mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
No that's not correct.

The major blues scale is simply the blues scale with a added major 3rd.

So your C major blues scale is: C Eb E F Gb G Bb.

It's a grey area between dominant and minor tonalities for sure.
links136
367 IQ
i'd also like to say I found good success with simply changing from minor pentatonic to major, usually adding a few major notes to the minor ones every now and then, good dynamic.
Power Metal Kid
448 IQ
But isn't the foruma for the Major Blues scale 1 2 b3 3 5 6 8 from the Major scale? Meaning the notes would be (if you're in C Major) C, D, Eb, E, G, A and then C again? How can there be an Eb, Gb and Bb if you're in C?
Power Metal Kid
448 IQ
Oh, wait. Would that screenshot I attached in my first post be correct if you're in the KEYof C Major NOT the C MAJOR BLUES scale?
chronowarp
43 IQ
Quote by Power Metal Kid
But isn't the foruma for the Major Blues scale 1 2 b3 3 5 6 8 from the Major scale? Meaning the notes would be (if you're in C Major) C, D, Eb, E, G, A and then C again? How can there be an Eb, Gb and Bb if you're in C?

Because it's blues.
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Quote by Power Metal Kid

Easy, you can play any note in any key, scales be damned.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by Power Metal Kid
Oh, wait. Would that screenshot I attached in my first post be correct if you're in the KEYof C Major NOT the C MAJOR BLUES scale?

Well that depends if a Blues in C is...

... in the key of C.

Lol
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
To be quite blunt, I think this "major blues scale" crap is pretty stupid. Use major notes when you want and use minor notes when you want.

Edit: That said, for blues you should be pretty comfortable with the major and minor pentatonics, but beyond that it's up to your own ear to come up with note choice. Blues is really more about phrasing, dynamics, and intonation than it is about scales.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Oct 2, 2012,
chronowarp
43 IQ
Ya...It'd be more amusing to give people an auxilary blues scale, which is a collection of all the idiomatic melodic tendancies...it'd essentially be the chromatic scale loLOLolL