Page 4 of 7
Quote by ihartfood
I've never had that terrible an experience with my frontman a good practice amp.

tube amps aren't gonna sound good "hooked up to a PA" if you mean what I think you mean.

jet city isn't what he's looking for. well maybe the JCA20h.

a vox ac15 used would be ok.

What I mean as in hooked up is a microphone to my speaker
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by Cathbard
Watch these:

Laney VC30

Laney Cub 15

Fender Evil Twin

Blues Junior

Vox AC15

Line 6 Flextone. A modeller but a good one, far better than a Spider.

Watch that Twin carefully. You'll want to stick an Overdrive in front of it but that's Pistols pretty much outa the box. You'll want an overdrive pedal pretty much regardless of what you buy anyway. Seriously loud. It's the pick of them but the others will get the job done too.
Just watch what they go for, if any go within budget grab it. The Twin will probably sell way above budget but watch it, those things rock.

In terms of buying an OD pedal I've seen this guy on ebay selling tubescreamer TS9's for just over a 1/3 of the price I don't know if they are the real deal though I'll put a link up in a sec
- Frank Castle
Hey, just so you know, we really arent all that bad around here. The guys are right. Tube is where its at. I had a Frontman. And a Valvestate (The Marshall version of the Vox VT) and they both sucked. My buddy had an MG. It was terrible. Now, when I first played them, I didnt know. But as my ears developed, I wanted better gear. Asked on here, went tube, and never went back.

You do know what they say about going Tube dont you?

EDIT: Unless your AM with a Kemper..
Last edited by nickdohle at Nov 3, 2012,
Quote by nickdohle
Hey, just so you know, we really arent all that bad around here. The guys are right. Tube is where its at. I had a Frontman. And a Valvestate (The Marshall version of the Vox VT) and they both sucked. My buddy had an MG. It was terrible. Now, when I first played them, I didnt know. But as my ears developed, I wanted better gear. Asked on here, went tube, and never went back.

You do know what they say about going Tube dont you?

EDIT: Unless your AM with a Kemper..

Once you go tube you can't go back
- Frank Castle
so what amp are you interested in cha33?
this thread seems to be A LOT longer than what it should be
Quote by Alphaform
so what amp are you interested in cha33?
this thread seems to be A LOT longer than what it should be

I'm looking for a valve/tube amp that can get me a good tone has gain bass middle treble, that sounds good mic'd up and costs less than £180
- Frank Castle
As far as overdrives - it's punk, you'll get away with just about anything as long as it pushes the amp fairly hard. You could just go with one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joyo-Vintage-Overdrive-True-Bypass-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-Jrc4588-Tube-Screamer-FX-/230869897165?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35c0eb0fcd
which are a copy of a tubescreamer that works just fine. Spend your money on the amp and then buy that. ^

There's still nobody bidding on that evil twin. You could get lucky there. Snipe it with every penny you have. You can scrape up the extra 25 quid for an OD later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 3, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
As far as overdrives - it's punk, you'll get away with just about anything as long as it pushes the amp fairly hard. You could just go with one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joyo-Vintage-Overdrive-True-Bypass-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-Jrc4588-Tube-Screamer-FX-/230869897165?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35c0eb0fcd
which are a copy of a tubescreamer that works just fine. Spend your money on the amp and then buy that. ^

There's still nobody bidding on that evil twin. You could get lucky there. Snipe it with every penny you have. You can scrape up the extra 25 quid for an OD later.

Nah In case of overdrive I want the real deal tubescreamer
- Frank Castle
I've built more than a couple of tubescreamers myself, there's nothing to them. Spend all your money on the amp. Tubescreamer clones are fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've built more than a couple of tubescreamers myself, there's nothing to them. Spend all your money on the amp. Tubescreamer clones are fine.

+100

I use 2 diffrent tubescreamer clones and both sound better than the real things to me. And both of mine (Digitech bad monkey, GFS Greenie classic) are $50 new vs $100+
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Technically I'm in the middle of building a pedal at the moment so I'd rather get through that before buying another clone PCB
- Frank Castle
The point being that there are shitloads of good overdrive pedals that will cost you a mere fraction of the cost of an Ibanez Tubescreamer and do just as good of a job. Concentrate on the amp and consider the overdrive later. If you have 25 quid left over you can afford a decent overdrive, if not buy it later.
When there's 2 seconds left place a bid for that twin using every last coin you have at your disposal.

That Joyo Vintage Overdrive isn't a kit btw, it comes fully assembled.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The point being that there are shitloads of good overdrive pedals that will cost you a mere fraction of the cost of an Ibanez Tubescreamer and do just as good of a job. Concentrate on the amp and consider the overdrive later. If you have 25 quid left over you can afford a decent overdrive, if not buy it later.
When there's 2 seconds left place a bid for that twin using every last coin you have at your disposal.

That Joyo Vintage Overdrive isn't a kit btw, it comes fully assembled.

Well I always thought joyo were kits so tyhanks for putting me straight and I should clarify I don't have the money on me I'm just taking in suggestions for amps due to my friend is selling one of my old right handed guitars for £100 and I figured I'd only get £80 odd for my current amp that's why I specified under £180
- Frank Castle
Well watch those auctions I listed - but cross your fingers and try to get that twin if you can. The Pistols and the Clash both used Fender Twins. Well, Joe Strummer ended up using Music Man amps because old Twins were getting hard to find on tour and Music Mans were plentiful at the time and he thought they sounded close enough.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ihartfood
I've never had that terrible an experience with my frontman a good practice amp.

tube amps aren't gonna sound good "hooked up to a PA" if you mean what I think you mean.

jet city isn't what he's looking for. well maybe the JCA20h.

a vox ac15 used would be ok.

I've played a regular frontman, and it wasn't horrible, but the DSP version, just pathetic...
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
im trying to find a harley benton valve/tube combo amp would that be so embarrassing to have as a amp???
- Frank Castle
I know nothing about Harley Benton.

I see that Twin went for 360 quid. I did say it would probably sell above your budget but it was worth watching, stranger things have happened.

That Flextone looks pretty tempting. It's within budget. Says pickup only and it's in the West Midlands. If that's near you I'd just buy it. Offer him 150 for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Unless there is a amp luthier out there who wants to take apart any messa boogie valve amp clone the circuit and build me a clone for £180
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Unless there is a amp luthier out there who wants to take apart any messa boogie valve amp clone the circuit and build me a clone for £180

are they called amp luthiers? :O

and if this is serious, then no. there isn't. I highly, highly doubt it and the clone would be shit.
Quote by ihartfood
are they called amp luthiers? :O

and if this is serious, then no. there isn't. I highly, highly doubt it and the clone would be shit.

1 god knows what there called
2 can't be shitter than the amp I currently have
- Frank Castle
I have every intention of building a Mesa Mk1 clone in the future but for £180? The transformers alone are almost worth that by themselves.
And we are called techs, not luthiers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have every intention of building a Mesa Mk1 clone in the future but for £180? The transformers alone are almost worth that by themselves.
And we are called techs, not luthiers.

thanks for the clarification and wouldnt you be able to use cheaper transformers
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
thanks for the clarification and wouldnt you be able to use cheaper transformers

It doesn't work like that.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
It doesn't work like that.

Nooooooooo
- Frank Castle
- Frank Castle
Quote by forsaknazrael
why did i read this whole thread?

Because it's funny.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Why the **** would I use Mesa transformers if making a Mk1 from the ground up? Normal Fender ones are the same as a mk1. Do you have any idea how many people make Fender transformers? You're still looking at a couple of hundred bucks.

And btw, that ebay listing is just for the little transformer that feeds the Reverb on a Twin. You can see from the photo that it's tiny.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 5, 2012,
Quote by Eppicurt
Because it's funny.

i read it too and it was fun but in a sad way
TS you obviously have no clue about gear nor will you take the advise of others who actually do. Keep your MG and keep practicing. I wouldn't waist your money since you don't really know what you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Seconded. I just read through this whole thing, and it is clear that all you know is that you want something better, but with a budget like that, you aren't looking at anything substantial. Play your MG, save your money, and enjoy.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.