but it was too much.

I will stick with this guitar for awhile. The other choices are also great, but not an easy pick as it was with the EC-1000. The only problem I am having is, that I only like the EMG 60. The 81 isn't clean, so when I put in my effects they don't sound as good when I am using a clean tone.
You mean you're getting distortion from the 81 alone?? I have two guitars with an 81 in the bridge and while not the best for clean stuff they are still clean if i'm not using any distortion.

Glad you decided to hang on to the LTD btw, they are good guitars.
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at Oct 7, 2012,
Without effects they work great, its just when I put on my Tone port or amplitube it sounds better on 60 alone.

I was pretty happy with the performance of the 81, I am more satisfied with the 60. I just did all these recordings from metal to country, to see how each one sounds, and the majority of the recordings sound better on the 60, except the thrash metal stuff.
Aah right yeah I get you. I think that would make sense, I think the 81 is only really suited to metal as well, If i do other things I tend to switch to the 85 at the neck. Although I think a large part of this is that in the neck position things always sound a little warmer regardless of what pickup is actually sitting there.
its really easy to swap EMG's they have a little plug they use that attaches to the pickup. you could literally throw an EMG in there without taking off your strings, (you gotta loosen them up, then you can slide it through carefull not to scratch the screws from the mounted ring). i have done that multiple times.

another thing with emg's is that i am sure you could find sombody on CL wanting to trade EMG's flat out or a few bucke either way just depending on who wants it worse.

i have a pair of 81's on a droptuned Gibson SG and they are badass. i have them each wired to a single switch, no pots at all, just one switch for neck pickup one for bridge. turn them both on and it screams, one at a time sounds great too. that guitar is bastardized. i woodburned some tattoo artwork onto it. its a cheap gibson and i know i wont get rid of it. so the other holes are open.

i will stop rampling.

keep it short.

EMG's have a plug for pickups. no need to solder to switch. you will likely find a strait trade for another or maybe a few bucks either way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
We can change the name of the thread to

Headline: "My New Gibson"

Subtitle "No its not an epiphone".

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Alpine White on Gold Covered 490/498's, and I got a Gibson hard case. Its not a Satin or Faded, its a a smooth white paint, that's glossy.

I can post some pictures after MNF, I got to meet up at the sports bar soon.

All I can say was, I went back today for like 3 hours, and I played almost every guitar model, and decided why mess around. The eclipse 2, american tele, and the gibson sg's just didn't feel as good.

What was sweet though, I paid $100 less than tag price and still got 2 years insurance, thanks Columbus? I think he under-charged me when adding credit from my LTD.

The guys there told me the VOX valatronix is one of the best modeling amps. They had the 40 watt for $200, I might go back and get it, cause I read online, and it is highly recommended for modeling.
Wait, so you traded the LTD for Gibson after all the fuss you made about how much better the LTD was and how the EMGs were perfect for you? You might be the most indecisive person I've ever had contact with.

The Valvetronix is pretty sweet. However, if you intend to play metal, a Peavey Vypyr 30 would be a better choice.
My logical brain sometimes makes rash decisions.

I thought my LTD was $800 out the door, but it was about $900 with my warranty. For an extra $200, I got the Gibson Studio. If you count the case I got, that about covers the difference.

After I tested the EMG's the other day, I wasn't as satisfied with the 81. It had way more out put, but that was easily adjusted into the 60 to replicate the same sound. But it was impossible to get the 81 to adjust to others.

When I click in POD Farm, for instance "crazy train", I get Randy Rhodes sound. On the 60, its sounds perfectly like the record. With the 81, it would "overpower" the sound. That vamped up sound made it hard to do anything but thrash metal, even then I preferred the 60.

What exactly made me change my mind, was when I played the alpine studio. When I saw the exact same 2012 Gibson LP Studios but in silverburst and black for $1400(on instant rebate, meaning no extra coupon or discount), and saw this one for $1099(with no instant rebate, meaning I got an additional $165 off), I picked it up.

After playing on it without the amp, I couldn't believe how smooth this one played. I tried the cheaper Gibsons Studios, thinking this model was one of the lesser ones that I didn't like, such as the black with open humbuckers, but it wasn't!

I mean she was total tits and only $100 more($200 with warranty). The LTD had low action and smooth neck, but you know that feel of a real solid gibson, well this one was better than that. I mean not one fret buzzed, all the others buzzed on the 12 and higher, especially on the EAD strings. I guess these ones also have Granadillo fingerboards, and what was the deal maker....the 60s slim taper profile is why it felt so good to me, it wasn't one of the 50s rounded like all the other studios. Plus it has the 490/498 instead of 490t/490r, burst/pro buckers.
Against the EMG's I am not 100% sure, I realized that the gibsons I tried didn't have the 498t. I will record tonight and see how they stack, I guess I can make a youtube video.

So I paid $1107 out the door with the alpine studio in my case. This guitar online right now, is $1400 plus tax and(or) shipping. I saved $300+, and got a $100 2 year warranty. I can't beat that price/performance, not to mention my other equation: future proof/diminished worth.

That equation ran through my mind, when I was considering buying a cheap guitar and putting nicer parts. I figured yeah thats cool, but wouldn't it be cooler to invest in a body, neck and head worth keeping and upgrading for the next 20 years, oppose to upgrading a MIM tele or epiphone. Future proof, up the ying yang, diminished worth yeah maybe, but I think it will retain its value like a mac computer.

I did see the Vox VT40 for $220 on instant rebate, but the VT80 was at $275 with the coupon. I plan on selling my BX80, and getting an amp tomorrow. I didn't try the Peavy yet, I think I have heard it on youtube! I have just had almost everyone say vox first, when asking about amp modeling. When asking about general use guitar amps, its the Peavy Vyper, and the Acoustic B100 bass amp.
There are a ton of Vox fanboys out there, so I'm not surprised that you have gotten more suggestions for the Vox. But the Vypyr is easily just as good, except it does metal far better. Obviously you should try them and see for yourself, but just know that if you want to play metal, the amp models and 12" speaker in the Vypyr are the way to go.

Also, I'm pretty certain the warranty you purchased was a complete waste of money. You really need to stop following the advice of the sales associates.
i would HIGHLY recommend a modeling amp with a 12" speaker. i wouldn't go any less.

i really like the Vypyr Tube if you can swing it ($300 used) it sounds better than both and has a tube power section.

i never have played the other vypyrs, but a guy i play with a lot has an origional 60's tele that he bought new in the 60's that has been used and abused but sounds amazing, all he brings when we play is a VOX VT (20 or 40 i am not positive) and it sounds good with a mic for what it is. it honestly sounds just as good as the fender HRD he brings for me to play on (however the HRD is one of the worst tube amps fender makes). but we play blues mainly. but that vox does sound pretty good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
They had the 12" Peavy Vyper, and that thing was all metal, but I already have all those sounds in my banks. If I didn't she would have been perfect, especially since they had a used one for $150.

The Vox was more money but its 80watts instead of 30w, how is that for future-proofing, I could use this on stage. It had a lot of classic tones, even some of the british stuff. When I say metal I also mean hard-rock, so I do Cream, The Who, Chuck Berry, Megadeth, Rush, etc. If I was just doing the big four, I would have done the peavy.

I got it for $225 but that is cause I traded in my BX80 and got $75, if I didn't haggle they would have gave $60 or $50. Plus I got to use my coupon for $75, you add in $25 in tax, and bam $225. If I go back and get rid of my Guitars warranty thats $125.

It just seemed like to good of deal to pass up. Every set of people, from friends, to gc workers, to forums, the vox was in the list, even my google searchs.
It wasn't so much that I got cause people said so, its just made my narrowing much easier. I probably would have got a line6 spider. But after knowing about the Vox and playing it, I played it no more than 10% up, and it was loud enough for everyone to hear, so I got plenty of head room.
It just had a lot of stuff that reminded me of 60s rock. I looked up the artist list, and there were some melodic metal bands.

I might down the road get the peavy for a little practice amp. My first two amps were peavy, I just thought the vox was most functional.

Except that the aux and headphones is only 1/8th, that was annoying, at least my headphones are 1/8, they have the 1/4 attachment.

Some of the things it didn't have, were the usb, no footboard to switch around(I can get a vox pedel for $60).
I think the Fender G-Dec would make a good modeling amp, but I didn't like its sound.
Last edited by RyanStorm13 at Oct 9, 2012,
Quote by RyanStorm13
They had the 12" Peavy Vyper, and that thing was all metal, but I already have all those sounds in my banks. If I didn't she would have been perfect, especially since they had a used one for $150.

The Vox was more money but its 80watts instead of 30w, how is that for future-proofing, I could use this on stage. It had a lot of classic tones, even some of the british stuff. When I say metal I also mean hard-rock, so I do Cream, The Who, Chuck Berry, Megadeth, Rush, etc. If I was just doing the big four, I would have done the peavy.

I got it for $225 but that is cause I traded in my BX80 and got $75, if I didn't haggle they would have gave $60 or $50. Plus I got to use my coupon for $75, you add in $25 in tax, and bam $225. If I go back and get rid of my Guitars warranty thats $125.

It just seemed like to good of deal to pass up. Every set of people, from friends, to gc workers, to forums, the vox was in the list, even my google searchs.

I definitely think the VOX is awesome, I was just saying that the Vypyr is the better amp for metal. If you don't need it for metal, then more power to you. And getting 80 watts over 30 was probably a good idea.

I definitely recommend getting your money back for that warranty. Gibson offers a warranty already, and even then a guitar warranty is pretty useless since they never cover the things that actually go wrong, like the electronics. I'd only get an extended warranty for something electrical, and even then only if it's really expensive.
Yeah I figure $99 can buy me that 5 channel footswitch, and the vox wah pedel. Which I want.

I just didn't see anything else that was in my price range that was 80 watts. The other ones I saw like the peavy were just less.

Does this vox have a tube in it? Cause I never really understood what hybrid meant.
It has 12AX7 preamp tubes(not sure how many). Hybrid, in this case, means a mix of tubes and solid state.

Looks like a good amp. I didn't realize it had a 12" speaker. I think you made a good decision.
He said they didn't have any in the box, and I asked if there was a tube, cause I told him I wouldn't buy a tube amp thats been sitting on the floor for a month or year.

They look like they are only 20$, so its not a big deal if I need to replace it.

For what I am doing I think its great. I mean I just love Pod Farm and Amplitube, that I don't see why I would bother spending a couple hundred on a Digitech pedel board or rack mount. Actually I want to go back and get the vox pedel that goes with it, I never used a wah wah, but I might get the one that goes with this amp.

I can now really get some real work done. Recording on a strat-o-copy isn't even sufficent for a beginner.

Before I was looking at buying the DigiDesign Eleven Rack cause I saw one for $650 on sale. I though if I got a cheaper guitar I could get it, but I think I can wait on that, but it is definitely going to be my next buy, cause I would like to finally have Pro Tools.
I just realized this, I am setting up the amp in my room and I don't know how its gonna work.

I have a 1/4 to SPDIF cable, which I can use on the SPDIF output, the only other output is the two analog outs which is stero to my left and right studio monitor.

The only thing I read online was that people would plug the UX2's headphone out into the guitar amp, but that doesn't right.
I have no idea what you are asking. What are you trying to accomplish?

If recording your amp is your goal, you might want to make a thread in the recording forum AFTER YOU'VE READ THE STICKIES THERE so that you might get the best advice. I personally don't record much, but when I do I mic my amp with a Shure SM57, run that into an interface, and record with Reaper(it's free and pretty awesome).
I think I have made a mistake. I cannot play guitar through computer software and have it go out into my guitar amp, and when I do get it to work there is hella interference and feedback. Maybe if I bought a mixer or something it would work better.

The auxiliary was the only to work, so pretty much in ASIO, instead of feeding back the sound to the audio interface, it goes out the 1/8 of my laptops stock sound card off the mother board, out into the aux jack of the VOX amp. Which works nice if I play music on it, but with guitar didn't work to well.

I tried every other combination but it just didn't work.
Last edited by RyanStorm13 at Oct 10, 2012,