Poll: Do you anchor or not?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you anchor or not?
Yes
89 51%
No
84 49%
Voters: 173.
Page 5 of 5
Quote by Neo Evil11
Why are all these unknown users judging me. Never seen you before.

i post on here like twelve times a day. come on. but i did just change my avatar. maybe that's it...
Quote by The Madcap
At this point I'm referring to people who fingerpick and anchor, which a ton of people do. Players like Tommy Emmanuel for example.Not necessarily......

wtfamireading.jpg

IMO i can't finger pick while being anchored its not natural to me and i have to TRY and do it. but with a pick anchoring comes naturally.

but yes your whole argument is based on classical/fingerpicking players which is alot different then people using picks. as i said before fingerpicking is like a type of anchoring
Last edited by nathan549 at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by Thrill-house
While soloing, no. Otherwise, yes.

anchoring is basically just lead guitar, i don't know how you would anchor doing strumming...
Quote by Neo Evil11
Ofcourse I will. You are getting fun. Much better than Hatebreeder.

Hey, I never claimed to be entertaining.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
For finger picking, strumming, no.

For flat picking, yes. I feel weird not doing it.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
For finger picking, strumming, no.

For flat picking, yes. I feel weird not doing it.

yes i thought everybody knew this, as i said before it would be a hell of alot harder to anchor while strumming/fingerpicking then not.
Quote by Eastwinn
i post on here like twelve times a day. come on. but i did just change my avatar. maybe that's it...

Maybe you should go back to that black, red, and white angel heart thing album cover that I can never remember the name of instead.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by nathan549
anchoring is basically just lead guitar, i don't know how you would anchor doing strumming...

I have an odd playing style, including the way I hold a pick.
Quote by Thrill-house
I have an odd playing style, including the way I hold a pick.

that might explain it. but whatever is comfortable is the way to go
Quote by nathan549
that might explain it. but whatever is comfortable is the way to go

My old guitar teacher tried to get me to play "correctly" and it did no good. It works for me though.
Quote by Thrill-house
My old guitar teacher tried to get me to play "correctly" and it did no good. It works for me though.

thats the thing the only correct way of playing guitar is the one you feel most comfortable with doing
Quote by nathan549
while watching your video your hand looks very uncomfortable ( may not be just looks that way) you don't anchor unless your palm is resting on the bridge which i can't tell, but what the other guy was saying with the fingers out was about strumming only

nice vid btw keep up the good work

Yea, I was watching it and thinking my hand looked funny, and but it feels fine while playing. I think people should just do whatever they're comfortable with

Thanks btw
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Yes, because I have no illusion about being able to play fast or complicated patterns and so anchoring is beneficial.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, I was watching it and thinking my hand looked funny, and but it feels fine while playing. I think people should just do whatever they're comfortable with

Thanks btw

it just looks like your straining it out but if its comfortable don't change it .
no worries
Quote by theogonia777
Maybe you should go back to that black, red, and white angel heart thing album cover that I can never remember the name of instead.

but I like this one
I rest my hand on the bridge.

How do people play without anchoring? Do you just hold your hand above the guitar's top without touching it?

EDIT: Think about this, when you write, your hand touches the paper. It's basically the same motion as "anchoring" when playing guitar (I guess you use your fingers more than your wrist, but it's pretty similar). Why would anchoring your palm be in any way harmful? Trying to keep your arm from touching the guitar top feels awkward, so why not let it rest on the bridge?
Last edited by sashki at Oct 9, 2012,
Quote by sashki
I rest my hand on the bridge.

How do people play without anchoring? Do you just hold your hand above the guitar's top without touching it?

EDIT: Think about this, when you write, your hand touches the paper. It's basically the same motion as "anchoring" when playing guitar (I guess you use your fingers more than your wrist, but it's pretty similar). Why would anchoring your palm be in any way harmful? Trying to keep your arm from touching the guitar top feels awkward, so why not let it rest on the bridge?

Turns out, according to proper penmanship that was taught in colonial times, you're not supposed to touch the paper with your writing hand at all. It's supposed to hover above the paper. I don't know about resting your elbow though.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I'm seriously surprised this hasn't been locked or moved to a different forum. I've seen way way too many of these threads on the guitar techniques forum.
I use to try and not anchor when I played, then I saw zz top live and was witness to billy gibbons anchoring the shit out of everything. I stopped caring about anchoring after that
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Quote by vayne92
I'm seriously surprised this hasn't been locked or moved to a different forum. I've seen way way too many of these threads on the guitar techniques forum.

I think this one can become the new reference to say 2 things:

1. Anchoring is not bad unless it causes pain, slows you down, or you play classical guitar.

and

2. There's always someone who can't stay on topic and goes for the personal attacks.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Nope,never felt need for it.My picking hand technique has always been good on any stringed instrument.
Quote by OfCourseNot
I think this one can become the new reference to say 2 things:

1. Anchoring is not bad unless it causes pain, slows you down, or you play classical guitar.

and

2. There's always someone who can't stay on topic and goes for the personal attacks.

exactly this. This was the whole point of me making this thread, too many other threads saying that anchoring is wrong and you should correct it, when that is complete utter bullshit. anchoring does not affect playability at all. (unless you play classical guitar)

that is very true, always people in the pit going off topic to attack others
Quote by TheEternalJew
WHAT A DISGUSTING LOOKING HAND!!!

Meh, you're mother didn't complain
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Last edited by slash_GNR666 at Oct 9, 2012,
*10 pages*

Quote by nathan549
exactly this. This was the whole point of me making this thread, too many other threads saying that anchoring is wrong and you should correct it, when that is complete utter bullshit. anchoring does not affect playability at all. (unless you play classical guitar)

that is very true, always people in the pit going off topic to attack others

Well, it can depending on what you're trying to do, how you're doing it, and how you're anchoring.

But generally it doesn't as long as you're smart.

The only real anchoring I do is resting my wrist on the bridge to mute the strings I'm not playing. While technically "anchoring" since it's resting a part of my body on the guitar, that isn't the problematic finger anchoring a lot of people point out. I hated biology class, so I'm not great with anatomy, but if I understand it, the main problem is it tenses up and stretches the muscles that move your fingers needlessly, inhibiting picking movement and tiring your hand quicker. As long as you're relaxing your hand when you do it and can move your hand from that spot, it really shouldn't impede you.

Like I said though, I was fortunate enough to never develop the habit, so I'm just speculating here.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 46-49
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 9, 2012,
Not anchoring is better than anchoring. Is it that important to overly guitar playing technique? Not terribly, but saying that they are pretty much the same is wrong.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
i have really good technique with my fretting hand (left) but i have simply atrocious technique with picking. I can fingerpick well enough (while anchoring) but i just can not pick unanchored. My pinky is either on the body or it's slightly crooked around the e-string. When i play the e-string it goes on the body of the guitar. Ive tried to correct the poor technique but i just cant seem to. Im left handed though so it explains why my technique is so poor, it just frustrates me that i cant improve to the level that my fretting hand is at.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, it can depending on what you're trying to do, how you're doing it, and how you're anchoring.

But generally it doesn't as long as you're smart.

The only real anchoring I do is resting my wrist on the bridge to mute the strings I'm not playing. While technically "anchoring" since it's resting a part of my body on the guitar, that isn't the problematic finger anchoring a lot of people point out. I hated biology class, so I'm not great with anatomy, but if I understand it, the main problem is it tenses up and stretches the muscles that move your fingers needlessly, inhibiting picking movement and tiring your hand quicker. As long as you're relaxing your hand when you do it and can move your hand from that spot, it really shouldn't impede you.

Like I said though, I was fortunate enough to never develop the habit, so I'm just speculating here.

if there is tension in your anchor finger completely wrong, as i said i anchor both with the palm and the finger depending on what im playing, the pinky just rests on the pickguard, if my hand moves further up or further down the strings my pinky follows. There shouldn't be any tension or strain on your finger at all.
Quote by rockingamer2
Not anchoring is better than anchoring. Is it that important to overly guitar playing technique? Not terribly, but saying that they are pretty much the same is wrong.

no it isn't "wrong", as i said i do BOTH and i personally see no difference in either, i play fast if not faster while i am anchored. my hand is free to go were ever it likes while the anchor finger follows. there is no difference unless you are playing classical guitar
Quote by Acϵ♠
i have really good technique with my fretting hand (left) but i have simply atrocious technique with picking. I can fingerpick well enough (while anchoring) but i just can not pick unanchored. My pinky is either on the body or it's slightly crooked around the e-string. When i play the e-string it goes on the body of the guitar. Ive tried to correct the poor technique but i just cant seem to. Im left handed though so it explains why my technique is so poor, it just frustrates me that i cant improve to the level that my fretting hand is at.

anchoring isn't poor technique. If your not getting pain from doing it then your technique is perfectly fine
Quote by nathan549
no it isn't "wrong", as i said i do BOTH and i personally see no difference in either, i play fast if not faster while i am anchored. my hand is free to go were ever it likes while the anchor finger follows. there is no difference unless you are playing classical guitar

Agreed.
When it comes to anything artistic, be it painting a picture, writing poetry or playing an instrument, there is no right or wrong because anything that is artistic is also subjective.

Put it this way, if there really were established rights and wrongs in guitar playing, then guys like Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen weren't really innovators at all, they were just 'doing it wrong' all along and we should all ignore their contributions to music in case we make the same 'mistakes'.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Agreed.
When it comes to anything artistic, be it painting a picture, writing poetry or playing an instrument, there is no right or wrong because anything that is artistic is also subjective.

Put it this way, if there really were established rights and wrongs in guitar playing, then guys like Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen weren't really innovators at all, they were just 'doing it wrong' all along and we should all ignore their contributions to music in case we make the same 'mistakes'.

EXACTLY, well said.
I anchor sometimes, i need to work on not doing it whilst fingerpicking, the main reason why i can't seem to break away from it is because it keeps my hand stable, so i don't hit the wrong strings, but the obvious drawback is, it limits the use of my ring and pinky, so i can't play more complex stuff. I guess practice is the only thing i can do it break out of the habit.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.