I hear that it's simply impossible to recieve a decent scholarship in the 2-digit thousands, and I want some advice on how to get one of those rarities.

I'm a Junior right now and I will have completed 5 AP's by the end of this year. 10 AP's by the end of Senior year.

My GPA is 3.8 unweighted and 4.3 weighted. By the end of this year, the weighted GPA will have gone up to 4.6, judging by my current performance. My SAT is a decent but kinda wobbly 2090 right now, but I'm retaking the test tomorrow and aiming for around a 2300.

For my extracurriculars, I did JV Football freshman and sophomore year. In 10th grade I competed in a tri-state chemistry competition at a state university but didn't win anything. I also do debate team and tutor Elementary schoolers for the SPEAK club. I am the 11th grade SGA secretary.

Next year and further on this year, I plan to join Marching Band as the only electric guitarist in the district and maybe play a Varsity sport. I'm also going to create the "Gallant Guitarists' Guild" (guitar club) and join the Trivia Team.

So that's about it.

What are my chances of getting a scholarship? and how can I maximize them? I mean, are there any other things that really stick out to colleges?

Also, is there any practical difference to scoring a 2300 vs a 2090 on the SAT? I don't plan to go to any Ivy League schools because I want to double major in Music and another area.
Wait til this guy realizes how little high school actually matters.
Check out my band Disturbed
I do realize that, but a high school record is practically the only thing that counts when applying to college unless you have a (very very) good community service record
Quote by ch1ng_chung
(very very) good community service record

wats that

and why don't you have one?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
well i guess it's a little above average because I have about 230 service hours, but it's not outstanding or anything

by good i mean like someone travelling to flood-devestated New Orleans and helping the people there for an entire month or founding a charity organization that has donated lots (over 10,000 dollars) of money to poor, underprivileged minorities

I have nothing of the sort

One biggie also, I'm ASIAN
Last edited by ch1ng_chung at Oct 5, 2012,
Quote by ch1ng_chung
I do realize that, but a high school record is practically the only thing that counts when applying to college unless you have a (very very) good community service record

It depends on the college. If you want to major in music, they'll want you to be a fine musician, and marching band isn't exactly indicative of that..

One biggie also, I'm ASIAN so its gonna be harder for me than some other races

Least surprising statement ever. Live your life a little, kid.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 5, 2012,
Quote by StewieSwan
It depends on the college. If you want to major in music, they'll want you to be a fine musician, and marching band isn't exactly indicative of that..

So what do you recommend? Our school just cancelled the jazz band this year, and only the MB remains. Being in a band? Guitar Center battle of the blues, ect?
Quote by ch1ng_chung
So what do you recommend? Our school just cancelled the jazz band this year, and only the MB remains. Being in a band? Guitar Center battle of the blues, ect?

Specify what you want to major in first. "Music" is still quite broad.
i think jazz with electrical guitar

maybe popular music, but I'm not sure whats the major difference between the two besides the fact that jazz plays more jazz

edit: performance not education
Quote by ch1ng_chung

maybe popular music, but I'm not sure whats the major difference between the two besides the fact that jazz plays more jazz

Do you mean a music performance major?

Quote by ch1ng_chung

Now you're really wasting your time.
All of that effort towards school ... and you're going into music.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Quote by ch1ng_chung

Universities don't do popular music. It's too simple.

Being a jazz guitar performance major shouldn't be too hard to get into, universities take you from the bottom up, especially with music theory. Getting a music scholarship is another matter, you have to audition and prove you have the chops to warrant a scholarship. You'll have to be in ensemble for your major, they will require an audition as well.
I'm assuming you like jazz. Like, a lot. You'll have to listen and play a crap ton of it.

As far as general scholarships go, I'd say your academic and extra-curricular stuff should do you well.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Universities don't do popular music. It's too simple.

Being a jazz guitar performance major shouldn't be too hard to get into, universities take you from the bottom up, especially with music theory. Getting a music scholarship is another matter, you have to audition and prove you have the chops to warrant a scholarship. You'll have to be in ensemble for your major, they will require an audition as well.
I'm assuming you like jazz. Like, a lot. You'll have to listen and play a crap ton of it.

As far as general scholarships go, I'd say your academic and extra-curricular stuff should do you well.

Oh yea, about that. I'm not planning to get a MUSIC scholarship, but a general "academics or something" scholarship, go to college, and double major. This path costs a lot less, and I know that I am almost certainly not getting any music scholarships (I've been playing for only 2 years, but I won't fall behind because I learn faster than most people and have been one out of two guitarists invited to my schools' MBand).

And what exactly is a "popular music major"? What do you learn in that major? 1-4-5 progressions? The science behind syncing the underlying rhythms and beats of the music so they are the most pleasing to the human brain? How to use overtones to create hidden melodies that the listener's subconscious gets "high" off of (like they do in some pop songs)?
Quote by metal4eva_22

nice profile picture
Quote by ch1ng_chung
Oh yea, about that. I'm not planning to get a MUSIC scholarship, but a general "academics or something" scholarship, go to college, and double major. This path costs a lot less, and I know that I am almost certainly not getting any music scholarships (I've been playing for only 2 years, but I won't fall behind because I learn faster than most people and have been one out of two guitarists invited to my schools' MBand).

And what exactly is a "popular music major"? What do you learn in that major? 1-4-5 progressions? The science behind syncing the underlying rhythms and beats of the music so they are the most pleasing to the human brain? How to use overtones to create hidden melodies that the listener's subconscious gets "high" off of (like they do in some pop songs)?

Universities don't offer popular music majors. It's not musically interesting. That stuff you learn by going to LA and getting in the trenches. It's either jazz or classical if you're going to university for music.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
school. yeah, sounds ****ing useless as it mostly is over here.

my advice, rob a bank, kill any witnesses, even any babies, so they don't end up like Dexter.
Semi-Relevant fact: I have a better chance enrolling in university and getting a scholarship if I leave my good school and enroll in a POS shit one, then sit my exams as an external student at my real college, because of how biased the uni is against my school.

So, change schools to one full of islanders, and try not to get stabbed in the face before exams.
Come from the country. Here in Melbourne, you can get paid 6000 a semester (maybe a year) just because you're smart and from the country. I think you can get paid double digits if you're top 1% of Australia and from the country.

NOTE: you get paid but still have HECS
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by ch1ng_chung
One biggie also, I'm ASIAN
I loll'ed. I think Asians do well in University, there is just something about their culture though that makes everyone turn against them though. Asian people here either sit alone or cling to other Asians.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I got 2 scholarships earlier this week because I'm going to an excavation in Brazil. I think you need to have a good purpose with the scholarship, and it helps if you're in a higher education. Doctorate's get tons of scholarship for example... master degree students, not so much in comparison, and it just gets lower the 'lower' you go.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It kind of depends on the scholarship... Talk to the schools you're interested in and see what they have to offer. Look at privately funded scholarships.
idk, I just applied and they gave me a ton of money.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Thrashtastic15
the secret is to just apply for all the scholarships. all of them.

This right here.

Also, initiate/organize/lead a community service project which makes you stand out from the overachieving crowd.
Quote by ch1ng_chung

My GPA is 3.8 unweighted and 4.3 weighted. By the end of this year, the weighted GPA will have gone up to 4.6, judging by my current performance. My SAT is a decent but kinda wobbly 2090 right now, but I'm retaking the test tomorrow and aiming for around a 2300.

I thought GPA was outa 4? So is yours out of 5? 10?
Quote by Ssargentslayer
I thought GPA was outa 4? So is yours out of 5? 10?

Your GPA is all the high school courses you take. 4 = A, 3 = B, ect...

A weighted GPA is out of 5 and out of all high school courses. The difference is that for honors or AP (college level) classes, an A = 5, and B = 4, and so on.

I took several HS courses in middle school and it didn't offer any honors programs so that's why my GPA is just above a 4 right now.

It is a incontrovertible fact that it is impossible to get a WGPA of 5.0, despite what people say. The fact is that high schools require kids to take at least 1 semester of PE and multiple arts/music/extra classes in order to graduate. Those classes don't have honors. There'll never be a college level PE class; that's ridiculous! Therefore, the highest potential WGPA one can attain and graduate is a 4.85, and that's given that he takes all college level classes besides the required remedial courses. Taking into account the sheer amount of stress this puts, I would put the reasonable potential highest GPA at around 4.7.

People say they get 5.0's because they only account for the honors courses. One non-honors course makes it impossible to get a 5 no matter how well you do.
Pro tip: no one cares about your weighted GPA and might not even care about your unweighted GPA. They might be just looking at your GPA across your core classes.

All a GPA over 4 means is that you went to a school that allowed you to take AP classes and did well in them. My high school only had 2 AP classes, and I only graduated with like 12 or 15 credits. I have friends from other schools cross town who started college with 30-40 credits, and I have cousins who are sophomores in high school who have like 4.6ish GPAs and a bunch of college credit already.

Point is, they have to judge everyone on the same scale because some people aren't given the opportunity to get ahead in high school (something which I really resent my high school for).
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ChrisBW
Pro tip: no one cares about your weighted GPA and might not even care about your unweighted GPA. They might be just looking at your GPA across your core classes.

All a GPA over 4 means is that you went to a school that allowed you to take AP classes and did well in them. My high school only had 2 AP classes, and I only graduated with like 12 or 15 credits. I have friends from other schools cross town who started college with 30-40 credits, and I have cousins who are sophomores in high school who have like 4.6ish GPAs and a bunch of college credit already.

Point is, they have to judge everyone on the same scale because some people aren't given the opportunity to get ahead in high school (something which I really resent my high school for).

i dont understand how you can rack up 30-40 college credits in high school. i think that's more ap classes than the collegeboard provides
Quote by ch1ng_chung
i dont understand how you can rack up 30-40 college credits in high school. i think that's more ap classes than the collegeboard provides

I'm not sure if it's what he meant, but I knew a bunch of people who took classes at community college while still in high school. I took two my senior year.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Volunteer. I got beat out on a full tuition scholarship (albeit at a community college) by a friend of mine who was a WAY worse student but had years of volunteer work under her belt.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by WCPhils
I'm not sure if it's what he meant, but I knew a bunch of people who took classes at community college while still in high school. I took two my senior year.

yea but 40? thats like taking 9 college courses each year in HS. Don't think thats entirely possible for the average man
Quote by ch1ng_chung
yea but 40? thats like taking 9 college courses each year in HS. Don't think thats entirely possible for the average man

Between AP classes, dual-credit, and community college, yes it's entirely possible if you go to a school that allows you to start taking AP classes early enough. I think some of the people I know took community college classes over the summer sometimes too.

Really, it's all about knowing that it's possible when you're first starting high school.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by metal4eva_22

I've seen far more tryhard for far less ambition.

Quote by Neo Evil11
I loll'ed. I think Asians do well in University, there is just something about their culture though that makes everyone turn against them though. Asian people here either sit alone or cling to other Asians.

They do about as well as everyone else from what I've seen.

Quote by ch1ng_chung

Each course is typically worth 3-4 credits.

I saw so many people from my high school take AP calculus and chemistry courses, get credit for the first level equivalents in uni then proceed to fail the next level course. Kinda funny actually.
Quote by metal4eva_22

So true.
Quote by Avedas
I've seen far more tryhard for far less ambition.

They do about as well as everyone else from what I've seen.

Each course is typically worth 3-4 credits.

I saw so many people from my high school take AP calculus and chemistry courses, get credit for the first level equivalents in uni then proceed to fail the next level course. Kinda funny actually.

I would say Asians in general have a better work ethic than us "Western" students, but we have learned more how to think critically and think for ourselves.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ