Hello guys,

I would like to start playing guitar (well, I already played guitar, I know chords and scales, and I play bass, so I'm not a total noob) and spotted the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Special as my guitar. I would like to play bluesy-rock so that fits in I think. But, the problem is: I don't have a amp... I would like to have a nice rich, vintage, bluesy sound. My budget is around 100-150 bucks, and I don't care if it's used. A friend of mine uses a Marshall MS-15FX and I find it pretty nice for a entry level amp !

So what would be your bet ?

Thanks !
I'd go with a Peavey Vypyr 30 since it has damn many options and sounds pretty good. And while it's geared more toward metal, the models of the Vox and Fender style amps are pretty good. Go used if you have to, but you could probably get one new for $150 on sale.
Quote by W4RP1G
I'd go with a Peavey Vypyr 30 since it has damn many options and sounds pretty good. And while it's geared more toward metal, the models of the Vox and Fender style amps are pretty good. Go used if you have to, but you could probably get one new for $150 on sale.

+1
Peavey really know their stuff when it comes to making a good amp.
vypyr 30.

any cheaper amp that claims to sound like a better amp (marshall mg's) is going to be a tremendous let down in the long term. a modelling amp will give you massive versatility and usable sounds for minimal dollars. you don't really need more than that
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
I haven't played any of the vyper series, but I'll vouch for peavey. I've had 4 or 5 peavy amps, and I've never had one quit on me!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
Peavey VTM 60
74' Vibro Champ
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley
vox valvetronix, if you ask me. they tend to be better at lower gain tones than the cubes.

some of the small 5 watt tube amps might even be worth a look if you don't need much versatility in the tones you're after- they're one-trick ponies (whereas modellers are much more versatile), but it sounds like that's the trick you want and need (and they do that trick way better than the cheaper modellers do, IMO). Bear in mind, though, they have to be cranked up pretty loud to get distortion- 5 watts tube cranked through a decent speaker is well over 100dB. Some have variable wattage controls, though, and if you can stretch to them, they might be worth considering. Or you could always pick up a cheap-but-decent overdrive or distortion pedal (joyos are pretty good for cheap).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?