GuitarNewbee
3,693 IQ
I want to sell my first amp which is a solid state amp, and buy a new one but a tube amp instead, i was wondering if there are any good quality tube amps that cost 3oo dollars or less, and since ive never used a tube amp, i have a couple questions, Do you have to change the tubes? If you do have to change the tubes how much do they cost?...Im looking for a tube amps that can work for anything from Aersosmith, Guns n roses, AC/DC and black Sabeth all the way to harder stuff like Bullet for my valentine and Bring me the horizon.
Gear: Ibanez Rg3exfm1
Amp:Line 6 spider iv 15 watt
Condition: New
Genre of Music: Aersosmith, Guns n roses, AC/DC and black Sabeth all the way to harder stuff like Bullet for my valentine and Bring me the horizon.

For home use, i dont gig.

20 watts or as much as you can fit in for 300 dollars.
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Oct 6, 2012,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Used Peavey Vyper Tube 60
Used Bugera 6260/333
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
George Juggles
Tab Contributor
1,309 IQ
for home use, a 5 watt amp could work.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
GuitarNewbee
3,693 IQ
are watts for tube amps louder than watts for solid state amps? for example are 5 watt tube amps like 15 watt solid state amps or why do people say there so loud?
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Definitely Vypyr Tube.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
George Juggles
Tab Contributor
1,309 IQ
I don't know the exact difference, but tubes are considerably louder than solid state.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by George Juggles
I don't know the exact difference, but tubes are considerably louder than solid state.

Nope, a watt is a watt, all other things being equal.

The confusion comes in the fact that seldom ARE all things equal.

Speaker efficiency, actual power output, number of speakers etc. all play a part.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
d.c.guitar
ESP Love!
746 IQ
Crate Blue Voodoo, you can find a nice used one for about $200 - $250 on Craigslist. I have one which I don't play as much anymore since I got my Egnater, but I still love it and will not get rid of it. It has a really nice Raw Rock tone. I used to use it in my 80's rock band. I highly recommend you try one out, specially the older models that have blue tolex and the old gold crate logo.
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
BigHeadClan
Mistro
339 IQ
Tube amps are generally louder than their solid state counterparts.

OT: If you want a budget tube amp go with the vyper tube 60. I've had mine for a year and a bit and love the hell out of it, if you want to play some heavier stuff then you will want to invest in a noise suppressor down the road.

That said it's very versatile and can do pretty much anything fairly well.
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
If the modern metal stuff is important to you then you don't want a 5 watter. If classic rock and such are your main focus then you might like a 5 watter.

As it stands, the vypyr tube 60 used or the vypyr 30 (which isn't tube) is probably your best bet if you have to have all those tones. Keep in mind, the tube 60 isn't all tube, the preamp is SS and the effects are digital (though you don't have to use them).
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run
2,898 IQ
The Fender Vibrochamp XD (5 watts, 1 channel) is a decent home amp that covers a lot of musical territory and can be found used for around $200-$250 pretty easily. You could probably find the Superchamp (15 watts, 2 channels) for $300 if you wanted the extra channels/wattage.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Volume differences are mainly down to how the amps are rated. Tube amps are rated as the theoretical power before clipping and you can run a tube amp quite a long way into clipping before they sound bad. The power rating on most SS amps seems to be the first number that popped into some marketing douche's head. In short the power rating on an amp is not the true power that the amp can produce; tube amps are normally underrated and SS amps tend to be overrated.
It's not that a 5W tube amp is louder than a 5W SS amp; they aren't both 5W amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Volcz
VCA '18
2,428 IQ
Why not go for Blackstar HT-5 instead of a modelling amp? It's the obvious answer to me.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
Quote by Volcz
Why not go for Blackstar HT-5 instead of a modelling amp? It's the obvious answer to me.

imo, the Vypyr tube is far more versatile, better distortion, and is cheaper (I think?) also, the HT-5 will barely keep up in a gig situation. the Vypyr 60 could *theoretically* do a stadium. or a bedroom.

Cath, think of all the money those marketing douches make. Makes you wanna market douches doesn't it?
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by d.c.guitar
Crate Blue Voodoo, you can find a nice used one for about $200 - $250 on Craigslist. I have one which I don't play as much anymore since I got my Egnater, but I still love it and will not get rid of it. It has a really nice Raw Rock tone. I used to use it in my 80's rock band. I highly recommend you try one out, specially the older models that have blue tolex and the old gold crate logo.

x2
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Pimps make a lot of money too, I aint doing that either.

A Vyper Tube is 10x the amp that a HT-5 is. The Vyper will make a fine gigging amp (power amp straight out of a 6505) but will also sound great turned down to TV volumes. The only thing the HT-5 has over the Vyper 60 is that it's physically smaller but a Vyper 60 isn't that big either. If you don't have room for a Vyper you need to move out of the rabbit hatch and into a house. It's no contest really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Volcz
VCA '18
2,428 IQ
Personally I prefer the HT-5's distortion.. but that's just me. I've never been a fan of the Peavey Vypyr series, I've played them numerous times and they don't cut it IMO.

I also said the HT-5 since he said he wouldn't be gigging, and assumed when he said "not gigging" that he's just a casual home player and will never take it out of his room.

Plus it'll handle
"Aersosmith, Guns n roses, AC/DC and black Sabeth all the way to harder stuff like Bullet for my valentine and Bring me the horizon."

Once more, just my opinion.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Thebedroommusic
12 IQ
Hi there,

My personal recomendation is

I think this is a very good beginner amp. It goes from nice clean to high-gain. Ok, it's hard to play some core styles (althow I never tested it with dropped tunings and extremely hot pickups, maybe will also sound good).

But this amp is very good for practicing, using WATTS knob you can play preety silent in the bedroom. Nice tone at TV set volume. It also has 2 channels. Very versatile amp.

You can listen to my soundexample. I have a head version of it.

http://soundcloud.com/thebedroommusician/vht-squire-classic-vibe-50s

The tubes. Yes, you have to change it. The tube costs roughly 10$, maybe you can get something cheaper on e-bay. The good thing is this amp is build with self-biased schematics, which means you easely replace tube with no adjustment. Single end adesign also means you don't have to worry about matched pair tubes.

Ah yeah, the tube driven effects loop. This is a very nice feature. I use this with my

I connect this to effects loop. So I can use pure tube overdrive and use M9 for delays, reverbs and modulations without sacrificing the tube tone.

I actually think now of buying the second one to use stereoeffects.

Regarding Blackheart models. I tested those in the shop. To my taste they sound plastic. I don't feel the same punch as from my VHT. But ok, "like" and "dislike" talking about sound is very subjective.

Hope I could help you with my advice.

Cheerzzz!
Last edited by Thebedroommusic at Oct 7, 2012,
woad_yurt
959 IQ
I have one of these, love it, and cannot figure why no one jumps on these. They are truly Fender's ignored stepchild. 25 watts, 2 6L6GCs, master volume, clean and gain channels, headphone jack, reverb, effects loop, no biasing needed, etc, etc, etc. It does have a SS preamp, which everyone says it's a no-no, but they seem to like 'em ok in old MusicMan amps.

If you fiddle with the gain, master volume, etc, you can play very well at low, low volumes. It'll do band volumes too, easy.

Anyway, here's an available one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-CHAMP-25-SE-0827-108021726-i2704611.gc

Last edited by woad_yurt at Oct 7, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
The Vyper Tube doesn't need rebiasing if you replace the tubes either. Once you start getting into small amps (<30W) the majority of those don't either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
FenrirFangs
254 IQ
Why do you need to get a tube amp? There are a bunch of awesome solid-state amps you could use for bedroom practicing. But if it has to be tube and under $300, really your safest bet is, as people have said, a Vyper.
kutless999
1,514 IQ
You can find a used classic 30 for that price.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
VJVswan
plays in B#
337 IQ
I recommend the Blackstar HT-1 for you. First off, it's within your budget. I believe the Vypyr is a little over $400, whereas this one is $250. Since you say it's going to be solely for the bedroom, a 1 watt tube amp will fit you nicely. I used to have the same amp you currently have and I don't know about you but I would never turn the volume knob past 9 o' clock while practicing. With this 1-watt amp, you will be forced to turn the volume knob higher, thus allowing you to get a much more rich overdriven sound. If you didn't know, tube amps get most of their distortion when they're pushed hard past the limits of their tubes. So basically a 1 watt Blackstar with its volume turned up will sound much better than a 60 watt Peavey with its volume turned down.

Here's a link:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT-1-1W-1x8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-H74090-i1894305.gc
"We're musicians. We make music for a living. It's that simple. Nothing else matters."
-Eddie Van Halen
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
Blackstar HT series have an SS preamp. it won't sound that good and bedroom volume usually dictates quietness - something the HT-1 won't offer with your suggested settings.

the Vypyr Tube is around $300 used. he is willing to go used. as it has an SS preamp as well it'll sound just the same at quieter volumes and is loud enough to jam with a drummer if TS ever needs to.

Btw, "most of the distortion" does not necesarily come from the power amp section as you implied, it comes from the preamp. a cranked JTM45 will have most of its gain from the power amp - however an HT-1 will not. cranking it will sound the same as it will at a lower volume essentially, maybe a little richer.

I will never recommend an amp solely for the bedroom, unless we're talking apartment, no time to jam, recording stuff situation. TS isn't, he stated that right now he's a bedroom player. If two months maybe he won't be and the HT-1 won't cut it for band practice.

If I may ask, what's your experience with the Vypyr Tube?