Trayn0r
21 IQ
So I recently acquired a late 60's Traynor YBA-1.

Originally it retailed as a bass head with two 2x15 cabs and ran 8 ohms total.

I play heavy fuzzy rock. I'm thinking of getting a 2x12 and putting Wizards or Man O Wars in it.

Would a 1x15 with a good speaker be too limited?

I'm looking for advice on what kind of cab/speaker setup I should be aiming for. I really have no experience
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
depends on if you like 15" speakers, I guess. they might work ok for heavy fuzzy rock.

though as you suggested, you'd probably have a lot more options etc. with 12" speakers.

EDIT: what type of tones are you after? I have no experience with that traynor, but i've tried a fair few speakers recently and i could give you some very basic, rule of thumb advice.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Trayn0r
21 IQ
Mostly Sabbath worship and classic rock. Also, the amp has EL34's and I play a Les Paul. I haven't played through 15's before, but I'm thinking of trying a 2x15 like it came with originally. I use a muff variant also

also: yeah, I'm a newb with cabs, any advice appreciated
Last edited by Trayn0r at Oct 3, 2012,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
is that sabbath worship, or black sabbath and worship? (that's not sarcasm, i'm honestly not sure )

regarding the cab, the main thing is to make sure it's made of plywood (or solid wood, but most good cabs are plywood) and is pretty well-made etc. Generally speaking, the bigger the cab is the more bass you'll have- too small and it can sound "boxy". Though the smaller it is, the lighter it'll be to lift, so it's a balancing act.

assuming you're after british-style tones, for classic rock something like a greenback or a g12h30 would probably be the thing. Most speaker companies do a version (or versions) of those, and obviously I haven't tried every single one, lol. If you want a deeper tone, you could also consider the 55Hz version of the g12h30- it's a 12" speaker, but with the bass cone. So that might be worth considering, and might be less risky than going for a 15" speaker cabinet and then realising you don't like 15s. (Some companies also offer 55Hz versions of the greenback, I haven't tried them, though- also might be worth considering.)
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Trayn0r
21 IQ
Yeah, I meant Black Sabbath, though I'm not necessarily stuck on the British voicing.

I did some more googling and the concensus seems to be: Celestion GB's, H30's, V30's, with most people saying Vintage 30's. Your advice seems good! Thanks
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i'd have said v30s were too modern-sounding for that. Not trying to be condescending (i was guilty of this too until pretty recently), but most people say v30s because they're the only decent speakers they've tried, lol. To my ears they're more for modern metal tones- like killswitch engage or something like that. If the heaviest stuff you play is sabbath, i'd have said g12h30s would easily handle that level of distortion (plus sabbath isn't all that tight-sounding). You might even get away with/prefer greenbacks. For example, i mainly play 80s hard rock and metal (so, tighter and more modern-sounding than sabbath), and i find v30s too modern-sounding for most of the things I play. Of course, personal preference plays a pretty big part, too- there are plenty of players who play more vintage-style stuff than I do, and they love v30s, so

EDIT: if you do want to try the 55Hz version of the g12h30, i'm guessing warehouse/wgs is the cheapest way to do that. I haven't tried them, though- I've got heritage celestion 55Hz g12h30s, but they're very expensive (i got lucky and got a good deal on a laney lionheart cab which already had them loaded).
Quote by classicrocker01

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 3, 2012,
Trayn0r
21 IQ
^ cool, I didn't read your post before my next one. I definitely like "vintage" sounds. Mostly 70s stuff, so you are probably right.

I have a really tall Acoustic 105 model 4x12 cabinet that I haven't been using because I thought all the speakers were all blown into shreds from the previous owner.

I just opened it up, and it turns out three are, but one is a mint Eminence Private Jack (they are similar to Greenbacks but higher voltage).

A few totally random questions:

If I have four 8 ohm speakers and I wire them in parallel will the cabinet be 8 ohms total load?

How do I test the speaker I have to see if it is the 8 ohm or 16 ohm version of the P.J.?

Does anyone know what kind of speakers (preferably Eminence, there is a dealer in my town) mix well with a private jack, if I get one more and then two types of another?

I think two Tonespotters and two Private Jacks might be sweet. Anyone have experience with those?
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Ok, if you have 4 8 ohm speakers you have to wire it in either series/parallel or parallel/series to get 8 ohms.

As far as the speaker in there now, use a multimeter set to measure resistance to figure out the impedance of the speaker. If its 8 ohms the meter should read anywhere from like 6.8 to 8 ohms, usually it'll be 7.something. If its a 16 ohm speaker it'll read somewhere from ~14ohms to 16 ohms.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
woad_yurt
959 IQ
To get an 8 ohm total load with four 8 ohm speakers:
You need two pairs wired separately in series and then wire those pairs together in parallel.
Trayn0r
21 IQ
Any chance you could link me a diagram of a series/parallel?

I'd google image search one, but I don't know if I have the right thing.

Also... the back of my cab doesn't come off, this is gunna be rough.
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Does the baffle come out? Pretty strange set up if you ask me.

I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Oct 3, 2012,
Trayn0r
21 IQ
There must be a way to take the baffle out, but I don't see any screw heads for it anywhere. It appears completely solid. Also the tolex covers everything on the outside except the grill.

I'll probably be able to figure it out through the speaker holes if I take my time. If not I'll upload pictures and ask for more advice. Thanks for the diagram.

Also: this thing is absolutely massive. It is a good foot or more taller than a Marshall cab. I think that would make it good for heavy music.
Trayn0r
21 IQ
One more question... I'm thinking of making life simple and getting three more Private Jacks to fill my 4x12. My Traynor is a 45 watter, and they handle 50 RMS with a 100 watt peak. Will I run into any problems if I gig with my volume close to dimed or should the speakers handle whatever I can throw at them?

Thanks!!!!!
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
your best bet is to email eminence regarding what'll work well together, they're normally pretty helpful. i've tried a bunch of eminences, but only from the patriot or legend series, i haven't tried the private jack. You're right, supposedly they're their version of a greenback. I wouldn't worry too much about the higher wattage- from what i hear, eminence are pretty optimistic with their ratings. I'd assume they're similar to greenbacks (in terms of the wattage rating)- with four of them you should be ok with your amp. Even if you assume they're only 25 watts apiece (which is probably being overly conservative/cautious) that means you're good for 100 watts in a 4x12.
Quote by classicrocker01