Poll: Do you think all guitars have unique personalities or a 'soul', so to speak?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think all guitars have unique personalities or a 'soul', so to speak?
Yes
75 54%
No
55 40%
Other (explain)
9 6%
Voters: 139.
Page 2 of 3
No.

The process of constructing most guitars is as metaphorically souless as possible, so even if I did personify inanimate objects that would put me off doing it.

I can understand being emotionally attached to stuff though, for example something a loved one left you when they died or something you put a lot of work into creating, basically something you cannot replace. As far as production guitars I just bought go though, I'd be pissed off if I broke one but no more or less than if I broke anything of equal worth.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Oct 5, 2012,
I wouldn't go as far as to say it has a soul. I like to think that the guitar is just a tool to project the "soul" of the player.

I do, however, believe it's possible to become attached to an instrument through certain circumstances. For example, I would never sell my first bass because it was the instrument that got me through the dreaded beginner phase, so now I have all these fond memories associated with it. I sell/trade my other guitars though because they don't mean a lot to me.

EDIT: Just read through the thread and realized the poster before me pretty much said the exact same thing XD
Last edited by Coach Potato at Oct 5, 2012,
Ummm. Im really confused why 48% of the vote believe that an inanimate object has a soul. It sort of underscores what I thought was wrong with this forum.

Does a trumpet have a soul? A much larger portion of UGers would answer that a trumpet is just metal constructed in such a way as to make sounds when wind is blown through it. In the same way, a guitar is a piece of wood with strings attached that makes sounds when the strings are plucked.
The fact that each guitar is different is not evidence of a soul. Every single rock in the world is different, and there are more rocks than guitars. You will never find a rock that is exactly identical in shape or composition to another in the whole world, does that mean rocks have souls? Obviously not. The fact that each guitar is different is evidence that trees are an unregulated industry that still uses variance of parts. Ie: guitars are all different because they are made of resources found in nature. Because nature is imperfect and random, what you get when you harvest these resources is imperfect and random, and when you make something out of these resources that object is going to be as random as the tree that it came from.

I honestly cant believe I just had to go all Term Paper on the subject of inanimate objects having souls.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Oct 5, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I guess so. If you're going to look at my view on a strictly rational level, it will be gibberish. I suppose the concept of an instrument having a 'soul' isn't exactly the correct word, i just use the word 'soul' because 'soul' is sometimes used in the medium of music. You can describe a kind of music as being 'soulful'- that's the kind of 'soul' i'm talking about. You can describe music as being 'soulful' without really referring to religion whatsoever.

Agreed, but when we use the word 'soulful' in connection with music, the 'soul' part of it is attached to human emotion, music is soulful because a person puts their emotions into it. The guitar on the other hand is just a tool that a musician uses to make music. The soulfulness of the music comes from the person, not the instrument.
Quote by VanTheKraut
Ummm. Im really confused why 48% of the vote believe that an inanimate object has a soul. It sort of underscores what I thought was wrong with this forum.

Does a trumpet have a soul? A much larger portion of UGers would answer that a trumpet is just metal constructed in such a way as to make sounds when wind is blown through it. In the same way, a guitar is a piece of wood with strings attached that makes sounds when the strings are plucked.
The fact that each guitar is different is not evidence of a soul. Every single rock in the world is different, and there are more rocks than guitars. You will never find a rock that is exactly identical in shape or composition to another in the whole world, does that mean rocks have souls? Obviously not. The fact that each guitar is different is evidence that trees are an unregulated industry that still uses variance of parts. Ie: guitars are all different because they are made of resources found in nature. Because nature is imperfect and random, what you get when you harvest these resources is imperfect and random, and when you make something out of these resources that object is going to be as random as the tree that it came from.

I honestly cant believe I just had to go all Term Paper on the subject of inanimate objects having souls.

Let's be fair; it's probably way more fun than going all Term Paper on an actual Term Paper.

And I would argue that different instruments have different personalities based on how they sound and who is playing them certain trumpets sound brighter than others, certain guitars sound warmer than others, etc. I worked for a music store for two years and saw various instruments pass through. In one example, we got in a squier bullet in (we were mostly entry level when it came to guitars/bass). We had had this model in the store before so it was nothing new. But this particular guitar played phenomenally well. I ****ing loved that guitar. It was hugely different from other guitars in the exact same model line. When we eventually got restocked for that model, it wasn't the same. That guitar really resonated with me in a way that no other guitar had. And keep in mind that it was only a $99 dollar guitar, not like a $2500 ibanez prestige or something.
I want to reiterate this because its pretty important.

'Soul' isn't really the right word to use, but more for a guitar to have a certain MOJO or to have a certain personality.

Quote by SlackerBabbath
Agreed, but when we use the word 'soulful' in connection with music, the 'soul' part of it is attached to human emotion, music is soulful because a person puts their emotions into it. The guitar on the other hand is just a tool that a musician uses to make music. The soulfulness of the music comes from the person, not the instrument.

I half agree. I think part of what gives a piece of music a 'soul' is a collaborate effort between guitar and player. Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No.1 wouldn't be such a beautiful piece of art if it was played on an Atari 2600 for example.

Based on that idea, certain instruments are more 'soulful' than others, but for there to have instruments that have more 'soul' than others, there needs to be a 'soul' to begin with if you see what i mean.

I should really be using the term 'MOJO' but i'm stuck with 'soul' now.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 5, 2012,
It's purely your own attachment to the object.

No, there is no mojo, or soul or anything. It's how you connect with the particular build of that object.

I've named my bike Scarlet. I say hello to her in the morning, I congratulate her on a good wheelie, or awesome technique in a corner. Is it mental? Yes, it is a bit, but I know that it's me, not the machine. There's no soul/mojo in something made out of wood.

Pinocchio doesn't count.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
It's purely your own attachment to the object.

No, there is no mojo, or soul or anything. It's how you connect with the particular build of that object.

I've named my bike Scarlet. I say hello to her in the morning, I congratulate her on a good wheelie, or awesome technique in a corner. Is it mental? Yes, it is a bit, but I know that it's me, not the machine. There's no soul/mojo in something made out of wood.

Pinocchio doesn't count.

I think that if you start developing sentiment for something or you start to feel an emotion from a piece of art, you start to subconsciously attach that thing to having a personality.
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Because he is clearly too mature for this discussion. Remember, he graduated whatever, yet still felt the need to contribute.

So because music isn't a living thing, having an emotional sentiment to a piece of music is immature too? Or are we going to be really hypocritical?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
The emotions attached to music are a little different than the personification of an inanimate object. I'd compare a guitar to a painting or a statue before I'd compare to music. A guitar is a work of art that appeals to a particular standard of aesthetic beauty, much like a painting.

All that stuff about a guitar having "mojo" is nonsense. That's basically a very mystical way of saying "I like this guitar and I can't explain exactly why".
Quote by W4RP1G
The emotions attached to music are a little different than the personification of an inanimate object. I'd compare a guitar to a painting or a statue before I'd compare to music. A guitar is a work of art that appeals to a particular standard of aesthetic beauty, much like a painting.

Doesn't a painting or a sculpture have a soul? Have you ever felt any emotion out of witnessing a piece of art before? If you have, then subconsciously, you give that piece of art a certain personality for yourself. Obviously, that's not the same for every person strictly because what is considered art to some is not considered art to others.

You don't get that feeling that you get from art if it doesn't have a personality whatsoever.
Quote by W4RP1G
All that stuff about a guitar having "mojo" is nonsense. That's basically a very mystical way of saying "I like this guitar and I can't explain exactly why".

Is growing attached to a piece of art really that immature? Hell no.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But isn't that the very thing that gives players the idea of a metaphorical soul in the first place?

I know this is your thread and you wanted to use the word soul, but all it's done is cause confusion and arguments about semantics. Is your idea of a "guitar with a soul" different than a "guitar with mojo", or is it the same thing?

But to answer your question, I can't speak about souls or mojo, I can generally understand why it is I like a guitar and put that into words. But I tend to approach things with an inherent skepticism towards superstition(which is probably also why I'm an atheist).
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Is growing attached to a piece of art really that immature?

Growing attached to something will happen for many people. It's a sense of familiarity and comfort. However, the attachment can rise to unhealthy levels, which is where the fate of an object can affect human emotions in a very powerful way.

Also, some people really value their sentimental attachment to stuff. I do not really understand this, I've never had any sentimental attachment before. But I am aware that it exists for many people, so perhaps it's an inherent human trait.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 5, 2012,
Quote by W4RP1G
I know this is your thread and you wanted to use the word soul, but all it's done is cause confusion and arguments about semantics. Is your idea of a "guitar with a soul" different than a "guitar with mojo", or is it the same thing?

But to answer your question, I can't speak about souls or mojo, I can generally understand why it is I like a guitar and put that into words. But I tend to approach things with an inherent skepticism towards superstition(which is probably also why I'm an atheist).

I've said this before. 'Soul' isn't really the right word. I used to word 'soul' because music can be described as being 'soulful' and i intuitively put one and one together. MOJO is a much better word to describe the idea i'm trying to get at.
Quote by W4RP1G

Growing attached to something will happen for many people. It's a sense of familiarity and comfort. However, the attachment can rise to unhealthy levels, which is where the fate of an object can affect human emotions in a very powerful way.

That pretty much applies with anything in life. Too much of anything is bad for you whether it be Love or Vitamin A in your diet.
Quote by W4RP1G
Also, some people really value their sentimental attachment to stuff. I do not really understand this, I've never had any sentimental attachment before. But I am aware that it exists for many people, so perhaps it's an inherent human trait.

So basically what you're saying is that you're not the sort of person that really understands a piece of art. I appreciate that, but i don't think that deeply appreciating art is an immature thing at all. I find it to be perfectly understandable because i've experienced that myself along with pretty much every artist and artisan that has ever lived.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So basically what you're saying is that you're not the sort of person that really understands a piece of art. I appreciate that, but i don't think that deeply appreciating art is an immature thing at all. I find it to be perfectly understandable because i've experienced that myself along with pretty much every artist and artisan that has ever lived.

No, I didn't say that. Are you saying that someone has to have an emotional attachment to understand art? Maybe I don't understand art on your level, but unless the artist has clearly expressed that their art is specifically meant to bring forth human emotions, then it's anyone's guess about how it's "meant to be enjoyed". And even then art is completely subjective, so it doesn't mean a thing if someone "doesn't get it".

Also, I'm an artist and artisan as well, so I guess your theory that "every artist and artisan has an emotional attachment to art" has been turned upside-down.
Quote by W4RP1G
No, I didn't say that. Are you saying that someone has to have an emotional attachment to understand art? Maybe I don't understand art on your level, but unless the artist has clearly expressed that their art is specifically meant to bring forth human emotions, then it's anyone's guess about how it's "meant to be enjoyed". And even then art is completely subjective, so it doesn't mean a thing if someone "doesn't get it".

Also, I'm an artist and artisan as well, so I guess your theory that "every artist and artisan has an emotional attachment to art" has been turned upside-down.

Quote by W4RP1G

Also, some people really value their sentimental attachment to stuff. I do not really understand this, I've never had any sentimental attachment before.

So in that case you're an artist that doesn't get emotionally attached to one's own art?

I suppose i can't really argue with that because as you've said yourself:
art is completely subjective, so it doesn't mean a thing if someone "doesn't get it".

I guess i was wrong. My mistake, i suppose i don't get why you don't get why i get what i get.

As you've said so yourself, even if i don't, what does it matter?
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Of course, not in a literal sense, but in the same way that you can say a human being has a metaphorical 'soul'.

I think this would make an interesting debate because some people on this forum have conflicting opinions on the topic.

I have an inclination to think that a guitar does have a metaphorical 'soul'. Every single guitar, even if its the same model sounds very slightly different to one another as wood is a natural, inconsistent material. You notice things such as the flame on the top being slightly different or that one may have an imperfection somewhere that doesn't make it any less of a guitar, but instead gives the guitar almost a unique personality that makes the guitar special to you.

What i'm trying to say is:

Do you think that a guitar is nothing more than a piece of a dead tree with strings on it and growing emotionally attached to an instrument is stupid and irrational?

Or do you think guitars have more of a human quality in which they all have their little foibles and temperaments which give each guitar its own personality? And that having emotional sentiment to an instrument is understandable?

Yes, but I take it a step further and say that a guitar has a mind as well. I think that it absorbes a little bit of the personality of each of it's owners (not represented by dings and such, but, you know, fit, feel, tone)

I try to only buy used guitars, but pretty quick here I'm coming into the option to get a brand new ES335, and I want to see if it developes, over the years, some spunk and peronality from me, as a person and player.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So in that case you're an artist that doesn't get emotionally attached to one's own art?

Exactly. Though I think the term emotionally "ATTACHED" is very different than feeling an emotion. Art can evoke an emotion in me. There is just no attachment to the art(though that shouldn't be confused with indifference towards it's existence). And I'll admit that I've poured emotion into art before, to the point of being in tears while drawing. I've done the same with music. That's why such things are called an "emotional outlet".

And sometimes a depiction of something can "pull at my heart strings". However, it's often something that hits close to home for me, so it's not so much the art itself, but the idea that it conveys.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
As you've said so yourself, even if i don't, what does it matter?

Bingo. When it comes to a subjective interpretation of something that is open to interpretation, it would be unrealistic to expect for us to understand each other. That's not to say that there is no point in discussing it, just so long as everyone accepts that a universal understanding may be unattainable.
Yeah, this topic is a very personal thing and the why it causes these effects to many people is an enigma.

A universal understanding wasn't really the goal of the thread, but i think its an interesting topic and it makes refreshing a change from the same old LTD NGD threads you get pretty much every day.
Quote by W4RP1G
And sometimes a depiction of something can "pull at my heart strings". However, it's often something that hits close to home for me, so it's not so much the art itself, but the idea that it conveys.

I think the way in which it conveys an idea is part of its artistic merit.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
i think its an interesting topic and it makes refreshing a change from the same old LTD NGD threads you get pretty much every day.

Fighting the urge to turn hijack this thread with abalone pics.....
Quote by W4RP1G
Fighting the urge to turn hijack this thread with abalone pics.....

Scumbag.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by VanTheKraut

/thread

To that one guy: Expressing opinion is sort of the point of a public forum.

The only reason I brought up the high school thing is because the sort of "things have personalities" mindset just strikes me as a largely juvenile phenomena. As you grow older, your outlook just starts to change.

Disclaimer: anecdotal, etc..
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 5, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
/thread

This.

Someone give that man some sort of trophy because he deserves something for that post.
Quote by Heideck
I dont play the same on two different guitar, even if they would have same pick ups. Just the look and the feeling of the neck makes me play diffently

I'm the same way but I think it's mainly because necks sometime lend themselves to different playing styles.

And I also think it's creepy when people get "attached" to instruments, cars, trinkets, etc.

I guess I'm the weird one here
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I have played two guitars of the same model through the exact same rig, the only difference in the guitars being the finish, and they sounded VERY different from each other. Call me crazy, but that's my experience.

Just as a reminder, I do agree with a guitar having "soul" in the metaphorical sense, as a guitar's tone is its soul in my personal opinion.
I am sorry for anything I created on this forum in 2012. Including my pretentious username.
Last edited by Sinfinity000 at Oct 5, 2012,
Quote by Sinfinity000
I have played two guitars of the same model through the exact same rig, the only difference in the guitars being the finish, and they sounded VERY different from each other. Call me crazy, but that's my experience.

Just as a reminder, I do agree with a guitar having "soul" in the metaphorical sense, as a guitar's tone is its soul in my personal opinion.

How exactly does switching the word "tone" with "soul" do anything different? By your logic I could switch the word "color" with "soul", thus making everything in world have a soul.
Quote by Sinfinity000

I think people here who consider a guitar to have a soul mean that they're attached to it to the point that they believe it has a personality.

Tone and and the "soul" referred to in this thread aren't the same.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by op4blushift
I agree, its sort of like a tool you can channel your emotions through. I think some semi-famous guitarist said something like that..

i am sure many has, but if a guitarist did, i don't think i ever heard it prior to this post.

if somebody did say that i have no clue on who, i would be interested.

but i stand with my first post 100% and agree with yours.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Nope. A guitar is just a tool. A means of which to convey what you want yourself and others to hear. Everyone does a different thing so everyone will need a different tool.
The knives begin singing. They're weeping for your flesh.
Quote by W4RP1G
Exactly. Though I think the term emotionally "ATTACHED" is very different than feeling an emotion. Art can evoke an emotion in me. There is just no attachment to the art(though that shouldn't be confused with indifference towards it's existence). And I'll admit that I've poured emotion into art before, to the point of being in tears while drawing. I've done the same with music. That's why such things are called an "emotional outlet".

Well look at it this way. Music envokes lots of emotions in me, but that doesn't mean I think any of my instruments have "souls," in much the same way as art and drawings envoke a lot of emotions in me, but again, that doesn't mean I think my pencils or paper have "souls."
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
No,my guitar doesn't make me what I am as a guitarist. The soul of my playing lies within me.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
ippon was right, it's called M O J O

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 8, 2012,
Soul no, MOJO yes. But I think that only certain guitars are capable of having this and it is not a blanket statement
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gregs1020
M O J O

I guess I was wrong some guitars really do have souls
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oh it's mojo.

that one not only has mojo but a legacy.
Quote by gregs1020
oh it's mojo.

that one not only has mojo but a legacy.

That is a georgeous guitar, They deff dont make 'em like that any more
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For me it's mojo, not soul.

Guitars have them, but I'm a tired bluesman and not a metal head so it's probably obvious that I think that way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Depends on the guitar. I just can't find the feel to RGs, Dinkies, and the sort.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I laugh at those getting hung up on the word soul. Substitute vibe, personality, character, MOJO... The answer is yes. Dont care what is being said to the contrary. If not, why is one of the main mantras on these forums: try before you buy?

If all guitars are just tools regardless of their innate differences (even between the exact same models), then why not just walk into anymusic shop, ask for "x" guitar, pay for it and leave?

Coin it how you want, but EVERY guitar is different in its own way, and will resonate differently with each unique person.

Try before you buy for a reason...
Quote by Robbgnarly
That is a georgeous guitar, They deff dont make 'em like that any more

actually they do.

that's an R8 that nicholasrivera "relic'd".

Quote by Axe Murderer
If not, why is one of the main mantras on these forums: try before you buy?

Because guitars are made from wood, which is a substance that naturally differs from piece to piece. Plus, most companies aren't known for their impeccable 100% fit and finish.

I didn't try my SE when I bought it and it's ridiculously heavy. I didn't care at first but now I regret it. I see why people say "try before you buy" and it has nothing to do with the "soul" of the instrument.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?