AvengedReno
UG's only Cypriot user
461 IQ
I am planning on buying a electric guitar because I can't play the style of music that I would like on my acoustic. I haven't got enough money to get a amp though, so my question is, is it possible to play a solid body electric guitar without an amp until I have enough money to get an amp at christmas
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
It's possible, but quite unsatisfying. You can probably get a Peavey Vypyr 15 used for $50 or less on craigslist.
Demon Wolf
GT's Iron Fisted Leader
1,902 IQ
An electric guitar without an amp is like a sandwich without cheese or a woman without a kitchen.

Incomplete.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
You can, but it still wouldn't give you the sound you want to play the style of music that you would like to play.

Of course, there's another way of doing it.
Instead of spending the money on an electric guitar, why don't you spend the money on a clip-on pickup for your acoustic and an amp?

You'd have a better 'clean' sound than many electric guitars and if you turn the amp up until it distorts, it'll also sound pretty good for more rocky stuff too. Meanwhile, you can be having fun with that while you save up for an electric guitar, which, once you buy it, you can plug straight into the amp that you'd already own.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 8, 2012,
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Yes. It just won't have a lot of volume since there's nothing to amplify the sound coming from the vibrating strings.

You're basically playing a guitar that has no resonating chamber. But you're still playing guitar.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
McTodd
This is a wug
800 IQ
There are some fairly nifty non-amp solutions, depending on what you really want from it. If you're fine just playing with youself (*stifled laughter*) you can get a multi-effect pedal like this one and plug your headphones into it
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
guitarninjaruy
UG Newbie
64 IQ
Get the guitar and practice the style you want to play. Then get the amp later
Lord_Doku
ancient bass
1,984 IQ
Sure, you can play unamplified. Make sure you attach a phonograph's horn to your output jack though, else you won't hear the vintage beauty of the guitar.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by Lord_Doku
Sure, you can play unamplified. Make sure you attach a phonograph's horn to your output jack though, else you won't hear the vintage beauty of the guitar.

slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!
374 IQ
dafuq is a 'electric guitar'?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by slash_GNR666
dafuq is a 'electric guitar'?

It's one of those 'stringed' instruments commonly played by beatnicks that is amplified by means of that newfangled 'electricity' m'lud.
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!
374 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
It's one of those 'stringed' instruments commonly played by beatnicks that is amplified by means of that newfangled 'electricity' m'lud.

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
AvengedReno
UG's only Cypriot user
461 IQ
Quote by guitarninjaruy

wouldn't something like that cost more than a little practice amp? I have got a amp in mind. It's a kustom dart 10fx and it has 3 level eq, gain setting and effects (reverb and delay) clean channel and lead which has distortion. But its €100 and I wont be able to afford it 'till christmas. So is it really that bad to not have a amp for 2 months?
Crazyedd123
Seeking electricity
2,158 IQ
It's possible, but it can mess up your technique because you won't be able to hear unfretted notes ringing out or accidentally holding a note for too long when sweeping due to the lack of amplification.

It's not exactly bad to do, but you may develop bad habits from it.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
Man, I don't understand the people on UG sometimes.

Yes, go for it. Honestly I play my electric unplugged most of the time. Obviously thats not gonna help you all soundwise, but the feel of an electric guitar is much different than an acoustic.

Have you looked into getting a guitar/amp value package? The quality isn't very good, but really you don't start getting good quality for things until you're paying like $1,000 for them anyway. I personally started with a fender starcaster startup kit from Sam's Club of all places, and it served me well for a couple years. I actually still use the guitar, but I think something got messed up with the electronics of mine that actually made it sound better.
joestrat5000
UG's Dragonborn
497 IQ
It'll be fine, just make the sounds of how it would sound through an amp.
Please Call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
You can, but an electric guitar without an amp is like a woman without boobs ass and mouth, It's completely useless.....
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
Quote by adamgur96
You can, but an electric guitar without an amp is like a woman without boobs ass and mouth, It's completely useless.....

Still has a vagina, and no complaints about the mouth.

OT: You might as well, man. You could just get the feel of electrics until you have the cash for an amp.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ali priori / Ali posteriori
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Jesus christ Ali is a nutcase

I actually feel sorry for him, like seriously, get help
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Still has a vagina, and no complaints about the mouth.

I see what you did there....
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ali priori / Ali posteriori
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Jesus christ Ali is a nutcase

I actually feel sorry for him, like seriously, get help
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by guitarninjaruy

This is what I would do.
AeolianSeventh
Sperm Whale Messiah
52 IQ
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
The quality isn't very good, but really you don't start getting good quality for things until you're paying like $1,000 for them anyway.

There are tons (literally, actual thousands of pounds) of quality amps for less than one thousand dollars. Especially if you include used--then, finding a high-quality amp for less than a thousand dollars goes from "easy enough, if you know what to look for" to "trivial."

OT: It's definitely possible, if not super enjoyable. If you know any other people who play guitar, you could try asking around to see if somebody will loan you an amp--most of the guitarists I know (myself included) would be happy to let somebody use a spare amp to practice.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
get yourself an epiphone es175, usable acoustic sound, mellow electric sound, and not too pricey.
vince1991
The pube in your yogurt
84 IQ
why don't you take it to your mother? make her feel guilty that she doesn't support you enough in your musical ambitions. then get a guitar and an amp with the money she'll surely give you.

that's what i did when i was your age
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
I think an electric guitar without an amp is less like a woman missing parts and more like a woman you can't see. Because you can still feel everything, you're just missing that extra sense that lets you know whats really going on.
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
I play my electric unplugged like 90% of the time anyway.

Go for it.

Actually, I lost my guitar cable from like January till July of this year so I didn't play plugged into an amp all that time.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 8, 2012,
AvengedReno
UG's only Cypriot user
461 IQ
thanks for the mixed responses everyone. I think i'm going to go ahead and buy one and just save up to get an am
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
You could always spend 50 bucks and get a USB interface. Then you can plug into your computer
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
RRRone
59 IQ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You could always spend 50 bucks and get a USB interface. Then you can plug into your computer

Or even a cheap converter that fits into a microphone jack.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by RRRone
Or even a cheap converter that fits into a microphone jack.

Yeah that works too.

There's also a few really nice free amp simulators available for download so you don't have to buy Amplitube or the like.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
AvengedReno
UG's only Cypriot user
461 IQ
Quote by vince1991
why don't you take it to your mother? make her feel guilty that she doesn't support you enough in your musical ambitions. then get a guitar and an amp with the money she'll surely give you.

A bit difficult when she only gets €70 euros a week.
CodChick
UG's Cute Canadian :3
122 IQ
I played my bass for a good few months before I got an amp. It's not ideal but you can do it. I did jerry-rig an amp out of my stereo though. Just need an AUX cord and an adapter so it fits in the guitar's socket. You can't get distortion but at least you can hear it louder.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by vince1991

Only ungrateful shits who don't care that their parents have paid for their food, clothes, etc. whine and take things like this to their parents.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
My advice is to save up and buy both at the same time. You want to spend money on a really decent amp. I got my Peavey for 400 bucks, and it's not bad, but it's starting to go out on me after only about 3 years. That's 3 years of sparse usage, as well.

Also, if you have a good amp, the Pit can't tell you that you need a new one.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~