Page 4 of 7
Quote by theogonia777
I could care less. I could, but it would be very difficult, since I already care so little. I don't think it's worth the effort. Seriously, what a waste of time and effort.

And here you are trolling on a forum every day of your life. Yea not a waste of time at all.

EDIT: I doubt anyone can play it any faster than that.
Quote by Dreadnought
It's like if a guy ran to the top of the mountain and set the speed record for doing it. These same people would be like "oh gosh what's the point of that why don't you race buckets of money to poor people or something, shakemyhead".

Instead of realizing the other implications of such obvious displays of extreme talent.

Sort of. But I don't pick up my guitar just to play as fast as humanly possible. I can't help but compare this to music (as someone has said this isn't supposed to sound good), because for shit's sake you're playing a instrument.
I can appreciate the talent, really I can. But as I said I don't go to my guitar to play as fast as I can. This thread is like creativity vs technicality
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Quote by Funky_Fresh91
Sort of. But I don't pick up my guitar just to play as fast as humanly possible. I can't help but compare this to music (as someone has said this isn't supposed to sound good), because for shit's sake you're playing a instrument.
I can appreciate the talent, really I can. But as I said I don't go to my guitar to play as fast as I can. This thread is like creativity vs technicality

This thread isn't about you or your super cool emotional bends in your shitty blues solos.

ITT: Jealousy
Quote by )v(egaFan90
Until people realize your guitar playing actually sounds like the buzzing of a bumblebee in flight and not something worth listening to.

Yes, because being able to play this quickly means that everything you're going to play will be at 1300 bpm, right?

If he had enough dedication to work up to that point on picking alone, I'd be willing to bet his playing isn't completely one-dimensional. The fact that he played something fast (that's very obviously for nothing other than being fast) says absolutely nothing about his ability to play "something worth listening to" however you define it.
Quote by theogonia777
It's like if I set the record for the largest painting ever, but the entire canvas is colored the same shade of blue. What's the point? No matter how big it is, it's just all blue. Wouldn't it be more fun and worthwhile to paint a nice picture instead?

Who are you to judge what's "more worthwhile"?

Grats TS, ignore a large portion of the people in this thread.
Quote by Funky_Fresh91

No it's not, not at all. It's a bunch of people immediately assuming that because he's been disciplined about his practice he can't play music, which is a really sensible and intelligent conclusion, right?
Last edited by :-D at Oct 8, 2012,
Personally. I didn't care to much for it.
But I do admire you for setting a goal and reaching it.

Congrats.

And screw all these assholes for giving you shit because you did something they lack either the talent or drive to do so themselves.
Quote by :-D

No it's not, not at all. It's a bunch of people immediately assuming that because he's been disciplined about his practice he can't play music, which is a really sensible and intelligent conclusion, right?

I certainly hope people aren't assuming that, and I don't think they are. They just don't care for this. I appreciate the determination myself, but can see why people wouldn't. Not that they should be asshats about it
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Quote by Dreadnought
IN THE WORLD.

Are you better than everyone else in the world at something? Nope.

This dude's accomplished as shit. And you're just another hater douchebag.

He could be the best Pacman player in the world and I bet you wouldn't be saying he had accomplished anything.

He's right: This might be technically amazing, that it's humanly possible to play anything that fast, but I could say the same thing about the kid who plays Tetris really fast. It's special, sure, but it's not interesting to most people.
The video seems absolutely sketchy towards the end. Everything was moving unnaturally fast, but I guess it could be just me tripping hard.

In the event that I'm wrong, congratulations TS and major props to you for doing it for charity.
Quote by SuperShredderDa
rather not. especially for someone with your profile name

Stopped reading here....

You should respect the horsedick just like your mother did!
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
kudos to the fast playing. that's quite an accomplishment.

although I'm more of an emotional player (I want the guitar itself to sing) than a speed player. :3
Quote by niejel
kudos to the fast playing. that's quite an accomplishment.

although I'm more of an emotional player (I want the guitar itself to sing) than a speed player. :3

OHMIGOD I PLAY WITH EMOSHUNS!

Shut up. Speed and "emotion" are two completely unconnected things. One is technique based, the other is the biggest load of bollocks because EVERYBODY gets some form of emotion out of playing or listening.
That really sounds great when you play so fast!
I mean come on who thinks that sounds good? It's horrible.
Quote by CoreysMonster
He could be the best Pacman player in the world and I bet you wouldn't be saying he had accomplished anything.

He's right: This might be technically amazing, that it's humanly possible to play anything that fast, but I could say the same thing about the kid who plays Tetris really fast. It's special, sure, but it's not interesting to most people.

Why would people bother putting energy into something that dosn't interest them? If you don't like click the back arrow on your browser. Quite a few no life having ****ing losers on this site tbh.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Is there any way to write music at speeds above 300 BPM that sound good? If there already are pieces then I'd love to hear them.

There are literally thousands of bluegrass and jazz tunes over 300. There are even plenty over 400, though I do not listen to much modern jazz or newgrass, so I would be hard pressed to name any.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by SuperShredderDa
for the first responders of 9/11 for cancer treatment funds

Not to be mean but... couldn't you have just arranged a real show with real music instead of sports? Or if you wanted sports you could have had a chairty dodgeball tournament. That would have been a good idea.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Dreadnought
IN THE WORLD.

And good on you TS. Speed was the thing, not tone or the actual song. Those bringing other irrelevant things into the discussion are jealous.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Hang on now, Hang on.

Do people actually think this is real? Really?
IF there is anything thatw as actually played to speed it as the 170bpm, but to
be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that that isn't sped up also.

Surely the pit isn't this retarded?
Quote by Random3
That is not physically possible. If that was real, they would be playing 86 notes every second which is beyond absurd.

Come on man, don't ruin TS's fun..... Let him enjoy this while people still give a little tiny fuck....
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by shmeegle
Hang on now, Hang on.

wel obvsly is rel cuz he hs Z7 witniz sin san i tws rel
Impressive? I guess?

Good for you and good for the people that are defending it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by theogonia777
wel obvsly is rel cuz he hs Z7 witniz sin san i tws rel

z7O witnez? woh, dis gi is lejit.
Quote by Random3
That is not physically possible. If that was real, they would be playing 86 notes every second which is beyond absurd.

Yep, or alternate picking 21.7 notes per second, while hammering-on/pulling-off three more notes per second between each picked note.

Even ignoring the picking hand, it's still... unlikely... anyone could move their fingers on their left hand fast enough for each finger to hit the fretboard 21.7 times a second.

But, I tried pointing out issues with the validity of this record earlier and was met with criticism because apparently seeing the flaws in this 'record' make someone jealous. Truth be told, if he genuinely was playing it faster than anyone else in the world I AM happy to congratulate him, but I very much doubt anyone can play it even close to the quoted speed with any reasonable accuracy. Wasn't meant to be a knock at TS, but I tried saying so earlier and was met with butthurt by some people here.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Well that sounded fuqing awful. Sure it's technically impressive.

But this is the apex of the guitar nerd who forgets that the main role of their guitar is to MAKE MUSIC!

Not to sound like a Robot farting.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
(Most) of you guys are ****ing retarded. He didn't say "LOOK AT MY SONG ITS THE BEST"

He said look at me playing faster than you ever could. And so far, he's right (I don't see any vids of people playing faster)

You've made assumptions of all of his musical abilities - like being able to play with "EMOSHUNS", tastefully etc - based off of one single video where he basically said "Only judge me for my speed in this video - nothin more."

I know a lot of you were trolling, but even more of you weren't. And that's kinda sad.
</post>
Lol too many jealous people here. Obviously he set himself the target to play the piece this fast, and he reached it- so for that, congrats. I'm sure he didn't care about things other than speed in this instance. I'm not sure if TS is lying, but if he is, whatever.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
OHMIGOD I PLAY WITH EMOSHUNS!

Shut up. Speed and "emotion" are two completely unconnected things. One is technique based, the other is the biggest load of bollocks because EVERYBODY gets some form of emotion out of playing or listening.

no. YOU SHUT UP.

They are completely unconnected things. Ever heard a guitar solo that can make you cry? Or one that tells a story? A solo that has a structure that it can be listened to alone instead of pure speedy arpeggios.

And you had it wrong. I was saying creating solos with a good note order, picking every note so that it will create a good melody instead of focusing on speed.

Also, if TS is lying, well, it's his ego trying to feed himself so, good luck on that.
Last edited by niejel at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by niejel
no. YOU SHUT UP.

They are completely unconnected things. Ever heard a guitar solo that can make you cry? Or one that tells a story? A solo that has a structure that it can be listened to alone instead of pure speedy arpeggios.

And you had it wrong. I was saying creating solos with a good note order, picking every note so that it will create a good melody instead of focusing on speed.

Also, if TS is lying, well, it's his ego trying to feed himself so, good luck on that.

The way you phrased it ("although I'm more of an emotional player") made you come across as really condescending, implying that the person who plays fast doesn't or can't "play with emotion," or plays with less. How do you quantify and measure emotion anyway? Speed and use of tempo- any tempo- is purely a technique. The culmination of techniques is what creates a musical idea. What emotion that invokes is purely down to the individual listening to the piece. The solo in One by Metallica- it consists mainly of fast pentatonics. No real melody to it, but I find it fits the song very well, because I find it in keeping with the state of mind of the song's character. Others will disagree and just call it boring and fast, in the same way I find a lot of Gilmour's stuff boring as hell.

In short, the whole 'playing with/without emotion' thing is rubbish, because you will ALWAYS get something out of anything. Far too many people get hung up on this emotion thing, and it cuts them off from learning how to play faster, thereby improving their skillset (as true speed is a byproduct of accuracy), or from at least trying to listen to some great music. It's a shame.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

In short, the whole 'playing with/without emotion' thing is rubbish, because you will ALWAYS get something out of anything. Far too many people get hung up on this emotion thing, and it cuts them off from learning how to play faster, thereby improving their skillset (as true speed is a byproduct of accuracy), or from at least trying to listen to some great music. It's a shame.

And people don't do the opposite? Fixate on speed and not the musicality? You could argue the thing both ways, it'll always be tired bluesman versus teen basement shred star at the end of the day.

People just don't like it when something is different.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
What a pointless waste of time. To think, you could have spent all that time making music.

What possessed to you to do this? Guitars are instruments, not treadmills.
THE GOAL IS SIMPLY ABOUT PLAYING FAST.
NOT EMOTION. OR MUSICALITY.

Jesus christ, some of you need to take the stick out of your ass. It even says in the video that this is just for speed and nothing else, I personally don't really give a shit in the end, or about it musicaly, I'm not watching "worlds fastest guitar player", to look for emotional playing. Yeah it sounds horrible to me, but guess what? He's ****ing faster than everyone. I'm cool with that, I don't see why so many people are being babies about this, that was his goal.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Oct 8, 2012,
So much hate. Aren't most world records pointless, but fun? I can't stand UG's collective boner for shitting on anyone who's actually good at something.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yep, or alternate picking 21.7 notes per second, while hammering-on/pulling-off three more notes per second between each picked note.

Even ignoring the picking hand, it's still... unlikely... anyone could move their fingers on their left hand fast enough for each finger to hit the fretboard 21.7 times a second.

But, I tried pointing out issues with the validity of this record earlier and was met with criticism because apparently seeing the flaws in this 'record' make someone jealous. Truth be told, if he genuinely was playing it faster than anyone else in the world I AM happy to congratulate him, but I very much doubt anyone can play it even close to the quoted speed with any reasonable accuracy. Wasn't meant to be a knock at TS, but I tried saying so earlier and was met with butthurt by some people here.

This, too. I'm completely unconvinced that the human body is even capable of such a thing.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 8, 2012,
I don't understand why I have to like everything. I'm not impressed. But I'm supposed to be because I can't do that so I'm obviously jealous when I don't like it? That's just as bullshit as the "ugh I'm not playing with emotion" argument.

People these days. So intolerant.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Nobody is saying you have to like it, if you don't like it because you just don't. Well cool then.
It's the people saying the typical, HERP DERP NO EMOTION, JUST SPEED, SOUNDS BAD, Watching a ****ing speed record on guitar.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
The way you phrased it ("although I'm more of an emotional player") made you come across as really condescending, implying that the person who plays fast doesn't or can't "play with emotion," or plays with less. How do you quantify and measure emotion anyway? Speed and use of tempo- any tempo- is purely a technique. The culmination of techniques is what creates a musical idea. What emotion that invokes is purely down to the individual listening to the piece. The solo in One by Metallica- it consists mainly of fast pentatonics. No real melody to it, but I find it [B]fits the song very well, because I find it in keeping with the state of mind of the song's character. Others will disagree and just call it boring and fast, in the same way I find a lot of Gilmour's stuff boring as hell.

this bro.

however . . .

"Far too many people get hung up on this emotion thing, and it cuts them off from learning how to play faster, thereby improving their skillset"

I learnt speed and accuracy first before stumbling upon Petrucci's slow solos, became mesmerized and hell bent on learning how to create such solos.

peace bro.
Last edited by niejel at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by Dreadnought
IN THE WORLD.

Interesting that a military man is so blinded to the idea of functionality.

If, say, he could run through all the modes and scales faster than everone else, and be able to adapt them to whatever he wanted, then yeah, his speed accomplishment would have some weight.

As of now, all he can do is claim the world record for the fastest 'flight of the bumblebee'. While it has potential to turn into something he can utilize, the fact that he can play 'flight of the bumblebee' the fastes has about as much clout as a cheeto eating competition. And there's not a drop of proof that he's 'the best' (definitive statement). There's just no one else who has given it as good an attempt as he did.

I'm not a hater, simply someone who admires function over flare.

Without a doubt, he's good. Far better than I am.

But, I think that time could have been put to better use, rather than playing bumblebee over and over and over.

Quote by shmeegle
Hang on now, Hang on.

This was my first thought, but it seems as though everyone is just gonna go with it.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by Tango616
THE GOAL IS SIMPLY ABOUT PLAYING FAST.
NOT EMOTION. OR MUSICALITY.

Jesus christ, some of you need to take the stick out of your ass. It even says in the video that this is just for speed and nothing else, I personally don't really give a shit in the end, or about it musicaly, I'm not watching "worlds fastest guitar player", to look for emotional playing. Yeah it sounds horrible to me, but guess what? He's ****ing faster than everyone. I'm cool with that, I don't see why so many people are being babies about this, that was his goal.

Exactly. It's just about fast playing. Nothing more than that.
Quote by StrumThatFender
Exactly. It's just about fast playing. Nothing more than that.

Well that's a pretty ****ing stupid goal then
Quote by beau05
Don't sweat it man. Next time, try and refrain from posting anything that you'd expect to get a reasonable response on in pit in the future.

The pit has always been filled with a bunch of rabid hyenas, as far back as I remember

well then the "pit" is a fitting name haha