Page 3 of 7
Quote by Perverockstar69
Well, I had to buy my RA new, there was NONE on the used market when that happened. I couldn't wait!

You didn't HAVE to have a Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic though, even though it does seem to be the best fit for you
BTW, I just got my Orange cab, I can demo the RA now !

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Wonder what the OP is going to do lol.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Me too, I'm biting my fingernails xD. I suspect something baaaaad, hope I'm wrong...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Me too, I'm biting my fingernails xD. I suspect something baaaaad, hope I'm wrong... /

+1. i honestly hope he listens to us. i hate it when people waste their money on a shitty amp, that just sets them back on getting something good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Imagine playing with a Frontman...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69

Quote by Arby911

I hate Whitechapel, but damn that is one sexy piece of guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ not to threadjack or anything - but you know you can contact the seller and work out a shipping arrangement. If it has been on the used market for more than a week especially I'm sure the seller would consider it.

TS - where is your head at right now?

PS - the Frontman is good if you have a MFX pedal
Quote by Wesbanez
Thanks bra, for your next trick, please tell me how I could get to Miami, Florida, from my current location and still make that purchase worthwhile.

Thanks

Not my problem, you asked, I provided. No moving goalposts need apply...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ not to threadjack or anything - but you know you can contact the seller and work out a shipping arrangement. If it has been on the used market for more than a week especially I'm sure the seller would consider it.

TS - where is your head at right now?

PS - the Frontman is good if you have a MFX pedal

Yes, but it was fun to write

TS What's your thinking? These fine gentlemen suggested you very cool stuff for your needs!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Wesbanez
Ok ok, I suppose you did.

More seriously, I would get in contact with the seller. I don't know what those guitars sell for in your area, but generally you pay more than we do so even if you had to shoot him $100-$150 for shipping you might come out well ahead?

It's not like it costs you anything to ask...
Charles Darwin
Cheapest I could pick one up new around here is around the £900 (~$1400) mark, so $750 is a good deal at first glance but im not really sure im comfortable which having an expensive guitar shipped accross the Atlantic ocean.

Plus as far as im aware it doesn't come with a hardcase, so thats something else Id have to have the seller purchase for me before shipping (cardboard and bubble ain't gonna cut it for international shipping).

Any ideas?
Quote by Perverockstar69

Imagine your other guitarist recording with one for your first EP.

I offered him my x100b and everything...

Oh god, the horror.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Wesbanez
Cheapest I could pick one up new around here is around the £900 (~$1400) mark, so $750 is a good deal at first glance but im not really sure im comfortable which having an expensive guitar shipped accross the Atlantic ocean.

Plus as far as im aware it doesn't come with a hardcase, so thats something else Id have to have the seller purchase for me before shipping (cardboard and bubble ain't gonna cut it for international shipping).

Any ideas?

How do you think it got here?

A Gator hardcase is around $100, shipping is probably another $100-150, so you're at $900-1000 depending on what kind of deal you can work with the seller.

Is the $400-500 savings worth it to you?

And he may have a case, and merely have not mentioned it. As I said, ask...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
How do you think it got here?

Touché. Although I doubt they ship them in either consumer grade hard cases or cardboard and bubble wrap.

I shall enquire. I need this guitar like a crack ***** needs crack.
Taken into consideration that the frontman is just another shitty SS amp what about the vox valvatronix VT40 as a valve/tube amp I can just hook up to the PA system
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Valvetronix is not tube, it has a tube inside but doesn't do anything to improve tone.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Taken into consideration that the frontman is just another shitty SS amp what about the vox valvatronix VT40 as a valve/tube amp I can just hook up to the PA system

i'd rather use a multi effects to hook up to a PA, maybe something like a Line 6 HD500. something with good effects and good cab emulation.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by cha33 armstrong

thats an SS amp too
Quote by ihartfood
thats an SS amp too

Hybrid. One tube apparently creates the tone, except at a really low volume (not loud enough to be heard) so it's boosted by SS.

Still meh.
I get the feeling that the OP doesn't really know what he wants. He started off fixated on 100W amps, then stuck to solid sate, now modelling. He likes a certain kind of music but it's a bit all over the place and he seems to be a bit confused in general.

I actually think the VT40 might be the best option - although if he's gigging I would look at the VT80 - simply because it will give him the facility to find what he really does want by experimenting with the different models and sounds, and within his budget. He does seem to be working to a budget.

Then he can buy the real thing when he's got his head around what he really needs. The suggestions above are all good, but he doesn't know which one is best for him.

I think he's trying to break away from his first amp to something better, but he doesn't know what to move to, and has financial limitations to deal with. Who doesn't though?

I have an AC30, which is more that a match for any kind of 100W amp, valve or not, and also a Vox VT20 for practicing with and both those do the job in the appropriate places. So OP, don't mistake watts for volume. It doesn't work that way. My 30 watt amp will drown most 100 watt solid state amps, and sound better doing it. There's more to loudness that wattage.
Quote by deano_l
I get the feeling that the OP doesn't really know what he wants. He started off fixated on 100W amps, then stuck to solid sate, now modelling. He likes a certain kind of music but it's a bit all over the place and he seems to be a bit confused in general.

I actually think the VT40 might be the best option - although if he's gigging I would look at the VT80 - simply because it will give him the facility to find what he really does want by experimenting with the different models and sounds, and within his budget. He does seem to be working to a budget.

Then he can buy the real thing when he's got his head around what he really needs. The suggestions above are all good, but he doesn't know which one is best for him.

I think he's trying to break away from his first amp to something better, but he doesn't know what to move to, and has financial limitations to deal with. Who doesn't though?

I have an AC30, which is more that a match for any kind of 100W amp, valve or not, and also a Vox VT20 for practicing with and both those do the job in the appropriate places. So OP, don't mistake watts for volume. It doesn't work that way. My 30 watt amp will drown most 100 watt solid state amps, and sound better doing it. There's more to loudness that wattage.

vt40 doesn't sound good at gig volumes man, the 10 inch speaker in it will kill any good tone you have.

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
what you need is a good valve amp, that you will be able to add to with a pedalboard later.
Try a blackstar Ht. The 1-40 watts have a SS phase inverter, but they still sound pretty cool.
if you want to go for the old school choice pick up a jcm900. I bought mine used for 250. 50 watts. didnt need any more...
what about a laney vc15-30. unless your playing at stupid volumes they will be heard in a band setting.
you may be able to get a good 2x12 combo for your proce, keep lokking, get on craigslist and gumtree. and most of all, ask around your local music scene.
Quote by Lespauljames
what you need is a good valve amp [...]
Try a blackstar Ht.

Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
We all need a good valve amp. But they are very pricy if you have to keep trying different ones to get the right one. Best to try out with a decent modeller then buy the right one.

I also think the VT40 would struggle live, which is why I suggested the VT80. It also has an attenuator fitted so he can practice at home at a reasonable level.

Valve amps and pedals are good if you know what sound you want and are experienced enough to know how to go about getting it. Otherwise they are pricy things to learn with.
What's wrong with the peavey Classic 30?? Sounds about right for his price / music.
Quote by Lespauljames
Did you read the rest of the comment? The 1-40w have a SS phase inverter, the 60 is all valve. Next time don't roll your eyes, explain why you're being a jerk.

Which makes it hybrid. Considering you didn't mention the 60 watt, you pretty much contradicted yourself with that piece of advice.

I took the liberty to correct some basic flaws in your writing. That might count as being a jerk.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
What I want is a valve/tube amp that I can get a great tone from that will also sound good when hooked up to a PA for under £180
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Perhaps a Jet City?

Also, I had a Frontman 212DSP. Literally the worst amp I've ever played. Now that I know better, I think something was wrong with it. There was so much noise and feedback, even on the clean modes. Just so so so awful.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I've never had that terrible an experience with my frontman a good practice amp.

tube amps aren't gonna sound good "hooked up to a PA" if you mean what I think you mean.

jet city isn't what he's looking for. well maybe the JCA20h.

a vox ac15 used would be ok.
I recommended AC15/AC30's earlier in the thread, although he didn't take in the suggestion. There were plenty of recommendations in the first couple pages yet he's not accepting any of them.

Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Nov 3, 2012,
Watch these:

Laney VC30

Laney Cub 15

Fender Evil Twin

Blues Junior

Vox AC15

Line 6 Flextone. A modeller but a good one, far better than a Spider.

Watch that Twin carefully. You'll want to stick an Overdrive in front of it but that's Pistols pretty much outa the box. You'll want an overdrive pedal pretty much regardless of what you buy anyway. Seriously loud. It's the pick of them but the others will get the job done too.
Just watch what they go for, if any go within budget grab it. The Twin will probably sell way above budget but watch it, those things rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification