I've just replaced my 1x12 Marshall Valvestate with an old Peavey Classic 2x12. If I mic just one speaker will I miss any of the actual sound and tone coming from the amp? Is there any known good technique I could/should use?
Simple answer - No.

You get more speakers to increase projection, it's more to do with live situations.

Unless you've got 2 differing speakers, then you will be missing tone.
Silverburst
Even if you aren't getting a different tonal character, I'm usually putting 2 mics on a cab anyway,and it's a bit easier to just stick one on each cone rather than trying to cluster them when you have a single speaker.
Unless they are different speakers, no.

Find the one that sounds best to you and then use that one. Even if you plan on using two different mics in different positions on the cone, you should really be micing the SAME speaker, because you can run into some weird phasing issues if you're not careful - Obviously, you still can using one speaker, but it's much easier to get it wrong with two.

In short, no - You don't need to mic both.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Even on 4 x 12's people only mic one speaker.

What IS quite common though is to try all of the available speakers and choosing the one that sounds best. One speaker is almost always a little better then the other(s).
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Unless they are different speakers, no.

Find the one that sounds best to you and then use that one. Even if you plan on using two different mics in different positions on the cone, you should really be micing the SAME speaker, because you can run into some weird phasing issues if you're not careful - Obviously, you still can using one speaker, but it's much easier to get it wrong with two.

In short, no - You don't need to mic both.

Phasing: natures EQ
Quote by chronowarp
Phasing: natures EQ

I guess if a hollow tone is what you're goin for
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I guess if a hollow tone is what you're goin for

There are tons of ways to affect the phase without it sounding "hollow".

There are plenty of out of phase sounds that end up functioning more effectively in a mix than a totally in phase signal...just another option. It's funny you'd say that when tons of highly esteemed audio engineers use phasing as an effect and EQ device...
It's not too hard to cancel out with a good ear and different mic placement, I use two Eminence Redcoat Governors and 2 V30s in my 4x12.

EDIT: And I mic one of each, then I use an ambient mic about a metre and a half away.
Silverburst
Last edited by Insanity ninja at Oct 8, 2012,