Page 1 of 2
I'm a 15 year old self taught guitarist and i want to join a band, but i'm worried that i won't be taken seriously because i am a teenager. I am a completely capable guitarist and i think i'm better than a lot of adults, ( i don't mean that in an arrogant way but i am self taught and have been playing for nearly 10 years). My favourite band is Thin Lizzy and I found out that Brian Robertson joined Thin Lizzy when he was 17 so i thought if he can do it why can't I.
So the question is, Would you have a 15 year old in your band if he was talented and very capable ?
I expect a 15 year old would need ferrying around, probably wouldn't be able to afford to contribute towards practice sessions and general band consumables, and would limit the places that we could play in, as a lot of venues are over-18.

So no. Sorry. You're out.
Given how much shit I got from venue managers when I was 17 and playing gigs in bars, I wouldn't want to have to deal with that for 3 years. So unless you're Shawn Lane levels of talent, I'd say no.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Nope. Lots of places I've played at enforce a minimum-age policy, even for performers. Sorry dude.
You might also want to worry about not being taken seriously for not capitalising your "I"s.
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
I expect a 15 year old would need ferrying around, probably wouldn't be able to afford to contribute towards practice sessions and general band consumables, and would limit the places that we could play in, as a lot of venues are over-18.

This - also, I like to be able to hang out and relate with my band mates, and I couldn't do that with a teenager (I'm closer to 30 than 20).

However, if I was say 18 I don''t think I'd have a problem with it.

Note: I was a complete arse when I was 18.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Best to start a band with people your age. An adult is going to expect a lot more out of you (in terms of making it to practice, contributing financially, so forth) than you'll probably be able to manage.
Depends on where you live. I've been in bands since I was 15/16 because there isn't an age limit in venues around here.

On the other hand, mobility was always a problem, but that's not an impossible obstacle to overcome (I just got my driver's license and my own car last month). Money can also be a problem but only if you're in a band that's serious about recording and selling merchandise.

You should be able to start a little band right now without being too ambitious about touring, recording and selling merchandise in the near future.
I'M A COWBOY
My advice: Start a band with people your age. Spend 3 years getting really damn good. Then start gigging. There's nothing more depressing than a band with absolutely no cohesion who obviously aren't comfortable playing with each other. I know, I've been in one of those bands.
Quote by entity0009
My advice: Start a band with people your age. Spend 3 years getting really damn good. Then start gigging. There's nothing more depressing than a band with absolutely no cohesion who obviously aren't comfortable playing with each other. I know, I've been in one of those bands.

THIS! You're not gonna get into a band with most people older than you. Work on getting a band going with friends your own age, do some local coffee houses or something of the like and make sure you guys are tight as hell. I too have been part of bands that have no cohesion at all and it's depressing.
Paul Gilbert wanted to play with Ozzy Osborne when he was 15 and got rejected.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
to be on the up and up my drummer is a 14 year old and i must say he can play his ass off one of the best i have seen and better than some guys that are in there twentys so i dont think it matters unless your going to jam in a bar but we have plan for that thow we ask him to put a i d on that says he is under age and when the set is up he dose have togo out side so far so good for now so i dont think matters
try out and stuff, thats what I started doing since noone my age had a band or anything so i tried out for a band and they liked me. So we played a couple time in texas and stuff at bars that where 18+ so **** them. I was 16 im now 18 but yea shit like that gets you lots of attention at bars, and i love attention lol
press ctrl + w
I guess most venues have problems with under 18's. But I know that here where I live, the rock scene is actually one of the most sober and the stage is a much more safer environment than in a club.

I guess because in the US the drinking age is 21 so being under 18 is pretty much ridiculous to them. But in the UK being 15/16 isn't so bad.

My friend and his band range from 16-20. Its not the age that restricts them as such, its just not so good when the drummer who manages the band loves to bad mouth the bands that they're supposed to be supporting haha.
I'm 17 and I would only add someone who was 15 years of age to my band if the kid was exceptionally good. Especially if it was a guitarist.

It would be a bigger chance I would hire you if you were a 15 year-old bassist or a 15 year-old drummer, if I was in need of one.

Just look for openings in bands, they might make an exception if you were incredible good (Which I don't know if you are)
DeVillains!
Most clubs you play when you're just getting started will be 21+. It really sucked having my drummer (who was 20 at the time) have to sit out in the parking lot before and after the show because he wasn't allowed in. Although, some places just don't give a shit.

Then there's the problem of you not being able to drive, pay for a practice space, and equipment.

Honestly, for me, it would be more hassle than it's worth. Either start a band with people your age or wait until you're 18 at the very minimum to join a band with 20-somethings. Even then, 3 years is a long time to not be allowed into the clubs you're trying to play. This especially sucks when you're the only one who can't stay inside.
I don't think I would have a problem getting into clubs or stuff since I look older and I have a Fake ID , ( I use it to go to over 18's gigs, not to drink).
Quote by entity0009

This.
Quote by entity0009

oh, you dont even know
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Depends on if he has a family member at the dmv for an id
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
as long as you didn't act like the 15 year old in the last band i was in.

so, don't be an ignorant, racist, little shit who likes to tell tall tales about how you went to juvie and how you fight people all the time.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by lemmyisgod97
I don't think I would have a problem getting into clubs or stuff since I look older and I have a Fake ID , ( I use it to go to over 18's gigs, not to drink).

In that case, most certainly not. You get busted using a fake ID and your older bandmates could get in trouble as well since you were together as a group (and could be reasonably inferred that they knew your actual age)

Also, regardless if you drink or not, possession of a fake id is a crime itself. (It's prosecuted as forgery)
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Oct 5, 2012,
i've known of venues that allow underage band members to perform at 18/21+ shows. sometimes they'd even let underage friends of the band into the show if they carried in equipment and said they were a roadie or whatever.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
People really can be assholes sometimes.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
Quote by loaded_
Depends on where you live. I've been in bands since I was 15/16 because there isn't an age limit in venues around here.

On the other hand, mobility was always a problem, but that's not an impossible obstacle to overcome (I just got my driver's license and my own car last month). Money can also be a problem but only if you're in a band that's serious about recording and selling merchandise.

You should be able to start a little band right now without being too ambitious about touring, recording and selling merchandise in the near future.

Exactly what I was gonna say
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
When I was 15, I played bass in a band with two of my mother's coworkers who were both in their 30s.

I've always gotten along with people older than me though, I personally wouldn't want to deal with a teenager in my band.
Id let a 15 year old be a co/third guitarist. Because I wouldn't mind just going down a guitar player if I had to drummers, singers and bass players on the other hand
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
as long as you didn't act like the 15 year old in the last band i was in.

so, don't be an ignorant, racist, little shit who likes to tell tall tales about how you went to juvie and how you fight people all the time.

Sorry
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Sorry

n8 pls.

you read books.

and you don't listen to ska music that sings about unity n shit, but turn around and complain about black people and "Mexicans".
Quote by jakesmellspoo
n8 pls.

you read books.

and you don't listen to ska music that sings about unity n shit, but turn around and complain about black people and "Mexicans".

It's true, I don't listen to ska.
you're a stone fox
Maybe if we were just a get drunk/fuck around band, and didn't play any gigs, then I would. Of course then you'd have to drink, or like being around drunk people while sober. You'd also have to like getting alot of shit.

(I'm not acually in a band)
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez

Probably this. Although as far as jamming around I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
I'm a 15 year old self taught guitarist and i want to join a band, but i'm worried that i won't be taken seriously because i am a teenager. I am a completely capable guitarist and i think i'm better than a lot of adults, ( i don't mean that in an arrogant way but i am self taught and have been playing for nearly 10 years). My favourite band is Thin Lizzy and I found out that Brian Robertson joined Thin Lizzy when he was 17 so i thought if he can do it why can't I.
So the question is, Would you have a 15 year old in your band if he was talented and very capable ?

This post tells me that, no, I would not take you in my band.

And I find that most (~95%) of 'self taught' musicians are terrible, and they all refuse to admit it.

Quote by lemmyisgod97

Yeah, now I know I wouldn't take you.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at Oct 6, 2012,
Page 1 of 2