Page 1 of 2
Hello. I'm going to upgrade from a Line 6 30w amp to a Marshall JVM 410H with a 1960A cab. I looked them up on guitar center and there seems to be two different kinds. One is priced at $3,135. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM410H-and-1960A-Half-Stack-430976-i1557400.gc The other is priced at $2,699. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM410H-and-1960A-or-1960B-Tube-Guitar-Half-Stack-481485-i1370279.gc So I'm wondering what's the difference between these two?
wow dude, quite the upgrade. although I think that there are much better amps in the price range, are you dead set on the JVM?

also I believe one is cheaper because it doesn't have built in reverb.
Yeah it is. I've had this 30w for quite some time just practicing techniques, and I don't like the tone of it at all. I'm leaning toward the JVM, because I wanted a amp with good cleans and good distortion. I was deciding on a JCM but those are mainly good with distortion and need to be cranked up pretty high. I'm open to suggestions if you have any.

So it's just the reverb huh. I was wondering why it also calls one a tubed amp and not the other? Aren't all JVM's tubed?
That's a lot of money to drop on your first tube amp. You should do some research there's sooo many nice amps out there in your price range that will cover what you want and more, and do it better than the JVM.
In that range you should get a Mesa of some sort, IMO they all blow the JVM out of the water.

It is a lot of money to drop, maybe lower it by $1500 and get a really good guitar as well. What style of music do you play?

Threads like these are fun, with a high budget
I'll look into Mesa right now. Money is no issue I can go as high as $2,000 to $3,000.

I got a great guitar almost two years ago. I had a fake Stratocaster look-a-like and I gave it to my friend. Upgraded to a Ibanez Xiphos. So I see no need to upgrade my guitar again when I can upgrade my amp.

I play mostly metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth.
A small amount of hard rock, like Guns N' Roses and Classical.
I'd take an Uberschall over a road king any day.

and that is not because I am purely a Jerry Cantrell fanboy

Is there a way you could try any of these out, TS?
Just different flavors. From what I've heard the Uberschall has a really kickass high end grind, which might not be ideal for classic metal like the bands he mentioned.

And I'd take a Road King over nearly any amp ever, for it is the king of all amps.

Try them out if you can, TS. Especially for an investment this big.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Damn so many suggestions. I've heard great things of the Mesa Boogie, but would you say the cleans are good on this amp?

I could go to my local Guitar Center and try them out tomorrow. I'm going to try out the Mesa, and the Ubershall if they have them.
The cleans on the mark V are the best. Plenty of options, three different types of cleans.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
You really can't go wrong with a MkV, Road King, or Uberschall. It just depends on which flavor is just right for you.

But, to plug the Road King more, you can send your cleans to a separate cabinet than your gain if, say, a Mesa 412 with V30s doesn't cut it for your cleans.

Try em' out though.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
^+1. with that kinda budget i'd def wanna be playing before i buy.

why has no one mentioned a CEC? 3K can get you an incredible amp made by craig, the brigand is amazing. unfortunately you won't be able to try one of those unless you go to Nashville. that amp blew me away though
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
why has no one mentioned a CEC? 3K can get you an incredible amp made by craig, the brigand is amazing. unfortunately you won't be able to try one of those unless you go to Nashville. that amp blew me away though

+1

Retitle this thread to "Mitch's Dream Amps"
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by gumbilicious
^+1. with that kinda budget i'd def wanna be playing before i buy.

Oh really?

You failed to mention it made one of the users here on this forum turn his Diezel into a table.

Also mkV is great and all but isn't right for the TS. Its very flexible but more of a modern voiced amp. Also a bitch to dial in so I wouldn't recommend it for someones first tube amp.

I do love mine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 6, 2012,
Quote by R45VT
Oh really?

You failed to mention it made one of the users here on this forum turn his Diezel into a table.

matt does have a very nice coffee table now though.

seriously though, i couldn't think of an amp in that price i'd prefer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9TFFp-xrJk

i swear i am gonna make some clips that actually do this amp justice when i get mine.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CWnIG16JkE

that clip has much better sound quality

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 7, 2012,
Get a Brigand. Not only will you have a brilliant amp with some truly original ideas you will have something that nobody else will have. That's always a good thing. The word boutique gets thrown around a lot these days but a CEC is a truly boutique amp built using nothing but the best components by a guy whose skills make me weep with envy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Get a Brigand. Not only will you have a brilliant amp with some truly original ideas you will have something that nobody else will have. That's always a good thing. The word boutique gets thrown around a lot these days but a CEC is a truly boutique amp built using nothing but the best components by a guy whose skills make me weep with envy.

+1

seriously, you won't find a production amp made the way craig makes that amp. the circuit is designed and every component chose for incredible effect. there is nothing in the design of that amp that compromises quality. he gets custom wound transformers, runs 3 or 4 different styles of tubes, and even runs some NOS parts that aren't readily available because he won't compromise the vision. his platform is not a renovation of an old popular amp, his circuits are original and tweaked to demanding standards.

/promotional

-ae
Matt said I could play his Brigand. I might take him up on that, and use the Diezel as a stool
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
You know an amp is good when it makes you look at a VH4 as a potential coffee table.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
When I picked up that cab he told me to call him if I wanted to play the Brigand. I told him I wanted to play the Diezel and I think he took offense
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by deathmagnetic7
Hello. I'm going to upgrade from a Line 6 30w amp to a Marshall JVM 410H with a 1960A cab. I looked them up on guitar center and there seems to be two different kinds. One is priced at $3,135. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM410H-and-1960A-Half-Stack-430976-i1557400.gc The other is priced at $2,699. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM410H-and-1960A-or-1960B-Tube-Guitar-Half-Stack-481485-i1370279.gc So I'm wondering what's the difference between these two?

Don't get a JVM! I love mine to death, but I live in europe so I got it for 800 euros. There are much, much better options for that kind of money.
WTLTL 2011
I see that everyone (which is typical on UG) has recommended something else to the TS.

I say try some other options, but don't rule out the JVM. The JVM is one amp I've tried that really had a distinct tone from many of the others I've tried. They really can sound brutal for the types of music you play, but yet different from the usual Mesa and Peavey tones. Plus JVMs have a fantastic variety of other tones. You really get a lot for your money, albeit it's a lot of money.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^ unless you find it used, the JVM isn't really that great an option. the high gain gets muddy and unfocused (does it have pentode/triode, or an SS rectifier?), lower gain is decent, although there are med. gain amps out there with far better tone for half the price. the clean channel is a clean channel as there's nothing special about it. Plus I hate all those damn knobs,
There are used Framus Dragons for $1000 on GC's used site. I'd get one of those way faster than a JVM.
I actualy played with a guy who had a JVM210h, an I thought it was pretty mediocre at best.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay so my Guitar Center has no Mark V, or Uberschall. So I have no way to actually play them.

Looked some up online and found that Mark V are usually sold with just the heads. So what cabs would go well with it? I'm starting to lean toward the Mark V, but I've heard it's complicated to get a tone out of unless your a wizard at it.

So I either want a Mark V, that'll come out to $2,000 for just the head and hunt down the cab, or I could get a half stack JVM for $2,600. Uberschall are rare and more expensive tham Mark V. That'll leave me with a head only and no cab.

Damn it's hard.
I own a mark V and it's great and all but its probably not the amp for you with the bands you listed. It has great cleans and the best overdrive/crunch channel around but channel three is voiced for modern metal/progressive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
I own a mark V and it's great and all but its probably not the amp for you with the bands you listed. It has great cleans and the best overdrive/crunch channel around but channel three is voiced for modern metal/progressive.

Really? I don't play no form of modern metal whatsoever. I'm more into the old Thrash/NWOBHM tone. So that'll probably be a setting I may never even use. Would you say the cleans of the JVM are on par with the Mark V?
Quote by ihartfood
but please, don't get it.

He should at least play it. Just to test the waters. It might be right for him.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
i played a JVM in the store, i was pretty underwhelmed. all those settings and channels and many of them didn't sound good to me at all. i have been holding my tongue because my opinion by no means is absolute.

jeez, i guess the price of that amp finally hit me. that is hard to believe it costs that much. i guess you pay for all the channels

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i played a JVM in the store, i was pretty underwhelmed. all those settings and channels and many of them didn't sound good to me at all. i have been holding my tongue because my opinion by no means is absolute.

jeez, i guess the price of that amp finally hit me. that is hard to believe it costs that much. i guess you pay for all the channels

It is mostly import taxes. Like I said, I got mine modded for 800 euros. We get raped on Mesa instead.
WTLTL 2011
Okay after researching more into the JVM, Mark V, and Uberschall I've discovered a even better amp than the JVM. The YJM. My GC has none of these amps so I have to rely on YouTube videos (I know it's not the same as playing them).

I'm now deciding on the YJM (I've always enjoyed Yngwie's tone) and I discovered cheap ones on ebay going for as low as $1,800.
What's your guitar? What cab are you getting with it?
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
What's your guitar? What cab are you getting with it?

Ibanez Xiphos. I'm getting a 1960a cab with G12T75s.
Page 1 of 2