So heres my dilemma, I am 20 yrs old, have never even been in a band, and I've never played a show. Im starting to have doubts that it is too late for me to chase a dream to play music. I have a lot of people telling me its not realistic and its just a fantasy that will fade away eventually. So needless to say my confidence level is pretty low but I still truly believe that music is my true calling. So my question is, having never even played a show of any kind and not even having any leads to a potential band, am I too late? I see all these people who are 14, 15, and 16 and have already played more shows and have more success than I could even fathom. Whats the deal? Should I give up or just keep chasing?
It's not like bands will ask to see a resume or something before you join them, it's never too late. For a while I played in a band with a bunch of 40-50 year olds and they were gigging regularly and had an album released
Shucks grandpa, you might as well give up now and retire to golden acres rest home. I didn't even know people as old as you could use computers.
That's not too late. If it was I'd tell you because I enjoy knocking people's dreams on the internet but that's not too late at all. Why haven't you joined a band though if it's your dream?
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by devourke
Shucks grandpa, you might as well give up now and retire to golden acres rest home. I didn't even know people as old as you could use computers.

I'm 21 and I have to type all my posts out on a typewriter. Then my grandson types them up on the computer.
Quote by EVHtremontiSRV
So heres my dilemma, I am 20 yrs old, have never even been in a band, and I've never played a show. Im starting to have doubts that it is too late for me to chase a dream to play music. I have a lot of people telling me its not realistic and its just a fantasy that will fade away eventually. So needless to say my confidence level is pretty low but I still truly believe that music is my true calling. So my question is, having never even played a show of any kind and not even having any leads to a potential band, am I too late? I see all these people who are 14, 15, and 16 and have already played more shows and have more success than I could even fathom. Whats the deal? Should I give up or just keep chasing?

you're stressing too much. if you don't stop worrying about it you won't enjoy it even if it works out. But to answer your question no one cares or even needs to know how old you are. Those young kids are gimmicks, mostly. "Oh look, a child with an instrument!"
Go play music at some open mics. Its never too late. Yeah sure it might be unrealistic if you might dream of being a big "rockstar" or something, but playing music is realistic and really all you need for it is something good to play and some people who are willing to listen to it. Pretty realistic if you ask me. It could be a family gathering or small get together with friends.

If you can't find a band, go solo like so many other people out there. Make your music and share it on the Internet. There will eventually be many people who would be interested in listening to you if you put your heart into it.
Don't give up. Definitely, keep trying to make music. The world will thank you eventually.

But honestly, remember that if you actually are doing this, put your full effort into it. Make sure to practice guit as much as possible, right songs, play to a metronome, and search for bands to play in actively. It doesn't need to feel like a job, but it is one.
if you chase it like you mean it, it's never too late.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This is one reason I love this site. musicians look out for their own kind. (most of them lol). But anyways another aspect is im having problems putting together a band. I almost had something together over the summer but it fizzled out becuz the other guys werent as serious about it as I was and im not really friends with many other people that are into the same music I am, let alone PLAYING in a band with the same type of music. any tips to finding people that want to make music? I go to NKU so ive thought about taking some music classes and hoping to meet some people that way
Quote by EVHtremontiSRV
thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This is one reason I love this site. musicians look out for their own kind. (most of them lol). But anyways another aspect is im having problems putting together a band. I almost had something together over the summer but it fizzled out becuz the other guys werent as serious about it as I was and im not really friends with many other people that are into the same music I am, let alone PLAYING in a band with the same type of music. any tips to finding people that want to make music? I go to NKU so ive thought about taking some music classes and hoping to meet some people that way

Honestly, if I knew, I'd be in a much more focused band right now. For some reason, there's no one to play with 6,000 students living on campus
It's not that you're too late. It's that you don't have the potential. You said so yourself.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by devourke

Quote by entity0009
I'm 21 and I have to type all my posts out on a typewriter. Then my grandson types them up on the computer.

Shit, I'm 21 now too. It's probably too late to have a kid
Quote by whoomit

Well, being scottish, once you're past the 13-14 year old point, it's too late.

I'm so sorry.
Quote by whoomit

No..... you can always destroy your life in your 30's.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by PaulyVengeance
Well, being scottish, once you're past the 13-14 year old point, it's too late.

I'm so sorry.

Oi! We may have a high rate of teenage pregnancy, but don't you dare suggest that we don't know how to perform abortions effectively
get a Plan B
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by whoomit
Oi! We may have a high rate of teenage pregnancy, but don't you dare suggest that we don't know how to perform abortions effectively

You know I'm only messing with you.

Look, I drew you a picture to show how sorry I am.

Quote by PaulyVengeance

You know I'm only messing with you.

Look, I drew you a picture to show how sorry I am.

omg sorry pauly ;_;
Well I am 30 and now looking to start my first band!!! I don't expect to ever be a big rockstar (although if I ever write anything awesome and the right person hears it, who knows! but I just want to do what I enjoy and that's write and play music, with other people in pubs and bars and hope somebody enjoys it.

I WISH I had done this ten years ago and it's my biggest regret. I spent 4 of the last 5 years with a chick who hated rock and guitar music and barely played during that time. She stifled my personality massively. Now I'm free of her and with someone who shares many of my tastes and interests and is really supportive. It's great and has given me the boost I needed to get on with it.
Quote by JayCartay
Well I am 30 and now looking to start my first band!!! I don't expect to ever be a big rockstar (although if I ever write anything awesome and the right person hears it, who knows! but I just want to do what I enjoy and that's write and play music, with other people in pubs and bars and hope somebody enjoys it.

I WISH I had done this ten years ago and it's my biggest regret. I spent 4 of the last 5 years with a chick who hated rock and guitar music and barely played during that time. She stifled my personality massively. Now I'm free of her and with someone who shares many of my tastes and interests and is really supportive. It's great and has given me the boost I needed to get on with it.

Thanks for being the first to not troll on my post in a while lol. yea man I hear ya. Thats my biggest fear is regret for not going after something ya know? Good luck tho buddy and keep rockin!
Just get your face out there and find other people to play with. It's never too late to start/join a band. Just keep at it.
Sure, go for it. But join a band with the expectation being that it is purely a hobby. In other words still look for a job that actually pays something. Then you are not in a position where you are trying to make a living from music because this is getting harder and harder to do all the time.

Get a job, then join a band just for the pure fun of it.

ron666
You're only 20, if you want it then go for it. Either way stop acting like you're an old man with one foot in the grave.
Quote by Thrill-house
You're only 20, if you want it then go for it. Either way stop acting like you're an old man with one foot in the grave.

This

Quote by Xiaoxi
It's not that you're too late. It's that you don't have the potential. You said so yourself.

and this.

Its the Law of attraction, and you are using it wrong.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Did the pit just motivate someone to follow a stupid dream?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78

Hey, N8...who said dreams were stupid? Did you?!

Huh?! 'Cause that ain't cool, man.

OT:
TS, if you want to fulfill your dream, then here's step 1. Stop acting like you won't succeed. You're here saying it's "unrealistic, blah blah blah". No, quit that attitude.

Start acting like you're going to do it no matter what. And by acting, I mean two things. 1) Know that you know that you're going to become a successful musician. In other words, have faith in yourself, even if no one else does. 2) Start doing the work. Practice song after song after song. Work on your songwriting and guitar playing. The saying is, "Be the best!" Do the work to be the best, man.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 8, 2012,
If you ever think it's too late, look at Ray Lamontagne.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by Saint78

"If you punish a person for dreaming his dream, don't expect him to thank or forgive you"

=^● ⋏ ●^=
myanimelist! | steam!
---------
i'm a waste of my freedom / cause i have imprisoned myself
with this crippling lack of wealth / and my decaying sense of self
Alas, dear EVHtremontiSRV...

Art thee too elderly to partake in flagons of frothy ale with thine brothers, and bellow ye most favored odes in raucous harmony?

Art thee too elderly to enjoy buxom vernal maidens who lustily treat thine loinsword as if 'twas a Lollipop?

Art thee too elderly to coax thine six-string-banshee to vociferous song, cascad'ing ye adoring crowde with voluminous scalding shards of Rock?

Nay, dear EVHtremontiSRV, thee art not too elderly, for Ye Lust to Make Rock Know'eth No Age!!!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
20 years old? Sadly, you've been too old to play in a band for 7 years.

You missed your chance. You should feel bad.
Quote by Saint78

Well it's not stupid for him. If he wants to become a musician, then let him. Don't discourage him, there are more than enough folks out there who are more than happy to do exactly that.

He's 20, so if it does not work out, he can still go back to college and try something else.

ron666