Page 1 of 2
I've got a bit of an important question for something I'm writing. Okay, here goes.

John Galt is to Republicans as (who) is to Democrats?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm looking for a character from a book. Whoops, that's important information.
Last edited by L2112Lif at Oct 5, 2012,
Kevin James
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Karl Marx.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Jimmy Saville
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

No one,

because there are no other writers as great as Ayn Rand that have affiliated themselves with the democratic party.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by L2112Lif
Well, actor, actor, actor, guy I'm trying to draw comparisons to, man who owns everything, movie, yes, lol Rand, ... Musician?, People.

I get it, I'll just use O'Brien from 1984 since people apparently don't read anymore.

O'Brien?

What kind of a dick is this John Galt guy?
Quote by willT08
O'Brien?

Rand uses Galt as a sort of Prometheus character who withdraws from the world because he isn't getting enough credit for his 'work'. As a result, the world (Of Ayn Rand, because apparently the world is built on Atlas's back, hence the title Atlas Shrugged... Which brings up the point why is Galt both Prometheus and Atlas) begins to crumble economically, laying the groundwork for the book.

O'Brien isn't nearly the same connection, smooth-talking traitor to Winston's revolution, but it's as close as I can get. He's kinda likable for some people, outright villainous to others, but it's not as polar as Galt.
Quote by willT08
O'Brien?

He starts a boycott against an authoritarian government running a command economy similar to that of the Soviet Union.
Oh I thought of one, actually!

poop
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Tom Joad from The Grapes of Wrath

Steinbeck kicks the shit out of Rand as a writer, too.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Gary Busey
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by L2112Lif
Well, actor, actor, actor, guy I'm trying to draw comparisons to, man who owns everything, movie, yes, lol Rand, ... Musician?, People.

I get it, I'll just use O'Brien from 1984 since people apparently don't read anymore.

Rand and Orwell. Look at Mr. Reader.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
todd bertuzzi

Quote by element4433
Rand and Orwell. Look at Mr. Reader.

Because two characters completely defines my library.

In all honesty, I haven't been able to read much outside of school texts because of my schedule. It sucks... And besides, these two are readily accessible and fairly popular, so it's easy to use them.
Quote by ErikLensherr

This is an excellent post. Tom Joad is about the best character you could use to compare to John Galt. Also The Grapes of Wrath is an amazing book.
Quote by ErikLensherr

(Lets get this straight, Rand is awful)

Okay, I'll look into it further. I remember reading this for school, so I've gotta dig up a book. Thanks.
Quote by L2112Lif
(Lets get this straight, Rand is awful)

Okay, I'll look into it further. I remember reading this for school, so I've gotta dig up a book. Thanks.

Anthem isn't awful, and Atlas Shrugged isn't that bad; not from a literary point of view anyway.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Are we talking about characters who were thought to be good guys, but turned out to be the bad guys?

If so, then I vouch for Ozymandias/Rorscach (although in a roundabout way) from Watchmen.

Also, I knew O'Brien was going to be trouble for Winston in 1984. The way Winston idealised him was what made him blind to what he should've caught on to as soon as he went in to his luxurious office.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Crazyedd123
Are we talking about characters who were thought to be good guys, but turned out to be the bad guys?

If so, then I vouch for Ozymandias/Rorscach (although in a roundabout way) from Watchmen.

Also, I knew O'Brien was going to be trouble for Winston in 1984. The way Winston idealised him was what made him blind to what he should've caught on to as soon as he went in to his luxurious office.

Naw, I think it's all political.

In which case I'd present Jurgis Rudkus of The Jungle, a character who was underprivaleged and completely beat down by the same industrial world that Rand wrote about. He exemplefies those who work hard, but without collective assistance (i.e. worker's right), as have no control over their lives and become stuck as cogs of the machine.

John Galt is an unrealistic portrayal of privilege and human excellence.
Jurgis Rudkus is a highly realistic portrayal of honest human's struggle which is useless acting only as an individual in a larger society.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Oct 5, 2012,
Quote by ErikLensherr

I loved Tortilla Flat, funny shit right there
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Atticus Finch?

Too loved now. Maybe back at the book's writing yes, but... I'm trying to grab someone who is ridiculously polarizing depending on your politics. Galt came to mind because, depending on your own views, he's either the last bastion of the human spirit or a devil who would let the world die at the drop of a hat.

EDIT:

Quote by Mark Roxx
John Galt would've hated Republicans.

Absolutely, as Ayn Rand did by the end of her lifetime. She denounced Reagan pretty hard and, though she's equally batshit insane, deserves some props for calling Reagan out as batshit insane.
Quote by L2112Lif
she's equally batshit insane

Not really, she just had a deep hatred for Soviet Russia when she lived there so her political views just became the polar opposite of it.
To be honest, I wouldn't correlate John Galt with Republicans.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Eh I'd say Robin Hood. Ragnar's own antithesis

This struck me as the most apt one.
Quote by L2112Lif
Too loved now. Maybe back at the book's writing yes, but... I'm trying to grab someone who is ridiculously polarizing depending on your politics. Galt came to mind because, depending on your own views, he's either the last bastion of the human spirit or a devil who would let the world die at the drop of a hat.

EDIT:

Absolutely, as Ayn Rand did by the end of her lifetime. She denounced Reagan pretty hard and, though she's equally batshit insane, deserves some props for calling Reagan out as batshit insane.

But Democrats have quite right-wing views so you'll struggle to find a literary antithesis for Galt that also works as a metaphor for a slightly-less-right-wing party.
Page 1 of 2