Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
I'm having an issue in my current predicament with being able to play through my amp. I'm currently in between in a moving situation and I'm likely to be here for a while. I'm staying with relatives, but with the way all of the schedules of the household line up, I have almost no time of the day that I can play through my amp, which is driving me insane. I thought I had hit a stroke of luck when i realized I could use my Vengeance's Recording Line Out into my PA head, which I can run completely silent while using a line out on it into my laptop, making it so that I can play through headphones. However, my amp would still be running sound through it's speakers, which defeats the entire purpose. Is there any way I can effectively silence my speakers while still running volume on my amp? I need complete silence while still having volume run to the PA, but the Line Out on the Vengeance doesn't do silent recording. I need a quick fix here, and it has to be something that is going to cost me less than $10, preferably absolutely nothing. If there is a way that costs more, please suggest it anyway, in case I would be able to work something out, but don't be to hopeful that it will work for me.
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
no you'll need a dummy load or a load box.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by AcousticMirror
no you'll need a dummy load or a load box.

Can you elaborate? What are they, what do they do, where can I find them, what ones should I avoid, what ones are reliable, etc.?
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
Can you elaborate? What are they, what do they do, where can I find them, what ones should I avoid, what ones are reliable, etc.?

all it is just something you plug into that takes the load off of the head. it makes the amp think its has speakers when they aren't being used (when the load box is on) me and cath were talking quite a while ago that you could potentially run four 25 watt (4x25=100 watts) resistors to make what impedance you want. i would wait for him to answer further.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Honestly, if it involves soldering and any other tech work, I think I'll look elsewhere. It's something I want to work on, for sure, but this probably isn't the best place to start

I mean, if there's no real way to screw it up, I might, but I wouldn't want to risk it with something like this that could blow my OT.

I might just see about snagging a Vox Amplug used if I can. Probably the Metal one. Any experience with those?
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Dummy load with headphone out

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm

They have a few different types. You can always E-mail to find a good features vs price if you have further questions.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 4, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Build an isocab.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Build an isocab.

That would work.

Hopefully his wood working skills are better then mine. I still have the image of the last bird house I built etched in my brain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
2,594 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Build an isocab.

+1 Iso cabs are incredibly useful. Stick an SM57 or a Sennheiser E609 and monitor it through headphones through an interface. Think of it as an investment.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
There's not much to an isocab - it's just a box. There are designs for them all over the net. It's the right way to do it. Price all comes down to whether or not you can find cheap timber. You can use just about anything, MDF would be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Isocabs suck

They produce small and boxy tones... because well - You're enclosing everything in a small box...

Much rather just DI my guitar into an interface and use an amp simulator than use an isocab, or record the preamp out/effects send of the amp and run an impulse on it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Well that depends on how well it's baffled. Follow a good design and he'd be fine - certainly better than taking a feed from the line out of the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
All of the .mp3 demo clips on my profile on here are recorded through with the same process i described above, and I think they sound just fine

I really have no use for an isocab. I don't need to record (even though the title says that...it was just the simplest way to word what I need) I need to hear it through headphones on my computer so I can play along to songs. An isocab is WAY out of price, considering it would involve buying a mic, the wood, a speaker, and a USB interface. Not an option.
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
jca has one for like 299 i think.

but ya it's still an investment.

i think i'd rather invest in a load box or save up tons of money for a twonote torpedo.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
1,335 IQ
Bruce should have taken the silent switch on the Rebel-30 and carried it up to the higher priced amps with record line outs like the Vengeance, not sure why he didn't.

Just get a load box and be set, you can find them decently priced, sub $50.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by AcousticMirror
jca has one for like 299 i think.

but ya it's still an investment.

i think i'd rather invest in a load box or save up tons of money for a twonote torpedo.

randall has one for $400 but it comes with a V30. its worth that going over the price for that because jet city's speakers are terrible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by AxSilentxLine
A Palmer PDI-03 can be had pretty cheaply used

I think your idea of cheap and my idea of cheap are two very different concepts of cheap. $450 is not cheap, by any means. I'm looking for like $50 maximum, cheaper is better.
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
1,216 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
I think your idea of cheap and my idea of cheap are two very different concepts of cheap. $450 is not cheap, by any means. I'm looking for like $50 maximum, cheaper is better.

Damn I see them for half that over here
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
This was on Ebay that I saw that price, but $200 is still well out of budget.

I honestly think I might just get one of those Amplugs. It would be pretty convenient, especially since I just downloaded a drum track app on my Droid today.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Actually, I needed to just stop being a dumbass. Granted, this sounds nothing close to my Vengeance, but I just ran my guitar into my TL-2 and that into the PA. It doesn't sound the greatest, by any means at all, but it's more goddamn metal than an electric guitar played acoustically

I'm still gonna look into that Weber load box, though. At least this will tie me over until then. I was starting to get shaky and hallucinate....
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Like I said call the weber guy or E-mail. Tell him what you need. He has a few options listed on his website that may work for you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
1,216 IQ
If you don't mind going the software route virtually everything I record is software based these days, all with free VST's and once you learn how to set them up they sound massive
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Pod?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
You guys want him to get an isolation cab when all he wants to do is play with headphones??

My VHT has a power amp defeat switch so I can run the pre-amp outs to my mixer and listen with headphones, but I don't because it probably wouldn't sound very good and what a pain in the ass.

Just buy a $50 used Peavey Vyper and use the built in head[hone jack.. Geez.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by fly135
Disconnect speaker, connect this. You can get crimp on connectors cheap and avoid soldering.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=019-020&utm_source=googleps

That would work, but my amp is 120w. I can run it in 60w mode, I guess, but do they make 120w versions?
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast
831 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
That would work, but my amp is 120w. I can run it in 60w mode, I guess, but do they make 120w versions?
Yep, run it in 60 watt mode.

You don't have to crank the amp that high. But if you do then you could get this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Ohm-8R-200W-Watt-Power-Metal-Shell-Case-Wirewound-Resistor-/160685256929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25699670e1

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power-Tubular-Fixed-Wire-Wound-Resistor-200W-8-Ohm-/140844764156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cb008bfc