4 2%
Other
9 4%
Voters: 218.
Page 1 of 4
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
This was something I was thinking about after that thread about buying alcohol for minors.

Many months ago, I went to a get together at a friends house. I'm not too involved in the whole college-social-drinking thing (and I don't drink, really) so I just played video games with some other people there.

Anyways, there was a lot of drinking and smoking weed, which I don't mind as I've been around that plenty of times before (and I've even bought these guys alcohol before as I'm old enough to). So the guys there had drank to the point where you could easily tell if you just walked in the room that they had been drinking. To that point where they're acting retarded, leaving ridiculously long, stupid voicemails to people, etc.

So moving forward, as I was leaving I saw one of the guys driving to his apartment. It was about 2 in the morning, and if he were to get pulled over, he'd definitely get a DUI (or DWI, I forgot the difference) but he didn't get pulled over. He said his place wasn't very far.

So the point of this thread; There are some things that are displayed by the media as wrong, but it's just not a big deal if people do it. Things like pirating movies or software, or texting while driving. Commercials will display texting while driving as a very bad thing to do, but if I meet somebody ages 18-30, there's a 90% chance they text while drive.

Because I'm not really around this sort of thing often, I'm not really sure how common or frowned upon it really is, so that's why I'm asking.

If you were in that position I was in, what would you think of the guy driving? No big deal? Or do you think he's a jackass?
Last edited by The Madcap at Oct 8, 2012,
raoooos
gaffer
291 IQ
He's a jackass. Have some self control. If your place isn't far, walk.
lol nah bish
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Absolute ****. I don't care if you want to put your own life in danger but there is absolutely no need to put every other person on the road in danger as well. Selfish, cuntish behaviour.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
He's a gigantic jackass. He could have hurt anyone.

I have no tolerance for drunk driving. It's ridiculously selfish and you're basically saying you don't give a shit about anyone else.

Also, texting while driving is retarded too. Almost everytime I see someone swerving all over the road they are doing something with their phone. So ****ing stupid.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 8, 2012,
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
Quote by Momentosis
texting while driving is a big deal.

Yeah, I guess. But I think the vast majority of people don't think so. I personally don't think it's a big deal if you're doing it at a red light or something.
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
My father has spent his entire 40+ year career working on automotive safety, so while I'm not an expert, I like to think that I have easy access to an expert on the matters of drunk driving and texting while driving.

Both are stupid and obscenely dangerous, and I'm honestly kind of disappointed that you see them as trivial, Madcap.
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern division champions, 2015: 81-81
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2015: 5-11
2015 Pick 'Em: 155-101
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,633 IQ
Unambiguous jackass.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,248 IQ
He's a jackass.
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah, I guess. But I think the vast majority of people don't think so. I personally don't think it's a big deal if you're doing it at a red light or something.

If it's that important then they should pull over and reply, otherwise it can wait until you've come to a complete stop. Being at a red light isn't so bad but then there's the annoying thing where they don't notice that it's turned green.

GoxGetterxGuy
...Is a Real Boy
110 IQ
Drinking and Driving has kill my best friends mother. I don't drink and when I go to partys I go out of my way to make sure no one drives. It's not okay to drink and drive.
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
Quote by necrosis1193
Both are stupid and obscenely dangerous, and I'm honestly kind of disappointed that you see them as trivial, Madcap.
Fair enough. I don't like it, and I actually got my dad to stop doing it.

I usually only text at a red light, or I'll stop at a stop sign if nobody is driving around the area. But I don't text much at all to begin with.

It is wrong though, and I suppose I should put an end to it.
CrimsonBizzare
spelt bizarre incorrectly
641 IQ
How can you compare pirating software to DUI? The media portrays piracy as wrong because they're (arguably) losing out on a larger paycheck. DUI is deemed wrong because, in general, people would rather inconsiderate fuckers didn't endanger their own lives and those of everybody else in the vicinity for no good reason.
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
Quote by The Madcap
Fair enough. I don't like it, and I actually got my dad to stop doing it.

I usually only text at a red light, or I'll stop at a stop sign if nobody is driving around the area. But I don't text much at all to begin with.

It is wrong though, and I suppose I should put an end to it.

It's not as bad what you're doing - doing it when you're not moving anywhere - but unfortunately that's not what most people I've seen doing it do. It would still be bad, but nowhere near as bad if that were the case.

Either way though, you don't text much, so like you said, may as well just avoid it altogether.

Quote by CrimsonBizzare
How can you compare pirating software to DUI? The media portrays piracy as wrong because they're (arguably) losing out on a larger paycheck. DUI is deemed wrong because, in general, people would rather inconsiderate fuckers didn't endanger their own lives and those of everybody else in the vicinity for no good reason.

Do not open this goddamn can of goddamn worms.
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern division champions, 2015: 81-81
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2015: 5-11
2015 Pick 'Em: 155-101
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by necrosis1193

This. Keep that can opener firmly in the drawer.

The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
The comparison was more about how common it is (which I'm really not sure about since it's an unfamiliar environment to me).

The piracy thing is something where it's really common and kind of pointless to even pass judgment on. I wasn't sure if this was something like that, where it's so common nobody even cares.
CrimsonBizzare
spelt bizarre incorrectly
641 IQ
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Trowzaa
This. Keep that can opener firmly in the drawer.

But... OP was started it.

Wasn't there another thread on some UGer asking whether he should drink-drive a while ago? EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529396

EDIT: ^ Oh, ok. The whole drink driving thing is generally frowned upon and there's been quite the clamp-down on it around here. Texting is a different matter, but I still can't see it meeting the same lack of public disapproval as piracy does.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Oct 8, 2012,
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Quote by WCPhils

I have no tolerance for drunk driving. It's ridiculously selfish and you're basically saying you don't give a shit about anyone else.

Also, texting while driving is retarded too. Almost everytime I see someone swerving all over the road they are doing something with their phone. So ****ing stupid.

This.
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp
1,403 IQ
Jackass..absolutely self-centered moron.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
People who drink and drive should be executed on the spot.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by raoooos
He's a jackass. Have some self control. If your place isn't far, walk.

This.

If he can see and move well enough to drive, he can see and move well enough to walk to his place.

Quote by CrimsonBizzare
How can you compare pirating software to DUI?

Just because most of the time you're not really hurting some large corporation, that doesn't mean it's ok to pirate software. As a programmer, I advise you to stop being a prick.
If you can't pay for software, then find open source programs. There's tons of open source programs that are just as good as the expensive stuff. You've 100% no reason to pirate software (except for the fact that you're too lazy).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 8, 2012,
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
I used to drink and drive a lot. Like blacked out. I thought like OP says "it's really not a big deal", but then I realized that it isn't a big deal until it's a big damn deal. It doesn't take much to turn a quick drive home (drunk) into taking somebody's life because you had too much pride to ask for a ride/pay for a cab.

So yes. I was a jackass, and he's a jackass.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by CrimsonBizzare

EDIT: ^ Oh, ok. The whole drink driving thing is generally frowned upon and there's been quite the clamp-down on it around here. Texting is a different matter, but I still can't see it not meeting the same lack of public disapproval as piracy does.

"Frowned upon"

Bit of an understatement

blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
I drive drunk and don't care about people and then I'm like hey **** the police as I speed off into the night.
Guodlca
Registered Abuser
426 IQ
Quote by The Madcap
So the point of this thread; There are some things that are displayed by the media as wrong, but it's just not a big deal if people do it. Things like pirating movies or software, or texting while driving. Commercials will display texting while driving as a very bad thing to do, but if I meet somebody ages 18-30, there's a 90% chance they text while drive.
I'm sorry, ts, but texting while driving would probably prove to be as bad or worse than driving drunk. Already speaking on the telephone lenghtens your reaction time, now being even more distracted by having to type and look at the phone, it's a bad thing.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by blake1221
I drive drunk and don't care about people and then I'm like hey **** the police as I speed off into the night.

You drunk right now, blake?
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
Absolute ****. I don't care if you want to put your own life in danger but there is absolutely no need to put every other person on the road in danger as well. Selfish, cuntish behaviour.

This, absolutely no sympathy for people who do it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by neidnarb11890
this thread is boring & full of glib opinions.

You're boring and quite glib.

Seriously, keep this up, and I'm going to assume your account has been hijacked by an adbot...
shmeegle
Guitarist
879 IQ
Quote by WCPhils

Yeah. I'd nearly hope that they crash and hurt themselves, so maybe they'll ****ing learn something.
element256
111 IQ
The majority of deadly accidents occur within 2 miles of your home, therefore hopefully that idiot kills himself soon driving drunk before he injures someone else.
Wolfinator-x
Teeth
1,337 IQ
Quote by The Madcap
Commercials will display texting while driving as a very bad thing to do, but if I meet somebody ages 18-30, there's a 90% chance they text while drive.
And they're all brain-dead.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.
Artists I'm listening to a lot lately:
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
behind_you
Very good!
1,375 IQ
No shit it's not ok
ggg1 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg3

AdamDK
Meh.
2,296 IQ
I can't tolerate drink driving. If you drink walk home or get a cab, don't risk driving, even if you're a little under or barely over the limit.

No tolerance for texting while driving either. It pisses me off when I'm walking and see people texting while driving or messing around on their phones. A huge lorry was beginning to drift into the same lane as the coach I was on once until literally inches from touching the coach they turned the wheel the other way. And as we drive past the front of the lorry I look into his cabin - looking down at his iPod changing songs while he has a piece of food in the other hand, barely on the wheel, and using his legs to hold the balance of the wheel. ****ing ****!
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

You drunk right now, blake?

whats it to you? you a cop? dint you read my last post? i said **** the police then drive off int the night
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
921 IQ
Quote by AdamDK
I can't tolerate drink driving. If you drink walk home or get a cab, don't risk driving, even if you're a little under or barely over the limit.

No tolerance for texting while driving either. It pisses me off when I'm walking and see people texting while driving or messing around on their phones. A huge lorry was beginning to drift into the same lane as the coach I was on once until literally inches from touching the coach they turned the wheel the other way. And as we drive past the front of the lorry I look into his cabin - looking down at his iPod changing songs while he has a piece of food in the other hand, barely on the wheel, and using his legs to hold the balance of the wheel. ****ing ****!

What do you drive that you can see into semi truck cabins?
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
Quote by captaincrunk
What do you drive that you can see into semi truck cabins?

I thought "lorry" just meant any truck...

Coulda been a Chevy S-10 or something lol.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!