Poll: Do you anchor or not?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you anchor or not?
Yes
89 51%
No
84 49%
Voters: 173.
Page 4 of 5
Quote by blake1221
I'm glad this thread established that anchoring doesn't matter and that Neo Evil11 is still painfully unfunny.

Yep.

Good work boys.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by blake1221
I'm glad this thread established that anchoring doesn't matter and that Neo Evil11 is still painfully unfunny.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yep.

Good work boys.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well jeez man what are you doing wasting your time with a common yokel like me?

Go forth Neo. Some really important dude that really doesn't care for humor is waiting for a laugh. Especially due to how smart your jokes are.

I'm still waiting for mine but a common folk like me'll take forevers to get it right.

I really don't know why I am responding to you. You two are like the most unimportant users on this site.

lol@Blake.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I really don't know why I am responding to you. You two are like the most unimportant users on this site.

lol@Blake.

Me either, I was doing perfectly fine before you tried to tell everybody you're funny. At least I know I'm not funny and people hate me around here
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Neo Evil11

lol@Blake.

awww how cute you think your important
Quote by Neo Evil11

lol@Blake.

Look at this guy. Look at him and laugh, laugh I say!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by blake1221
I didn't know that 1) you could gauge the importance of users outside of mods and 2) you value my opinion enough that it clearly struck a nerve.

lol@youtalkingaboutme

Unimportant users are unimportant users.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by blake1221
Shit, I thought I was deleting a post from a different thread.

So, everyone?

I'm definitely important. That's why all the mods try to ban me.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Lol amateur.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Lol amateur.

What's that? '07er that I have never seen before?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I'm definitely important. That's why all the mods try to ban me.

You're about as unimportant as the appendix. You don't contribute anything of value, but you have the potential to cause serious health complications, plus appendix is just a silly word because it has "dicks" in it.

Quote by Neo Evil11
What's that? '07er that I have never seen before?

Since you've been around longer than him, you should be such a better user, and yet why aren't you?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by theogonia777
You're about as unimportant as the appendix. You don't contribute anything of value, but you have the potential to cause serious health complications, plus appendix is just a silly word because it has "dicks" in it.

I'm as important as the genetic defect of the inferior species is to the advancement of the species as a whole.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by theogonia777

Since you've been around longer than him, you should be such a better user, and yet why aren't you?

Quote by theogonia777

This is valid and I'm awful too so that's saying something

My posts are so bad I'm pretty sure they're the reason frenchy left
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Neo Evil11
I'm as important as the genetic defect of the inferior species is to the advancement of the species as a whole.

all i read was "I'm a genetic defect" will agree with you on that one

Whats it like having three vaginas? must get sand stuck in the a lot I'm guessing
Last edited by nathan549 at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by nathan549
all i read was "I'm a genetic defect" will agree with you on that one

Whats it like having three vaginas? must get sand stuck in the a lot I'm guessing

You tell me. You have been responding for multiple pages.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
You tell me. You have been responding for multiple pages.

but you see this is my thread, i will always respond
Quote by The Madcap
No, there is no advantage to "anchoring" and several advantages when you don't.

those advantages are?
Quote by nathan549
but you see this is my thread, i will always respond

Than this is the point where I tell you that you created this thread in the wrong forum.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's exactly what anchoring is

I'll show myself out.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Than this is the point where I tell you that you created this thread in the wrong forum.

this is the point where you still think you are important cause mummy calls you special, and that you have a sense of humour. this thread has made you butt hurt otherwise you wouldn't still be replying in this thread
Quote by LostLegion
When I'm strumming, am I the only one who sticks all my fingers out?

i do the same thing
Quote by nathan549
those advantages are?
- A more relaxed and natural position for the hand allow for better stamina when playing. You know how when teaching piano, they generally teach to straighten your wrist and find the natural curvature in your fingers? It's the same philosophy for guitar. If you're exerting any force downward, it's unnecessary strain.

- Your hand can more easily move to different parts of the string allow for timbre changes and general musicality. When you "anchor" you're anchoring your sound, too.

- All three fingers have better access to the strings. It's harder to play bass strings with the middle finger when anchoring.

- Easier to switch from free stroke to rest stroke.

Name a single classical guitarist who anchors. They don't because it's extremely impractical and restricting. Not to mention that once a player gets used to not anchoring, there is no reason to return.
Quote by nathan549
this is the point where you still think you are important cause mummy calls you special, and that you have a sense of humour. this thread has made you butt hurt otherwise you wouldn't still be replying in this thread

You sound like a 1 dollar psychologist. If human behaviour was only that simple.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by The Madcap
- A more relaxed and natural position for the hand allow for better stamina when playing. You know how when teaching piano, they generally teach to straighten your wrist and find the natural curvature in your fingers? It's the same philosophy for guitar. If you're exerting any force downward, it's unnecessary strain.

- Your hand can more easily move to different parts of the string allow for timbre changes and general musicality. When you "anchor" you're anchoring your sound, too.

- All three fingers have better access to the strings. It's harder to play bass strings with the middle finger when anchoring.

- Easier to switch from free stroke to rest stroke.

Name a single classical guitarist who anchors. They don't because it's extremely impractical and restricting. Not to mention that once a player gets used to not anchoring, there is no reason to return.

ok i was going to reply to every single one of those but you said classical guitarist, that is different. finger picking who the hell anchors? i'm talking about with a pick.

with your first answer, anchoring isn't "strain" if you strain your finger you aren't anchoring right.
your second answer, i never have trouble going to any part of the strings while anchoring, again anchoring isnt forced pressure just a resting spot. when i move my hand up or down my anchor finger will follow.

as i stated in my op, i have done/do both. IMO for me, there is no benefits of not anchoring vs anchoring and vice versa. i think of it more as a comfort factor then a detriment of playability
Last edited by nathan549 at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by Neo Evil11
You sound like a 1 dollar psychologist. If human behaviour was only that simple.

must be psychic too, knew you would still reply.
Quote by nathan549
i do the same thing

I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure. I was gonna link to a video of me, but people would probably get mad.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure. I was gonna link to a video of me, but people would probably get mad.

no go ahead, throw your link in
Quote by nathan549
ok i was going to reply to every single one of those but you said classical guitarist, that is different. finger picking who the hell anchors? i'm talking about with a pick.
With a pick it's different, sure.
Quote by nathan549
with your first answer, anchoring isn't "strain" if you strain your finger you aren't anchoring right.
It's inherently strain even though it might be small. If you're exerting force downward, it's still force that doesn't need to be there and doesn't help at all.
Quote by nathan549
your second answer, i never have trouble going to any part of the strings to the bridge while anchoring, again anchoring isnt forced pressure just a resting spot. when i move my hand up or down my anchor finger will follow.
Maybe the pieces you play aren't that difficult. Simple pieces you could get by with, but if you tried to play a piece like the one below, which requires picking with the ring finger on the A-string, it'd be very difficult and impractical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yn2UCeM0sY

Regardless, no anchor frees the hand. I used to anchor and stopped, because it was not helping my playing in any way.
Quote by nathan549
must be psychic too, knew you would still reply.

Ofcourse I will. You are getting fun. Much better than Hatebreeder.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Why are all these unknown users judging me. Never seen you before.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by The Madcap
With a pick it's different, sure.It's inherently strain even though it might be small. If you're exerting force downward, it's still force that doesn't need to be there and doesn't help at all.Maybe the pieces you play aren't that difficult. Simple pieces you could get by with, but if you tried to play a piece like the one below, which requires picking with the ring finger on the A-string, it'd be very difficult and impractical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yn2UCeM0sY

Regardless, no anchor frees the hand. I used to anchor and stopped, because it was not helping my playing in any way.

well anchoring isn't "downward" pressure unless your playing lap guitar, its basically saying what do you feel more comfortable doing, having your wrists resting on your keyboard or arms in the air while you type? of course with your hand free it will get tired but while it is anchored onto something it won't.

and again for classical/finger picking style you can't really anchor anyway it isnt comfortable to finger pick with a finger on the pickguard, but finger picking in itself sort of acts as anchoring cause you always have your fingers against something instead of being in mid air if you get what i mean.

if your playing with a pick anchoring is no different then no anchoring. if its fingerpicking it is hard TOO anchor
Quote by nathan549
well anchoring isn't "downward" pressure unless your playing lap guitar, its basically saying what do you feel more comfortable doing, having your wrists resting on your keyboard or arms in the air while you type? of course with your hand free it will get tired but while it is anchored onto something it won't.

and again for classical/finger picking style you can't really anchor anyway it isnt comfortable to finger pick with a finger on the pickguard
At this point I'm referring to people who fingerpick and anchor, which a ton of people do. Players like Tommy Emmanuel for example.
Quote by nathan549
but finger picking in itself sort of acts as anchoring cause you always have your fingers against something instead of being in mid air if you get what i mean.
Not necessarily.
Quote by nathan549
if your playing with a pick anchoring is no different then no anchoring. if its fingerpicking it is hard TOO anchor

wtfamireading.jpg
Quote by WCPhils

while watching your video your hand looks very uncomfortable ( may not be just looks that way) you don't anchor unless your palm is resting on the bridge which i can't tell, but what the other guy was saying with the fingers out was about strumming only

nice vid btw keep up the good work