Page 1 of 2

In just about every time travel theory, movie, book, anecdote, limerick, and riddle, people always bring up the idea that "if you mess up something in the past, you could wind up not existing or otherwise change the future." This is bulliest of shit, and I'll explain why...

If you go back in time, everything you do already happened because it's the past. This means that before you even invented time travel to go back to the 1800's to f*** your great, great, great, (smokin' hot) grandma, she was already f***ed by her great grandson by the time you invent time travel. You didn't change anything, you just did what already happened in the past. Get what I'm saying?

If you go into the past and do something, it already happened. Going back in time won't suddenly change things in the present because it already happened IN THE PAST.

Although...

Things do still get a little murky when you factor in the idea of: if you did something like kill your great grandma (after you f***ed, of course), that's where things get paradoxical. If you kill your grandmother before she gave birth, how would you exist to kill her in the first place?

But then again, maybe you already know you won't kill her, simply because you exist...

Ok maybe I'm still lost on the whole idea, but I think everyone is.

Thoughts?
That you posted this thread next year?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by ExDementia

Although...

Things do still get a little murky when you factor in the idea of: if you did something like kill your great grandma (after you f***ed, of course), that's where things get paradoxical. If you kill your grandmother before she gave birth, how would you exist to kill her in the first place?

Well apparently she wasn't your real grandmother because you still existed to go back and kill whoever you thought your grandmother was...
woah.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
TIME TRAVEL IS IMPOSSIBLE!

/thread
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
ts, that's an annoying thing to think about

truth is time travel is impossible brah
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Quote by ExDementia

If you go back in time, everything you do already happened because it's the past. This means that before you even invented time travel to go back to the 1800's to f*** your great, great, great, (smokin' hot) grandma, she was already f***ed by her great grandson by the time you invent time travel. You didn't change anything, you just did what already happened in the past. Get what I'm saying?
Thoughts?

Are you Hubert Farnsworth?
Someone doesn't understand that logic need not apply to a fictitious plot device which already stretches the boundaries of time and reality very liberally.
[IMG]http://www.i.imgur.com/vzC5EKt.png[/IMG]

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
Quote by ExDementia
Good to know someone caught the reference

You are obviously the first person to have thought of this.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
You are obviously the first person to have thought of this.

I know right?
The thing about time travel is this...

Back to the Future rules

Or

Terminator rules.

PSN ID: ArranP
If time travel were possible, someone from the future would have already came back to the past to tell us about time travel.

Quote by JackalUK
Time travel is possible, just not backward. YET....

Not really true. It´s possible to fly to a country which is 2,3,4 hours etc behind your time.
Quote by ExDementia
f*** your great, great, great, (smokin' hot) grandma

Futurama reference?
That which does not kill us makes us cookies.
Quote by muffinduck01
TIME TRAVEL IS IMPOSSIBLE!

/thread

Unless you consider the (proven)theory in which you use gravity to increase the rate in which you progress through time, thus traveling to the future(essentially).
Technically we observe time already well past every day. Every time we look up at the stars.
It's the grandfather paradox and yes it is true, mostly because its not stating that if you went back in time and killed your great grandmother before you were done you would cease to exist; however the grandfather paradox is most often used to argue that time travel into the past is impossible, which Steven Hawking himself has concluded as well, now traveling to a parallel universe where the time there may only be 1822 is possible but its not the same place. Time travel forward is possible as the closer you travel to the speed of light the slower you will perceive time to be, I saw an experiment where they used advanced physics which can be used to calculate forward "time travel" and it went something like this...

Bullet train that circles around the equator of the Earth at near light speeds for something like 1 year, when it stopped and got off the train it was actually 100 years in the future or something crazy its been a few years since the program.

Another way is gravity, extreme forces of gravity can slow down the perception of time as well, if one were to fly a space ship close to a Black Hole as to be effected by its mass amounts of gravity it would have the same effect as traveling at near light speed. When an item falls into a black hole it's traveling so slow that anyone outside the gravitational pull of the black hole would perceive the item as infinitely falling into the black holes vortex. Space is ****ing awesome! There are tons of science documentaries on this kind of stuff and being a physics junky I always watch them.

Edit: 4th dimension is Time and/or SpaceTime however you wish to refer to it
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Last edited by ne14t at Oct 5, 2012,
Quote by ExDementia

But then again, maybe you already know you won't kill her, simply because you exist...

If you do something that causes yourself not to go back in time, then you don't go back in time, which means you didn't prevent yourself from going back in time, which means you went back in time, which means you prevented yourself from going back in time, which means you didn't go back in time, which...you get the idea. It's a paradox. And you could say "Sure, but you won't do that, because you didn't do that!" but that's not addressing the issue in any meaningful way.

See, this is why faster-than-light travel isn't a desirable thing--it leads to silliness like this.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by FenderBender72
If time travel were possible, someone from the future would have already came back to the past to tell us about time travel.

Maybe they just know we're still dumb-shit apes
The only way for time travel to be even remotely possible without messing with continuity is for your travel to start up a parallel universe, so you'll be in your own history, but with a different future from the time you came from.

Only then can time travel make sense. All we need to do is work out the theories and prove it. Gotta fap first though.
Quote by kalnoky7
Maybe they just know we're still dumb-shit apes

Or maybe they have a policy of not doing things that would result in having to think about paradoxes.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by Lord_Doku
The only way for time travel to be even remotely possible without messing with continuity is for your travel to start up a parallel universe, so you'll be in your own history, but with a different future from the time you came from.

Only then can time travel make sense. All we need to do is work out the theories and prove it. Gotta fap first though.

This has always been my hypothesis for time travel.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Or maybe they have a policy of not doing things that would result in having to think about paradoxes.

The most defining moment in our future will be banning and destroying all Escher drawings
Quote by ExDementia
Does that mean we can't talk about it?

Of course not.

I jsut think it's not a big deal. Most of the time these are just for entertainment. Like Back to the Future/Futurama/ect.

That's all I was trying to say. Obviously it makes no sense, but I usually won't care.

But whatever, discuss away.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I think if you were to time travel, you would create parallel dimensions because you couldnt influence the time line where you came from because those events already took place and you exist. If you altered the past you would be in a different dimension or stream of time but the one you came from would still exist.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by Lord_Doku

but wouldnt that leave you unable to change your own past?
what i mean is when you time travel backwards into a parallel universe there exists a "past you" but that isnt really you it is "parallel universe you" so if you succeed in changing that parallel universe past then your own past remains the same. when you travel back to your own universe/time nothing will have changed, right?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Page 1 of 2