Page 1 of 3
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie
3,290 IQ
Article: (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/03/us-syria-crisis-idUSBRE88J0X720121003)
By Seyhmus Cakan and Kadir Celikcan
AKCAKALE, Turkey | Wed Oct 3, 2012 7:50pm EDT
(Reuters) - Turkish artillery hit targets inside Syria on Wednesday after a mortar bomb fired from Syrian territory killed five Turkish civilians, while NATO called for an immediate end to Syria's "aggressive acts".

In the most serious cross-border escalation of the 18-month uprising in Syria, Turkey hit back at what it called "the last straw" when a mortar hit a residential neighborhood of the southern border town of Akcakale.

NATO said it stood by member-nation Turkey and urged Syria to put an end to "flagrant violations of international law".

The U.S.-led Western military alliance held an urgent late-night meeting in Brussels to discuss the matter and later on Tuesday in New York, Turkey asked the U.N. Security Council to take the "necessary action" to stop Syrian aggression.

In a letter to the president of the 15-nation Security Council, Turkish U.N. Ambassador Ertugrul Apakan called the firing of the mortar bomb "a flagrant violation of international law as well as a breach of international peace and security." [ID:nL1E8L3M0K]

There were no immediate details of the Turkish strikes against Syria, nor was it clear who had fired the mortar into Turkish territory, but security sources said Turkey was increasing the number of troops along its border

I think this is obviously the largest international event involving the 18-month long civil war in Syria. Obviously it'd be premature to suggest NATO getting involved on the basis of Article 5 being invoked, but if Syria keeps firing into Turkish territory and at Turkish targets things could get even uglier pretty fast. What do you guys make of it?
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Oct 3, 2012,
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
oh shit
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Extra Ordinary
Meh
197 IQ
Wait, so I haven't been following the news but I have heard of the unrest over in that part of the world.
So what I'm asking is, what is going on in Syria to make it such a lengthy ordeal.
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie
3,290 IQ
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Wait, so I haven't been following the news but I have heard of the unrest over in that part of the world.
So what I'm asking is, what is going on in Syria to make it such a lengthy ordeal.
Basically they had their own little peaceful attempt at revolution, and then it turned into a civil war when the military began firing on protesters, funerals, churches, etc. Now a lot of military personnel have joined the rebels, and basically the Syrian army has been executing civilians as well as firing artillery/RPGs into residential neighbourhoods regularly. Over 28,000 people have died by some counts, with less than 3,000 of those being actual Army members/rebel militants and the rest civilians.
Momentosis
UG's Ace
2,310 IQ
Quote by Pat_s1t
Basically they had their own little peaceful attempt at revolution, and then it turned into a civil war when the military began firing on protesters, funerals, churches, etc. Now a lot of military personnel have joined the rebels, and basically the Syrian army has been executing civilians as well as firing artillery/RPGs into residential neighbourhoods regularly. Over 28,000 people have died by some counts, with less than 3,000 of those being actual Army members/rebel militants and the rest civilians.

Didn't even realize this was happening.
MinterMan22
only smells
763 IQ
i eat cereal for dinner and turkey for breakfast, is that weird?
..::fat
lard::..
Mind_Reader7
Tab Contributor
1,537 IQ
Syriasly, it would save so many problems.
Attachments:
0-9u]].jpg
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
Quote by Mind_Reader7

and totally not cause a million others.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by Mind_Reader7

Yeah, like how arabs hate Israel and want to kill us, that'll really help them to like us more -_- .....

Go fuck yourself.
Quote by Gantz92
Quote by Nelsean
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
WaterGod
BernieBro
541 IQ
We should totally help the rebels overthrow Assad. Not because it's the right thing to do, but just think how Russia and China will react when we steal one of their last middle eastern allies from them.
k90728
Hubba-Hubba
424 IQ
they just gotta bomb america kill em all and let the other countries go in peace.

america=problems for every other country, intentional or unintentional
So-Cal
Banned
264 IQ
Assad needs to get ****ed with a knife tbh, props to turkey for not going super saiyan.
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,554 IQ
F'real Turkey is becoming the next "don't **** with me" country. I'd say Brazil too, but things aren't as cray as they used to be in South America.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
gabcd86
isn't French.
2,030 IQ
Will be interesting to see, in the event of proper Turkish retaliation, if NATO are willing to fulfil their commitments. They've been very reluctant to intervene so far, I wonder if Turkey matters enough to them.
Dan_5893
Interdit
1,405 IQ
The US (and by extension NATO) won't get involved because Syria and Iran have mutual defence agreements. As soon as one of them is attacked, the other will jump in to help. The US doesn't want a war with Iran, especially given what's happening in Afghanistan.
behind_you
Very good!
1,375 IQ
Quote by Momentosis
Didn't even realize this was happening.
are you serious
ggg1 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg3

snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,554 IQ
Quote by Dan_5893
The US (and by extension NATO) won't get involved because Syria and Iran have mutual defence agreements. As soon as one of them is attacked, the other will jump in to help. The US doesn't want a war with Iran, especially given what's happening in Afghanistan.

Most likely this. Most likely the whole thing will blow over, and Syria will get their shit together with time (obviously more time that we would've hoped).

But as I've argued Turkey is having an increasingly pivotal world role being the semi-major power that connects the EU and NATO to the Middle East.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Quote by k90728
they just gotta bomb america kill em all and let the other countries go in peace.

america=problems for every other country, intentional or unintentional

Dude, America has nothing to do with this. The blame is squarely on Syria here.

If anything, the US wants to get away from all of this. If the US/NATO attacks Syria, then Iran goes to war. If Iran goes to war, Israel will too. Basically, the whole Middle East will be a war-zone, even more than usual. And we're not just talking little conflicts here, we're talking World War III-type scenario.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Ninja#117
23 IQ
Quote by stonyman65
Dude, America has nothing to do with this. The blame is squarely on Syria here.

If anything, the US wants to get away from all of this. If the US/NATO attacks Syria, then Iran goes to war. If Iran goes to war, Israel will too. Basically, the whole Middle East will be a war-zone, even more than usual. And we're not just talking little conflicts here, we're talking World War III-type scenario.

It really is close to that. Russia is involved as well. THe UN and US are getting pissed cause of Russia's possible arming and supporting of Assad. I read that Russia and China apparently have blocked efforts to help dispel the problems over the course of the situation.

Im not 100% on how much involvement they have but its getting clear that Syria has someone behind them pulling strings. Not really conspiracy theory stuff just the regular cloak and dagger of major world politics. Syria knows we dont wanna jump in and possibly clash with Russia or China either politics or military wise cause shit would hit the fan.

So they just keep on trolling knowing it will be tough to put an end to this. Even Obama can see that this conflict is more than just a simple revolution but his hands are tied. If Assad continues unchecked we will be forced to step in.
Knowledge is power
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict
You I like.

:3
Quote by Gantz92
Quote by Nelsean
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Quote by Ninja#117
It really is close to that. Russia is involved as well. THe UN and US are getting pissed cause of Russia's possible arming and supporting of Assad. I read that Russia and China apparently have blocked efforts to help dispel the problems over the course of the situation.

Im not 100% on how much involvement they have but its getting clear that Syria has someone behind them pulling strings. Not really conspiracy theory stuff just the regular cloak and dagger of major world politics. Syria knows we dont wanna jump in and possibly clash with Russia or China either politics or military wise cause shit would hit the fan.

So they just keep on trolling knowing it will be tough to put an end to this. Even Obama can see that this conflict is more than just a simple revolution but his hands are tied. If Assad continues unchecked we will be forced to step in.

Exactly.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the world is going to be back in another "cold war" type situation again, but this time not so "cold"
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
bastards
Dirigo
652 IQ
Saw this on the news last night. Glad turkey only launched a few in as a "Hey, we know how to retaliate, bitches"
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Jackal58
Pit Daddy
2,486 IQ
Shiites vs Sunnis = Syrian civil war.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,165 IQ
Damnit, I don't wanna deploy to the middle east again. Why can't people break out in war in the Carribean?

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Jackal58
Pit Daddy
2,486 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
Damnit, I don't wanna deploy to the middle east again. Why can't people break out in war in the Carribean?

Btdt
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,165 IQ
Quote by Jackal58
Btdt

Not all of us were around in 1812, pops.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

JemDkyl
157 IQ
No way is there going to be an all-out war between the two countries. Just no way. Sure, there could be skirmishes with bombs and planes or whatever, but I highly doubt infantry will be included. Turkey and Syria are brothers, I'm Turkish, I'd never kill another Muslim at war. Never. I think they have the same mentality, and hopefully this won't get any bigger. I don't think it will..
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by JemDkyl
No way is there going to be an all-out war between the two countries. Just no way. Sure, there could be skirmishes with bombs and planes or whatever, but I highly doubt infantry will be included. Turkey and Syria are brothers, I'm Turkish, I'd never kill another Muslim at war. Never. I think they have the same mentality, and hopefully this won't get any bigger. I don't think it will..

Have you not been paying attention?
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
Quote by blake1221
Have you not been paying attention?

i thought the middle east was all one big country (Afghanistan) and Iraq was like, a state or something.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
It's not like they've been attacking each other for millennia or anything. They were always so peaceful with their bombs and stuff :/
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member
808 IQ
Why dont day ju' gibb peez a chance mon'?
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by blake1221
It's not like they've been attacking each other for millennia or anything. They were always so peaceful with their bombs and stuff :/

the **** is this?
JemDkyl
157 IQ
Quote by magnus_maximus

K then.

I like how 2 guys both made fun of my comment, but without any explanation why so. Educate me please.
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by JemDkyl
I like how 2 guys both made fun of my comment, but without any explanation why so. Educate me please.

Because Muslims blow up other Muslims almost on a daily basis. They didn't provide explanations because it is so painfully clear.