Hey Im studying music produktion in college and I'm finally getting a macbook and Im wondering If I should get the 15" 4gb ram 500gb hard drive version or the 13" 8gb ram 750 version? The 13" is a bit cheaper but I'm wondering if Im missing out by getting a smaller screen.
Way more details are needed about what you want to do with it, waht you'll be running on it, how future proof you want it, etc.

Also expect this to turn into a very angry fight between Microsoft and Apple fanboys about which OS is better.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 46-49
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I have a have 13 inch one and don't have any problem with it. The screen is big enough for me

I would get the second one just because if you're running a bunch of programs and stuff on it you are gonna want more Ram and more storage.

Though you could probably upgrade the fifteen inch one to have 8 GBs of Ram

Edit: How much of a price difference is it?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 2, 2012,
If it's to be your main computer, then you should get the 15". Screen real estate is very important for any kind of production work. Even with the 15", I'd recommend an external secondary monitor.

Memory and hard drive space isn't important; memory is cheap to upgrade and the bulk of hard drive data should be on external source.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I will be recording mostly as well as using it as my "main computer", but I like to casualy play games so..
Apple products are shite, lest you want to be a FrAppleChino hipster zombie.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Apple products are shite, lest you want to be a FrAppleChino hipster zombie.

A lot of university programs require incoming freshman to have them.

My brother is taking Film and Video classes. And everyone in almost all of his classes have Macbooks.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
DONT GET THE RETINA, IT CRAPS OVER LOGIC PRO AND DOESN'T WORK, sorry, had to say it.

Also, seems okay, but wont have quite the power of a desktop. 13'' 8gb is a safer option, need it for all those overloads you will undoubtedly have. You're only missing out on the smaller screen if you're short sighted or have a really bad attention span.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Mixing, editing etc gets really tedious on a 13" screen after a while (by which I mean almost instantly)
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by WCPhils

Butter my ass and call me susan... this is the final straw!

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by WCPhils

That's ****ed up, I bet Apple has done a deal to make that the case.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
if you must get a macbook and the tiny screen won't bother you, then get the 13 inch. however i code on a 17 inch asus g73, and its still too small and hurts my eyes and i would easily downgrade and get a huge monitor or two smaller ones to hook up to a laptop.

i don't know how much ram music production requires, but you can basically never have enough RAM and i imagine harddrive space with the 500gig could be a problem since audio files and shit probably take up a lot of space.

so you should weigh the size vs the power to help you make your choice. however, i would say the 13 inch
Quote by rabidguitarist

I assume it's just easier if everyone is working with the same system.

Plus, the schools entire video lab is iMacs and stuff.

Actually it's like that in almost every department now that I think of it....
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
Why? It's just easier if everyone is working with the same system.

Don't bother with them. They just can't rest until everyone knows how enlightened they are for seeing the tyranny of Apple.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Don't bother with them. They just can't rest until everyone knows how enlightened they are for seeing the tyranny of Apple.

How could I have forgotten
___

Quote by The_Blode
In my opinion there is no laptop screen big enough for real productivity beyond the simplest needs, so it doesn't really matter whether you go 13" or 15" because neither will be large enough. I'd go with the 13" if it's a better computer.
Do you a bigger monitor or TV you can hook it to.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Get the 13 inch. You'll want an external monitor anyway. 15 inches still isn't enough screen real estate, so might as well get the one with more RAM.
Im probably doing the same course as you.

I have a 13" Pro and it works fine. When I run logic I use a second monitor for my faders and EQ. Runs fine. You rarely need more than 4gb of ram unless your doing some absolutely ridiculous music processing.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by WCPhils
I assume it's just easier if everyone is working with the same system.

Plus, the schools entire video lab is iMacs and stuff.

Actually it's like that in almost every department now that I think of it....

What I mean is that how can a university make that a requirement?

My university has just changed to all Macs in the Music Technology department, and I have had absolutely no problems coping with working between different platforms. The new curriculum uses Pro-tools, MAX MSP and Cecilia, all of which are available on PC and work without any problems.

The only problem there is is that many of the great pieces of software that we used to use on the old PCs aren't available for Mac, and the result of this really shows in the compositions of the new first and second years.

I think that Macs are great systems, I'm not trying to imply in any way that they aren't (although Apple is evil), I'm saying that teaching shouldn't be limited to them, because you seriously diminish the options that are available to you.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist

I'd approximate 95% of pro-level studios run Mac-based systems (though typically Mac Pro's as they can be configured with far more power, and are far more epandable - particularly for higher-end, high-channel count interfaces/desks), so it makes sense that they would want to instruct pupils who are potentially looking to work in these studios, on a similar platform so they know their way around it and don't just walk in to a studio and think 'Woah, the buttons are different, Ctrl doesn't work properly, what is this apple key for?' etc.

I know what you're implying though, and it is indeed often done by Apple sponsoring music/media-based courses with discounted hardware and Apple's media software (i.e Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro etc.). Just like most other sectors, even the education sector is big business to the technology world.

Edit: Took a while to get around to replying - I guess you're right about it being harsh they make it a requirement. I know that some of the UK university courses 'give' them to students who enroll though (SAE Institute is one of the media schools that do so).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I'd approximate 95% of pro-level studios run Mac-based systems (though typically Mac Pro's as they can be configured with far more power, and are far more epandable - particularly for higher-end, high-channel count interfaces/desks), so it makes sense that they would want to instruct pupils who are potentially looking to work in these studios, on a similar platform so they know their way around it and don't just walk in to a studio and think 'Woah, the buttons are different, Ctrl doesn't work properly, what is this apple key for?' etc.

I know what you're implying though, and it is indeed often done by Apple sponsoring music/media-based courses with discounted hardware and Apple's media software (i.e Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro etc.). Just like most other sectors, even the education sector is big business to the technology world.

Edit: Took a while to get around to replying - I guess you're right about it being harsh they make it a requirement. I know that some of the UK university courses 'give' them to students who enroll though (SAE Institute is one of the media schools that do so).

I realise that Macs are the professional standard, I just think that there are so many more options open to someone, especially a composition student like myself, if the course focuses on more than just that one platform. I would say the same if the course used only PCs.

It's really not difficult to work a Mac if you already know how to use a PC, and vice versa, so as long as the right software is taught, I don't think it should matter too much what you learn on.

The reason I'm particularly upset is because my university, under the influence of new music tech lecturers, hasn't just brought in all new Macs, it has actually thrown out all of the old PCs, Sound cards and effects modules that the head of department took years to put together. The reason is basically that they don't think the new students should learn on PCs, but what harm could arise from just having just a few in the corner for any student who's curious?

The new Macs are so expensive, about £2000 apiece, that we're barely allowed to touch them without gloves.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by BamRazzled
I will be recording mostly as well as using it as my "main computer", but I like to casualy play games so..

If you want to play games, do either have a real video card? You won't be doing any gaming at all if you're forced to use the crappy Intel HD video chip.

I'd also go with the 13 inch. You're going to need another monitor anyway, and probably an external hard drive eventually, so might as well go with more RAM, since the new Macbooks' RAM can't be upgraded at all.

Also, Universities forcing students to buy a $1200+ computer on top of University costs is just absurd.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Last edited by muffinduck01 at Oct 2, 2012,
Quote by muffinduck01

I'd also go with the 13 inch. You're going to need another monitor anyway, and probably an external hard drive eventually, so might as well go with more RAM, since the new Macbooks' RAM can't be upgraded at all.

Really? That's retarded. I just recently upgraded my two year old one from 4 to 8 Gigs.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
Really? That's retarded. I just recently upgraded my two year old one from 4 to 8 Gigs.

That's just the Retina Macbook. The other Macbooks can still easily swap out components.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by WCPhils
Ah, ok. Still pretty stupid though.

Well, it's so thin that it's pretty much impossible to bind those components using mechanical methods without adding bulk. To professionals who can claim this $2000+ laptop as a business expense, it doesn't really matter. So obviously it's not really meant for regular consumers.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, it's so thin that it's pretty much impossible to bind those components using mechanical methods without adding bulk. To professionals who can claim this $2000+ laptop as a business expense, it doesn't really matter. So obviously it's not really meant for regular consumers.

Yea, that makes more sense. I wasn't even thinking about how small it is.
___

Quote by The_Blode
If you plan on using Pro Tools then 8gb is a waste. It only recognizes up to 4gb of RAM because it's 32bit. Pretty much everything else is 64bit now so 8gb would only benefit your recording/mixing if you AREN'T going to use PT
I actually just went through this, though my debate was over processing power and not screen size. Though the 15 inch has the "better" processor I ended up with the 13, an SSD and an external thunderbolt drive for the same cost as the 15. The 2.9 dual core performed on par with the 2.5 quad core on every application I used. The 13 also weighed a good bit less, which matters in a backpack. Mixing on the screen is indeeed tedious however.

Ram and disks can always be upgraded but processing cannot. Remember that.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
13" is fine in my opinion, I just upgraded mine to 8GB of ram and 1TB hard drive. cheaper to do that yourself rather than buying from apple
---