whoomit
1,492 IQ
I know it's starting to seem like I've got a lot on my lunch plate but I've just started a couple of LP Juniors today. All reclaimed wood so far, some kinda of mahogany for the bodies, and the neck blanks (which I actually made a couple weeks back) are 3-piece oak and mahogany. I think... I can't actually remember.

Anyway, here are some pics to start. Timber cut down:

I'm going to get 3 bodies out of this plank. I was hoping to get about 5 out of it, but some of the nail holes in it convinced me otherwise.

Sides planed, and roughed up a little with some 80 grit. I read the other day that roughing up the surfaces can actually make the join more discrete. If you sand it with a low grit you'll raise some of the grain fibres. They should then in theory merge with the fibres on piece it's being glued to. We'll see hot that works:

Glued and clamped, with an artist's impression of what the finished body will almost certainly look like:

Templates are being finished:

It's just the cavity and cover recess that need the templates finishing (along with the actualy cavity cover, but I'll sort that later).

More work tomorrow
mtshark
is the bees knees
1,497 IQ
Looks promising! What are the finishing plans for these puppies?
I pride myself on my humility.
Chief Jim
54 IQ
enjoying the tele build thread too so will watch with interest!

just out of curiosity, what glue do you use to stick it together? i guess it needs to be really strong, just not sure what you use.

never really occured to me to use reclaimed stuff till you started the tele thread, opens all sort of possibilities.....
BrokenDstring
Band
1,170 IQ
I've always loved DCLPJr's...acronyms FTW.

Planning for one of them to be TV yellow?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Quote by Chief Jim
just out of curiosity, what glue do you use to stick it together? i guess it needs to be really strong, just not sure what you use.

I use Gorilla Glue expanding polyurethane for most things. It foams up as it drys so it fills any slight gaps that may exist. The excess chisels off real easy too:

Cavity templates are roughed. You can see that I've made the template for the cover recess quite a bit longer thatn it is on the print out. That's so I can use magnets to fit the cover:

Quote by mtshark
Looks promising! What are the finishing plans for these puppies?

No TV Yellow I'm afraid, all natural I might put elm tops on them if they're not thick enough once planed. I won't know that until my pickups arrive though. Should be able to make it work as they are though.
Last edited by whoomit at Oct 9, 2012,
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
Nice.

And what the balls, why do you keep building guitars that I like? Are you taunting me?

Well I now have £55 left in my bank account, and I'll have none by the time I've bought hardware for these. Buy one please
Telecaster7
Call me Leon
1,439 IQ
Quote by whoomit
Well I now have £55 left in my bank account, and I'll have none by the time I've bought hardware for these. Buy one please

Provide cheap-ish shipping to Australia and I will consider. For reference, how much would you offload these for?
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
Provide cheap-ish shipping to Australia and I will consider. For reference, how much would you offload these for?

I'll look into it next week if you want. I'm going down South tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday. These will be roughly the same kind of price as the Teles, £450-550. I won't know until I've ordered up the hardware though. I've got all the wood sorted, and the pickups, but nothing else.

Not an exciting photo I know, but I finished these templates:

I also made my neck template, and I'm close to finishing the neck pocket template too. I wanted to get my scarf joints on the neck today but I ran out of time Maybe in the morning, we'll see.
George Juggles
Tab Contributor
1,309 IQ
Why no lunch pics ?
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Finished planing the front of the bodies today:

I'm going to build a jig to use my router to thickness them. Might get that done tomorrow, might not, who knows.

I redid the neck pocket template:

I realised a fantastic way to make a super-tidy neck pocket template, can't believe I never thought of it before. Take 3 straight bits of MDF and line them up with the outline you want, and tape them down. Then just use a bearing-bit in your router and bingo. Three straight liness, with symmetrical rounded corners! Unfortunately I'll need to make a new neck template to match it

Here are the neck blanks, Oak/Mahogany/Oak:

I'm thinking of using offcuts from the body for the scarf-jointed headstocks. What do you guys think?

Here's the headstock shape. It's based off an old Hofner, but I've reversed it:
MightySumo
I love lamp
2,112 IQ
These are shaping up nicely
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
whoomit
1,492 IQ
I know this isn't exciting in the slightest, but here it is anyway:

Shaped the heel of the new neck template. I was away to rout the taper (hence the tape), thus completing the template, but I ran out of time for the day
whoomit
1,492 IQ
So I've been looking at bridges...

I was thinking maybe these?

I think they're kinda ugly though, opinions?

I'm going string through by the way.
George Juggles
Tab Contributor
1,309 IQ
I don't like them. They look funny
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
n1ckn1ce
Slight douchebag.
2,348 IQ
They do look unusual, but rolling saddle will definately help with string breaking,
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Quote by n1ckn1ce
They do look unusual, but rolling saddle will definately help with string breaking,

Yeah, plus they looks slightly more comfortable on the hand than a standard TOM. Also, when I think about it, I think Dogear P90s are ugly but I'm using them anyway

whoomit
1,492 IQ
My thicknessing jig, pretty simple:

Horribly cut timber before:

During:

and after thicknessing:

Here's the other one:

Both bodies are just over 1" thick, so I'll probably put tops on them.

Elm?

Or, Elm on one, and Teak strips (kinda like the Teles, but thicker) on the other?

There's also some Oak and other stuff lying around, I'll have to have a proper look. Throw ideas at me people.
epiphone14
77 IQ
Please post a video or soundclip of those p90s im thinking of getting them for a sg im starting soon. P.S. the guitars look great so far cant wait to see the finished product.
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Well, you might have noticed that progress stopped on my builds. I've been trying to get the workshop into shape. Still not there, in fact, it's not even half way there. Hell of a lot better though so I started up again a little yesterday.

I put Elm tops on these and routed them. I went with the control layout on the template for the first one (left) and wasn't exactly in love with it. I've moved up and to the right on the second one.

Quote by epiphone14
Please post a video or soundclip of those p90s im thinking of getting them for a sg im starting soon. P.S. the guitars look great so far cant wait to see the finished product.

When I get finished I will

Edit: Oh, and those bevels were inspired by W4RP1G's Shred-Tele build. I didn't like the look of them when he first did it, but they grew on me. Thanks man
Last edited by whoomit at Jan 4, 2013,
BirdRiverCustom
245 IQ
I was about to say, everyones putting a little bit of W4RP1G into their builds, i think its a nice effect that allows you to add an accent bevel without doing the whole body. How are you going to fill the abscess' in the elm top on the right where the burl is? Im looking at doing a tele on my next build so ive been watching this go along.
whoomit
1,492 IQ
I think I'm just going to go with wood dust and glue. Going to research to see if there's any other methods though too.
whoomit
1,492 IQ
That's where I've seen it! I could've sworn I'd seen somewhere, even Googled it

I actually looked through your stuff when I was looking for knob placement ideas as well
rapfohl09
188 IQ
Hufscmid was doing that body contouring long before anyone on the forum.

And you really can't blame anyone for using your ideas when you are posting your work on the internet. That was something (just about the only thing) that always bothered me with Ormsby, he would always post something new, and then complain that it popped up everywhere.

On a more constructive note, I think those Elm tops look great! I love Jrs. I really want to build one.
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Quote by Jason Jillard
i like it.

did you make it?

Yup! Not quite as neat as I want though, so I'm going to make up a good template and remake it and make its partner
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Well for this I just routed out the inside.
Cut the outside to the rough dimensions and sanded them down on the belt sander.
Then I taped a plastic cover upside down on the top for the holes.

I'll post a picture of my template once I've got a better technique down though.

How do you do yours?
whoomit
1,492 IQ
How do you line up your outside template with the inside hole? Do you just do it by eye?