shmeegle
Guitarist
879 IQ
Evening ladies and gents of the pit.

I'm learning german which is great. What's not great, is that alt codes are killing me.
This is neither a language based question, nor a computer based one, I'm also too lazy to searchbar, and there's been far more pointless and annoying threads in the pit, so it's not going in the language or computer threads.

My problem is this. I'm using a laptop, with no numberpad.

alt codes usually don't give me much trouble. But everytime i try to make an o with an umlaut (alt code 148), my browser goes back a page.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!?

I'm guessing it's some kind of conflicting code (alt + fn +4 seems to do this).

Is there away around it, can I edit my keybord shortcuts so it doesn't happen?
Should this even happen at all?

Thanks guys

TL;DR - I know how to use the numberpad. but fn + alt + u is moving my browsr back a page. WHY!? and can i fix it?
Last edited by shmeegle at Oct 5, 2012,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by shmeegle
Evening ladies and gents of the pit.

I'm learning german which is great. What's not great, is that alt codes are killing me.
This is neither a language based question, nor a computer based one, I'm also too lazy to searchbar, and there's been far more pointless and annoying threads in the pit, so it's not going in the language or computer threads.

My problem is this. I'm using a laptop, with no numberpad.

alt codes usually don't give me much trouble. But everytime i try to make an o with an umlaut (alt code 148), my browser goes back a page.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!?

I'm guessing it's some kind of conflicting code (alt + fn +4 seems to do this).

Is there away around it, can I edit my keybord shortcuts so it doesn't happen?
Should this even happen at all?

Thanks guys

Don't most non-numberpad laptops have a 'numberpad' in the main keyboard, using some of the letter keys, and generally accessed with a Function key?

What laptop make/model are you actually using?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
shmeegle
Guitarist
879 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Don't most non-numberpad laptops have a 'numberpad' in the main keyboard, using some of the letter keys, and generally accessed with a Function key?

What laptop make/model are you actually using?

I knew I should have mentioned this, I figured people could work it out that I knew the numberpad though. Serves me right.

YEah the numberpad isn't the problem.
123 = jkl
456 = uio
789 = 789

what's happening, is the combination of fn + alt + U, is moving my browser back a page.
Instead of making the o umlaut, like it's supposed to.
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,304 IQ
♦♣♠☺☻♥

Today, I learned something new.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ali priori / Ali posteriori
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Jesus christ Ali is a nutcase

I actually feel sorry for him, like seriously, get help
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by shmeegle
I knew I should have mentioned this, I figured people could work it out that I knew the numberpad though. Serves me right.

YEah the numberpad isn't the problem.
123 = jkl
456 = uio
789 = 789

what's happening, is the combination of fn + alt + U, is moving my browser back a page.
Instead of making the o umlaut, like it's supposed to.

Again, what make and model of laptop are you using. In quite a few of them you do NOT have to hold the fn key down to use the numpad, there's an F key that turns it on and off as necessary.

http://www.northlite.net/ps/numpad.htm
Charles Darwin
Cb4rabid
K♦️
2,628 IQ
▓▓▓▓ ▓ ╞ ö ─

wtf i never knew how to do that
pinga
shmeegle
Guitarist
879 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Again, what make and model of laptop are you using. In quite a few of them you do NOT have to hold the fn key down to use the numpad, there's an F key that turns it on and off as necessary.

http://www.northlite.net/ps/numpad.htm

I'm using an old HP pavillion. DV6000 i think.

Quote by ExDementia
*charmap*

That's actually quite useful. Thanks. Although i'd rather not have to copy and paste everytime.
Last edited by shmeegle at Oct 5, 2012,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by shmeegle
That's handy enough I guess!
Thanks!

You're welcome.

You may now go and reflect on my original post and your response to it...
Charles Darwin
Dirge Humani
Tyler
282 IQ
You could also turn on the US International keyboard. It turns the accent keys into dead keys, so to type a ü I just type "u, and to actually type a " I need to type a " with a space after it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560

It takes about half an hour to get used to having to type around the dead keys, but it is much easier than remembering alt codes or using an on screen keyboard.

Although, considering you're in Ireland, the UK International keyboard would probably make a tad more sense.
Quote by Hydra150
I tried to open the kitchen door and accidentally turned the light off instead

now googling "how to pasta"
shmeegle
Guitarist
879 IQ
Quote by Arby911
You're welcome.

You may now go and reflect on my original post and your response to it...

I will do no such thing.

Assuming I couldn't work out the num lock was silly and slightly offensive. What your post did give me, was an alternative alt code, I still have no idea why the original post is performing a "back" on my browser.

I did forgot to mention my laptop type, so for that I apologise.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by shmeegle
I will do no such thing.

Assuming I couldn't work out the num lock was silly and slightly offensive. What your post did give me, was an alternative alt code, I still have no idea why the original post is performing a "back" on my browser.

I did forgot to mention my laptop type, so for that I apologise.

As you wish, as per your own admission you hadn't figured it out and were using/trying to use alt+fn directly, which as you found out, doesn't work.

Hope you don't need any more help...
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 5, 2012,
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
öh dÄmn. ì cöûld never figure out how to do that.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug