ToTheMinute
Who wants popcorn?
65 IQ
Aiight guys, is the musician's union worth it? I'm a self-employed guitarist in northern CA and I'm sick of not being able to afford instrument insurance, health care, ect. I got in touch with my local union office and asked about what the deal is. If I join, I'm allowed to play with non-union musicians and play non-union gigs. I'm thinking about joining for the benefits I mentioned before. I wanted to talk with other people first and see what their experiences were. Any experienced opinions?
skylerjames13
Dude
2,068 IQ
Union Jack is only union.

EDIT: How embarrassing. I put Jack instead of Jake.

Well fuck my butt.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Last edited by skylerjames13 at Oct 4, 2012,
d d b b z z
69 IQ
˝I'm allowed to play with non-union musicians and play non-union gigs.˝

and you can˙t do that now?
Demon Wolf
GT's Iron Fisted Leader
1,902 IQ
I thought this would be about the awesome album by Elton John and Leon Russell from 2010
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
d d b b z z
69 IQ
Quote by captaincrunk
he's saying that he wouldn't be prohibited, silly

America is a strange place
Last edited by d d b b z z at Oct 3, 2012,
Jyrgen
Used Register
2,049 IQ
"Worth it?" Worth.. what? How much does that cost?
ToTheMinute
Who wants popcorn?
65 IQ
Quote by d d b b z z
˝I'm allowed to play with non-union musicians and play non-union gigs.˝

and you can˙t do that now?

It used to be that you could only play union gigs with other union musicians. How they even got members with those rules are beyond me.
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
is this for real?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
what are the benefits?
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff
metalblaster
UG Newbie
494 IQ
They have unions for musicians? wtf lol

Sorry, as much as it sounds sick and useful to you, that's actually kinda lame.
purplexing
Rock n' Roll idealist
610 IQ
Quote by metalblaster

why? I'm no expert on this, but it sounds like a good deal.
Quote by MDoggDX316
To quote Granddad, "I think ALL marriage should be illegal."

[quote="'-[NiL"]-'] I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
metalblaster
UG Newbie
494 IQ
Quote by purplexing
why? I'm no expert on this, but it sounds like a good deal.

Yeah sure does sound like a good deal. I just didn't even know that such a thing existed. Like, a union, but for musicians.... wtf
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist
267 IQ
Quote by metalblaster

Yeah, AFM. And actually it's not lame at all, musicians are in a high risk field when it comes to getting ripped off, not to mention the job security issues, so having a union to back you up when dealing with promoters and whatnot can be very helpful, plus they offer low cost insurance and stuff.

and for the TS, it really depends, what's your working situation like? if you are gigging or sitting in session and whatnot on a regular basis, then yeah it's great, and yeah it might be worth it to get the health benefits and whatnot, the only real downside is there are a few weird rules (though the mostly affect orchestras) and you might have to avoid working with certain venues/promoters/labels, though usually that's because they've ripped people off.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist
267 IQ
Quote by metaldud536
Surely they don't just let anyone join?

Why wouldn't they, any amateur musician who joined would still have to pay all the union dues and whatnot and likely wouldn't use a lot of the benefits and services, so it's just more money for them. According to their bylaws anyone who sings, plays an instrument or works as crew for musicians is eligible.

Last.fm
ToTheMinute
Who wants popcorn?
65 IQ
lol you know, I probably shouldn't have asked this on a forum where 90% of the members are still in high school.
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by ToTheMinute
lol you know, I probably shouldn't have asked this on a forum where 90% of the members are still in high school.

But you did.

Now face the consequences.
ToTheMinute
Who wants popcorn?
65 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict
But you did.

Now face the consequences.

Most of these comments are pretty enjoyable. "What? There's a union? For musicians."
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist
267 IQ
well you can't blame people for being surprised given than most musicians aren't really seen as being employed in the normal sense. I was surprised when I found out there was a general muscians union too, like you'd expect one for session players or people in orchestras and whatnot, but not so much rock bands and the like.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Oct 4, 2012,
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by metalblaster
Yeah sure does sound like a good deal. I just didn't even know that such a thing existed. Like, a union, but for musicians.... wtf

Being a musician is a 'trade', so why shouldn't musicians have a trade union to protect their interests like other tradesmen do?
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
You might have gotten some more serious replies in the Bandleading forum, but at least you educated a few pitters a little.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do