http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Archtop/Gibson-Custom/Citation.aspx

Now I always new Gibson guitars were a bit more expensive, but wow, thats the price of my family's car. How is it worth that much, and who would buy it?
Quote by askrere
Why do so many guitarists and drummers come here to ask help for their bass players?? Are we that shy in the wild?

Use bait!

Bass player looks nervous!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
Look at this:

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/savegibson/

Now do you (and everyone) understand wtf is up with gibson's prices?
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
That man is EVIL!
Quote by askrere
Why do so many guitarists and drummers come here to ask help for their bass players?? Are we that shy in the wild?

Use bait!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
man that's a citation.

that's a full body archtop.

those are expensive. all of them.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I know they are expensive, but not that expensive.
Quote by askrere

Use bait!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
They're rare and collectible- that drives up the price. The amount of hand craftsmanship will also drive up price.

OTOH, a new Somogyi starts at $20k for a base model (I've heard them played- yes, they're worth it) with no frills. If you get one with the top featuring a hand-carved & drilled angel, well...

And I was just reading earlier today about some guitars that used to belong to Jerry Garcia. His will stipulated that they be returned to the luthier who made them for him. That luthier auctioned them off- one went for $750k+, and the other went for $900k+.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
what is the price of the Gibson?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Thats still really expensive.
Quote by askrere

Use bait!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
what is the price of the Gibson?

I saw one recently for just around $19,500.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

If I had $1,000,000, I would spend the first $20,000 on that just to play Smoke on the Water.
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Ah, but would you finish with the Pete Townshend treatment?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ah, but would you finish with the Pete Townshend treatment?

Yes.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
On there Website it say $33,000
Quote by askrere

Use bait!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
Quote by Juared
Yes.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Ah! Townshend AND Hendrix!

Quote by Bass Beast

it will retail for like 15-20k.

that's standard for an archtop.

that's not an electric guitar. It has to be built to be acoustically viable.

have you seen the prices for high end acoustic guitars?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Bass Beast

The one I saw was used.

Look at the spec sheet- lots of silver plate, gold plate and gold, plus loads of hand engraving, and that's before it had the designation of being in honor of Earl Scruggs...

"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
They're so expensive because they're extremely collectible and very rare.

They're also considered by some as the holy grail of hollow archtops.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 6, 2012,
Quote by Maximus_2005

The sloth is definitely the most naturally smug of all animals.
The Gibson list on that guitar is $33,000.

Has anyone ever paid anywhere near the Gibson or Epiphone list price for any of their guitars new?

I paid around half the Gibson listed price for my last Les Paul and I am pretty sure it is the same for all of their products.
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
suggested list for a lot is incredibly stupid. i dont know why they do that. it makes no sense. list on my Ovation Adamas thru website had it at $5,300 !!! retail was considerably less ($3400). i understand well that things like guitars are considered "luxury items" and people will pay premium for them( because theoretically we are using our "disposable income") but, why not just put the price at a more realistic retail value?
Oh no, not a GUITAR that is almost the same price as ANY OTHER PROFESSIONAL INSTRUMENT EVER!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
why not just put the price at a more realistic retail value?

Marketing, my dear boy, marketing.

Make no mistake, those MSRPs are paid by a certain few, a certain impatient few, who must have THAT thing, NOW, regardless of price. The rest of us wait for price drops & sales and such.

And that high MSRP gives retailers the room to offer discounts as a way to entice you through the door and by from them, not the other guy. And those discounts may vary from customer to customer. I guarantee you that the guy who shops in a store regularly gets a bigger discount on average than does the guy who shopped in there once or twice in a decade.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 6, 2012,