Poll: Should, steroids be legal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should, steroids be legal?
Yes
59 56%
No
46 44%
Voters: 105.
Page 2 of 3
yes

as should heroin
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by ExDementia
But if you're not an athlete, what's the end goal if not looking ripped? What does all that effort go towards if it's not for the functionality?

You're not looking at it from the right angle. What's the end goal? Lifting more than you did before. Running faster than you did before. Simple personal gratification. No different than the people who drink alcohol for the buzz.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I'm not going to argue for or against legalizing them, but I'm just kind of curious, exactly what would you use them for? Even if they improve physical performance, they have some nasty documented side effects if taken regularly with no medical need, most centering on a very important portion of your body. What exactly would be the rationale to use them without a prescription?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 46-49
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 4, 2012,
Quote by ErikLensherr
don't put poison in yr body bro

Don't tell people how to live bro.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by necrosis1193
I'm not going to argue for or against legalizing them, but I'm just kind of curious, exactly what would you use them for? Even if they improve physical performance, they have some nasty documented side effects if taken regularly, most centering on a very important portion of your body. What exactly would be the rationale to use them without a prescription?

Well, I've never taken them or tried to without a prescription. I don't even know where I would start if I tried. When athletes use them, it's because they want to win and be better than everyone else. Body builders, and professional wrestlers, want to be big.

I would use them to break the limit in the gym, to go passed what is physically possible without steroids. Take a deadlift from 650 lbs (not saying I can do that) to the extra plate or three.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I've had steroids prescribed to me twice I think. Both because of poison ivy.

I doubt those were the same things athletes use though.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Colgate Total
You're not looking at it from the right angle. What's the end goal? Lifting more than you did before. Running faster than you did before. Simple personal gratification. No different than the people who drink alcohol for the buzz.

i think it's quite a bit different.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Steroids work by triggering hormone releases, particularly those prominent in the opposite sex's puberty era. Yeah sure, it allows you to build muscle very quickly. But at a huge cost. Steroids aren't illegal because they give athletes an advantage (otherwise they'd all do them and all would be fair). They're illegal because they have a lot of side effects.

These side effects include higher blood pressure (leading to increased risk of heart attack, particularly in later years), reduced sexual function (including temporal infertility) and even cause cardiac arrhythmia (where the heart skips beats/has irregular beating).

And these are just the medical factors, everyone's heard about "roid rages" but anabolic steroids can also cause depression and many other psychological issues.

And on a less serious note, it can cause growing pains in adults, who have already undergone their growth spurts as adolescents

Just wanted to clarify a little. There are several types of steroids, from those used in inhalers, anti-rash creams and similar items to anabolic steroids, which I assume are the type the OP was talking about.
Last edited by l3vity at Oct 4, 2012,
People seem to have a hard time understand that taking steroid doesn't suddenly lead to side effects any more then taking any over the counter prescription would.

Steroid abuse leads to serious side effects, as does abuse of just about any substance.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i think it's quite a bit different.

And that difference grants you the right to tell people what they can put in their bodies?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
And that difference grants you the right to tell people what they can put in their bodies?

where did i say that?

for putting words in my mouth.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
where did i say that?

for putting words in my mouth.

I was merely acting preemptively before someone claimed that the difference meant that it shouldn't be allowed, which is what you appeared to be doing.
I see it the same way I see all other drugs. You're just screwing up yourself by taking it so go ahead. They should be legal.
Quote by TunerAddict
People seem to have a hard time understand that taking steroid doesn't suddenly lead to side effects any more then taking any over the counter prescription would.

Steroid abuse leads to serious side effects, as does abuse of just about any substance.

Actually you're quite wrong; they have plenty of immediate side-effects (temporary, but immediate) that can occur from very early on, with so-called 'recommended dosages'.

Do you know what steroids do, or are you simply going on word-of-mouth?

Edit: I know you mention relativity to other prescription drugs, but the main difference is that these drugs are given with known side-effects, to treat something potentially more serious - not for the user's own wishes/beliefs, and people are also more inclined to follow the dosage on a bottle than dose up with whatever some guy selling illegal stuff tells them is safe.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by TunerAddict

But one off use of steroids would provide no benefits. Only regular use (or abuse) of them will help.
They also have an addictive property associated through body dismorphia, which would be the reason 90% of people would take steroids if they were legal.
Quote by fuzzpedal
I see it the same way I see all other drugs. You're just screwing up yourself by taking it so go ahead. They should be legal.

HIV positive people have used anabolic steroid to manage their conditions for years.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Actually you're quite wrong; they have plenty of immediate side-effects (temporary, but immediate) that can occur from very early on, with so-called 'recommended dosages'.

Do you know what steroids do, or are you simply going on word-of-mouth?

Hadn't seen the research on short term side effects. Links?
Quote by TunerAddict
It isn't screwing up anyone.

A tad disingenuous of you.
Quote by Todd Hart
A tad disingenuous of you.

Thus why I edited my post, because it was hyperbole.
Quote by l3vity
Steroids work by triggering hormone releases, particularly those prominent in the opposite sex's puberty era. Yeah sure, it allows you to build muscle very quickly. But at a huge cost. Steroids aren't illegal because they give athletes an advantage (otherwise they'd all do them and all would be fair). They're illegal because they have a lot of side effects.

These side effects include higher blood pressure (leading to increased risk of heart attack, particularly in later years), reduced sexual function (including temporal infertility) and even cause cardiac arrhythmia (where the heart skips beats/has irregular beating).

And these are just the medical factors, everyone's heard about "roid rages" but anabolic steroids can also cause depression and many other psychological issues.

And on a less serious note, it can cause growing pains in adults, who have already undergone their growth spurts as adolescents

Just wanted to clarify a little. There are several types of steroids, from those used in inhalers, anti-rash creams and similar items to anabolic steroids, which I assume are the type the OP was talking about.

Not that I disagree abuse isn't dangerous, but all of those side effects can happen without steroids. Steroids can be effective and safe. People just see the effects of abuse and get all up in arms about it because they don't understand it.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by TunerAddict
It isn't screwing up anyone.

HIV positive people have used anabolic steroid to manage their conditions for years.

we're not talking about that though.

TS is clearly interested in using it recreationally in order to be able to "lift/run more"
Quote by Colgate Total
Not that I disagree abuse isn't dangerous, but all of those side effects can happen without steroids. Steroids can be effective and safe. People just see the effects of abuse and get all up in arms about it because they don't understand it.

Steroids have well documented negative effects on the body. You can petition for it's legality all you like, but don't pretend it's safe. Then you're just being as naive as the people claiming cannabis is a perfect wonder drug and the like.
Quote by TunerAddict

They're used to prevent excessive weigh loss (wasting) of patients. But they have a tendency to further reduce the immune system, meaning those with AIDs contracted through HIV would suffer using them.

Quote by Colgate Total

Cancer happens naturally, yet I'm not going to stand around asbestos increasing my chance just because i could get it anyway
Quote by TunerAddict
Hadn't seen the research on short term side effects. Links?

Google results for 'short term effects of steroids' - go nuts

Of those though, I guess these should be decent enough:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Not had time to do more than skim read those, but should be adequate at least. Or I suggest using the Google Scholar search (or whatever it's called now) for academic research write-ups on the subject.

Also, something I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread, but a common issue with steroids is the undesirable growth of things harmful to the body (cancer can be exacerbated; tumours can grow/spread; even infections can grow easier with less fight from the user's immune system).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Todd Hart
Steroids have well documented negative effects on the body. You can petition for it's legality all you like, but don't pretend it's safe. Then you're just being as naive as the people claiming cannabis is a perfect wonder drug and the like.

I said it CAN be safe. There is a difference. Much like there's a difference between creating an opinion poll and petitioning parliament.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I use caffeine. You could consider that a PED I personally recommend that over steroids anyway.

If steroids is what you want, as long as it is regulated properly I don't see why not
Quote by Colgate Total
I said it CAN be safe. There is a difference. Much like there's a difference between creating an opinion poll and petitioning parliament.

Unprotected sex with the town bike can be safe, but the majority of the time it's a bad idea.
Quote by Todd Hart
Unprotected sex with the town bike can be safe, but the majority of the time it's a bad idea.

And that literally has nothing to do with the topic at hand. What point are you trying to make (if any), because I have no idea what you're talking about?
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by King of King V
Don't tell people how to live bro.

By telling me not to tell other people how to live, are you not telling me how to live? bro.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by ErikLensherr
By telling me not to tell other people how to live, are you not telling me how to live? bro.

Bro.

Quote by Colgate Total
And that literally has nothing to do with the topic at hand. What point are you trying to make (if any), because I have no idea what you're talking about?

The point is that playing on the fact that sometimes people who constantly take steroids won't suffer any negative effects is disingenuous. The point about it's legality is related to a person's right within their own body, nothing to do with the possible negative effects (so long as they are limited to the individual), and regardless of this it's rather silly to try to defend steroids for normal people on grounds of medical safety.
Quote by Todd Hart
The point is that playing on the fact that sometimes people who constantly take steroids won't suffer any negative effects is disingenuous. The point about it's legality is related to a person's right within their own body, nothing to do with the possible negative effects (so long as they are limited to the individual), and regardless of this it's rather silly to try to defend steroids for normal people on grounds of medical safety.

Well, that would be a good counter-argument if I had said any of that.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Colgate Total

The point hes making is that just because one person may come away with no side effects, it doesn't mean the next person will. If only 10% of people developed side effects, that would still be a very considerable number of people. Because lets face it, pretty much every male between the ages of 16-25 would use it to gain muscle to look more attractive.

The issue is if you start to develop side-effects, where do you turn? To your doctor. Such an extra strain on their job would only increase everyone's medical bills (for those countries which do not have national health care) or increase taxes to help pay for such treatments on systems such as the NHS
Quote by l3vity
The point hes making is that just because one person may come away with no side effects, it doesn't mean the next person will. If only 10% of people developed side effects, that would still be a very considerable number of people. Because lets face it, pretty much every male between the ages of 16-25 would use it to gain muscle to look more attractive.

I'm not denying there wouldn't be side effects, but like other drugs, there are ways to take them without majorly screwing your body up. Injecting 100 to 1000 times the amount your body can normally produce on a daily basis for an extended period of time is obviously dangerous, but that's not what I'm suggesting people do.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Colgate Total
I'm not denying there wouldn't be side effects, but like other drugs, there are ways to take them without majorly screwing your body up. Injecting 100 to 1000 times the amount your body can normally produce on a daily basis for an extended period of time is obviously dangerous, but that's not what I'm suggesting people do.

Alright, lets hear what you're suggesting then, because I'm confused about what this grey area that, as far as I know, doesn't exist where it's a small enough amount to have no serious negative side effects and big enough to have positive effects.

Of course it should be legal. I'd never use them, just because I don't want to risk negative side effects, but if someone wants to use something to enhance their own body, who has the right to tell them they can't?
Quote by TheChaz
Of course it should be legal. I'd never use them, just because I don't want to risk negative side effects, but if someone wants to use heroin to get high, who has the right to tell them they can't?

FTFY
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
It's not illegal if you don't get caught.

I've used one cycle. Worked pretty well but stopped after, knowing I'll **** up my body if I use it too much.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I'll be honest, I've used them before. Did a low/moderate dosage of testosterone enanthate (maxed out at 500mg per week) for 10 weeks, tapering off the second 5 weeks. Did blood work before and after to see how everything went and had ZERO problems. Acne, none. Hair loss, none. Testicular atrophy, none. Blood pressure and blood levels, no changes. The mythical "roid rage", none. Mood swings, none...in fact I felt like a million bucks while I was on cycle. Not in an arrogant, invincible sort of way, but just an overall sense of well being. You feel good, you feel energized. Its like that feeling of a "natural high" you get every now and then, you feel it generally all the time while it's in your system.
I've always loved the gym, have made a lot of good friends through it, and love it as a stress relief to push my body to new limits. I gained about 30lbs of muscle naturally over 3-4 years then decided I wanted to take my body to new levels. With the cycle I gained 26lbs in 10 weeks, and only lost about 5 when I came off.
So my opinion, like with anything, they are to be used safely and in moderation. I don't believe they are worth the stigma that has been put on them, but I can understand the reasons why they are illegal, because in the wrong hands (someone inexperienced and/or stupid) they can be a very VERY dangerous thing. The problem is also people can easily get addicted to not the steroids themselves, but what they do for you, and that's when problems start. Then people start upping their dosages and taking less time between cycles, THEN all these horrible side effects that people talk about can start to show up.
However, at safe, low/moderate dosages, with long periods of time between cycles, most peoples bodies can handle it no problem, as long as you keep yourself healthy.

Oh and always no pill form steroids (dianabol, anadrol, etc.) as those WILL do damage to your liver. Injectable steroids are far better as they don't need to pass through the liver. But again, one needs education on how to properly and safely inject themselves, otherwise big problems can easily happen.

Sorry for the wall of text guys lol
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."