TheAce93
Iceman Aficionado
76 IQ
Hello guitar-dudes,

I am a complete amateur when it comes to modding guitars (especially ones with trem systems) so I have come here to ask for some advice.

I have an Ibanez Iceman STM1 that came with an Edge III tremolo, which I hear is the worst piece of crap you can have on a guitar, so I want to know what would be a suitable replacement. I bought the guitar second hand and I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but already I'm starting to notice tuning stability problems that shouldn't be present.

Basically, I only have the guitar tuned to E standard, I tune it up, lock the nuts, and then make sure it's fully in tune with the fine-tuners on the bridge. I play it for a while, and check the tuning after I'm done playing, and everything is slightly flat or sharp. This shouldn't happen when the guitar has a double locking trem right?

TL;DR

What would be a suitable replacement for my crappy Edge III trem? I don't want to sand or drill my guitar at all so it would have to be a straight swap replacement.

Thanks in advance!

Also; here's a link to a photo album so you can have a good look at my awesome new guitar. I had a second volume pot added to separate the controls for each pickup it because having one master volume knob without a killswitch seemed stupid.

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/theace93/Ibanez%20Iceman%20STM1/
TheAce93
Iceman Aficionado
76 IQ
Thanks man, that helped a lot.

Just to confirm, my options are limited to either an Ibanez Edge Pro or an Original Floyd Rose, correct?

Can I get any recommendations on either of these two trem systems?

Thanks.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by TheAce93
Thanks man, that helped a lot.

Just to confirm, my options are limited to either an Ibanez Edge Pro or an Original Floyd Rose, correct?

Can I get any recommendations on either of these two trem systems?

Thanks.

Well, the Original Floyd Rose and the Edge-Pro would be about as good as it gets. I think the biggest complaint with the Edge-Pro was the lack of locking studs, but the Floyd won't have those anyway. Plus you can buy locking studs separately from the Ibanezrules.com. However, buying a new Edge Pro is ridiculously expensive, so you'd have to find a used one, probably on eBay.

As for the Floyd, you can buy a new one and be done with it, or you can try to save money on a used one. The FRT1XXX-2XXX floyds are Korean made, while the originals(I think FRT1XX-2XX-3XX) are Schaller made. BUT, don't get a Schaller Licensed Floyd, it might not fit, it has to be the Floyd Rose Brand. The Korean floyds are pretty good, and I'd use one in a heartbeat if I needed a Floyd and it was a good deal. However, some people don't think they feel as good as an original.

The Floyd Rose Special is Chinese made and has cheaper saddles. It's much cheaper than an OFR, but I think it's the same dimensions, though you'll want to verify that if you plan to buy one. I wouldn't get one though, I'd try to get one of the others, but some people like them. Just doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade from your Edge III, imo.
browns82jk
275 IQ
I use an Edge 3 and have had no tuning problems with it. I have heard that the people that have had tuning problems just have it set up wrong. Play with it for while learn its sweet spots. If you still want to change trems I have heard the Original Floyd will fit in the rout but have never tried it.
TheAce93
Iceman Aficionado
76 IQ
Quote by browns82jk
I use an Edge 3 and have had no tuning problems with it. I have heard that the people that have had tuning problems just have it set up wrong. Play with it for while learn its sweet spots. If you still want to change trems I have heard the Original Floyd will fit in the rout but have never tried it.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to have my guitar professionally set up before swapping the Edge III with a completely different trem system? In fact, as I'm typing this it's actually sounding like a smart thing to do.. and it would mean I wouldn't be stuck with a spare trem system that nobody would want to buy from me!

The tuning problem isn't a major issue, it's just annoying to have to retune each string after playing for a short amount of time.

Oh, and 'Warpig', I have no idea what any of that floyd rose speak means. This is the first guitar I've owned besides my Epiphone Pro FX that has a trem system, so can you translate some of that for me please?

Thanks again dudes.
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips
535 IQ
A lot of the problems people have with the edge 3 is they don't know how to set a floyd up. (Not saying it's a great piece of hardware but doesn't deserve *quite* as much punishment as it gets) A decent setup could make a difference before you spend 200 minimum on a new bridge.

Keep in mind though the knife edges could very well be completely shot on yours and nothing's going to save it.
*insert witty statement here*
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
The "improper setup" that people refer it largely just adjusting the bridge height with full the string tension. You're supposed to loosen the string when adjusting the bridge height because the knife edge sits against the post, so as the post turns it wears down the knife edge and can possibly even cut grooves into the post. If that has happened, you might need to sharpen the knife edge and possibly even replace the posts. A tech might be able to do this for you.

I'll do a point by point breakdown of the afformetioned tremolos.

Original Floyd Rose (FRT-100, FRT-200, FRT-300)

*Made by Schaller

*Made in Germany

*The best Floyd Rose brand Floyd Rose tremolo that you can get

Original Floyd Rose on import models (FRT-1000, FRT-2000, FRT-3000)

*Made in Korea

*Only found on import guitar, so you have to buy used(as far as I know)

*Some claim that it's not as good as the Schaller made OFR, though it supposedly the exact same materials and process

Floyd Rose Special

*Made in China

*Available commercially from some distributers

*Supposedly uses the same material for the base-plate and knife-edge as the others so it should, theoretically, stay in tune just as well

*Zinc saddles instead of the steel used on the others(I believe)

*Zinc sustain block instead of steel

*Some hate it and replace it with an OFR

Floyd Rose catalog: http://www.floydrose.com/pdf/FloydRose_PartsCatalog.pdf

Ibanez Edge-Pro

*Made by Gotoh

*Made in Japan

*First Ibanez Edge trem(and I believe the only one) to not require that the ball-end of the string be cut off. The ball ends sit in little plastic saddles under the trem, but you still have to clamp the string down just like with the Edge III and all other Edge models. I'm not sure why this is at all beneficial

*First Gotoh-made Ibanez trem to not have locking studs(the posts that the knife edge sits against). Also not sure why they did this, but that is the biggest complaint about it. You can buy Lo-Pro locking studs from Ibanezrules.com and use those with it

*Extremely expensive if bought new

Link to IbanezRules.com: http://www.ibanezrules.com/
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 7, 2012,
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar
673 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
The Floyd Rose Special is Chinese made

"The Floyd Rose Special is our Authentic version of a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo system manufactured in Korea exclusively for Floyd Rose."
also mine (FRS, or is it OFRS?) has a S in a circle, logo on the underside of the plate, schaller?

dunno but either way, korean not chinese
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
TheAce93
Iceman Aficionado
76 IQ
What are the differences between an ibanez edge and an OFR then? Is one worth buying over the other?

I mean, my guitar is an ibanez so to me it makes sense to go with the ibanez branded trem. I could be wrong though so any more advice gents?