Page 2 of 2
Quote by Cathbard
Want Pantera tone? Buy a shitty SS amp and attack the speaker with a slag pick.

Didn't mind his tone on Damageplan though. That's a Krank.

Actually that was recorded with a Randall too. The live stuff was krank, but the studio work was one of those rgs I believe, definitely Randall. I like that tone better as well, mainly because the bass sounds huge and fills up the void left by dimes thin tone.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I think it fits pantera well. TS, contrary to what some here are saying, the Dime D100 is a clone of the Randall rg100es, and the older dime cabs actually came with eminence Texas heats, which are great speakers. That head plus an older dime cab would be the ticket. If money is a little more open, krankensteins can be had for about 600-700$ a lot of the time. There is a member here, iamcline, who is selling one for 6 but you might be able to pull him down a bit.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I think it fits pantera well. TS, contrary to what some here are saying, the Dime D100 is a clone of the Randall rg100es, and the older dime cabs actually came with eminence Texas heats, which are great speakers. That head plus an older dime cab would be the ticket. If money is a little more open, krankensteins can be had for about 600-700$ a lot of the time. There is a member here, iamcline, who is selling one for 6 but you might be able to pull him down a bit.

A State fan, eh? Aw lawd.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Quote by Hup
How many of you are judging Dime's tone by 2012 standards? The tone he's (in)famous for is ~22 years old. I guarantee the majority of you weren't even alive in 1990.

Nearly everything else was a shitty black / death / thrash metal tone at that time. At least Dime's sound was interesting and in your face.

And thank you for making me feel so ****ing old!

Worst argument ever. Seriously.

Quote by METAL_MAN135
Your gear makes little difference when trying to emulate a sound. What, and HOW you play makes the biggest difference.

Previous statement retracted.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Worst argument ever. Seriously.

Previous statement retracted.

Debate harder. Try harder. Saying my argument is bad is ridiculous. At least state your opinion like an adult.

My argument is: Dime's tone was different and interesting 22 years ago. It didn't sound like your typical Marshall / Mesa metal tone that Metallica et al were using.

Is that so hard for you to understand?

It's hilarious how you guys crawled up my ass and bitched me out for saying what I did. Sometimes this site makes Metafilter seem tolerable.
Quote by iamcline
A State fan, eh? Aw lawd.

After the game this weekend it is hard not to be I am also kinda obligated, y'know being a student and all
Didn't think an actual 'debate' was necessary, but how's this:

Quote by Hup
Nearly everything else was a shitty black / death / thrash metal tone at that time.

That's completely false.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Hup
Debate harder. Try harder. Saying my argument is bad is ridiculous. At least state your opinion like an adult.

My argument is: Dime's tone was different and interesting 22 years ago. It didn't sound like your typical Marshall / Mesa metal tone that Metallica et al were using.

Is that so hard for you to understand?

It's hilarious how you guys crawled up my ass and bitched me out for saying what I did. Sometimes this site makes Metafilter seem tolerable.

First it was
Nearly everything else was a shitty black / death / thrash metal tone at that time.

Now its
It didn't sound like your typical Marshall / Mesa metal tone that Metallica et al were using.

No one was bitching you out for your opinion, we were just arguing, and now you're getting needlessly defensive and backtracking.

The first part of your argument was that 'most of us' weren't alive in 1990, which is irrelevant. Then you say that everyone's tone at that time sucked, which isn't true. Once you were called out on that you backtrack to 'dimes tone was different than everyone else'.

Normally I wouldn't break something down like this, but when you tell someone to debate harder and can't present a logical argument yourself I feel compelled.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
There were any amount of good tones out there 22 years ago - argument is invalid right off the bat. As somebody pointed out, Still got The Blues was on the radio ffs. Deep Purple were doing a reunion and Bad Religion were cranking out 21st Century Digital Boy.
So just
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not to mention that most of the 'holy grail' tones that people still seek today had already been done at that point...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Not to mention that most of the 'holy grail' tones.

Which are?
Clapton, Santana, SRV, Hendrix, Page, May, Beck, Duane Allman, Iommi, etc. are the ones that seem to pop up most often here. It really does seem that most of the 'holy grail' tones are quite a bit older than Dime's.
Quote by Hup
Which are?

Normally I don't pull the 'age card' but since you started it; you are aware that there was music before metal, right?

For someone whose argument is 'you are too young to understand' you seem to be overlooking quite a bit of music history.

Dimebag is a pimple on music history's ass, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible. Most people aren't lucky enough to even get to that point.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 9, 2012,
Quote by tubetime86
Normally I don't pull the 'age card' but since you started it; you are aware that there was music before metal, right?

For someone whose argument is 'you are too young to understand' you seem to be overlooking quite a bit of music history.

I "pulled" the age card? Get off it. You're operating under a pretty silly misunderstanding.

My intention was to compare Dime's tone at 1990 with other types of comparable "metal" up until that point. I wasn't thinking about The Beatles, or GnR, or Fleetwood Mac, or Prince. I was thinking 1990 Big 4 / Death / Black / etc.

Type O had the same thing going on, IMO. Pretty distinctive, fresh, interesting tone. I think it sounds pretty bad 20+ years later. Back then it was kinda cool.

I twice stated pretty clearly, Dime's tone sounded different. At least it did to me and my HS circle of friends. In 2012, there's a larger body of bands and superior tones to compare it to. To a 15 year old metalhead in 1990, there was not. Understand?
Keep digging. I hear the food's good in China - don't give up, you'll get there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Keep digging. I hear the food's good in China - don't give up, you'll get there.

Workin on it!
Quote by Hup
I "pulled" the age card? Get off it. You're operating under a pretty silly misunderstanding.

My intention was to compare Dime's tone at 1990 with other types of comparable "metal" up until that point. I wasn't thinking about The Beatles, or GnR, or Fleetwood Mac, or Prince. I was thinking 1990 Big 4 / Death / Black / etc.

Type O had the same thing going on, IMO. Pretty distinctive, fresh, interesting tone. I think it sounds pretty bad 20+ years later. Back then it was kinda cool.

I twice stated pretty clearly, Dime's tone sounded different. At least it did to me and my HS circle of friends. In 2012, there's a larger body of bands and superior tones to compare it to. To a 15 year old metalhead in 1990, there was not. Understand?

First of all, that wasn't your argument initially, or at least you didn't state it if it was. Second, this is a guitar discussion forum. We discuss guitar tones. We happen to be situated in the year 2012 at this point, so most discussions are relevant to that date. Lastly, the whole basis of this discussion is whether or not Dime's tone is desirable, not whether or not you and your circle of friends in high school thought it was.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i remember being 13 and thinking dime's tone was cool. take it easy on him guys.

For me it wasn't so much the tone but the overall rawness. Plus, his style reminded me of a more metal version of Gilbert. There's always something interesting and something to learn from guitarists who have become icons, even if you don't care for their music, IMO.

Are we even helping this kid find an amp anymore? Where's a mod?!
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Are we even helping this kid find an amp anymore? Where's a mod?!

Eating cream of broccoli soup...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
As for the age argument...

You can be a level (age) 60 Wizard. People will be afraid of you based off your level alone, but since you pumped Wisdom all those levels, and left your Intelligence alone, you don't know any spells, nah meen?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Dime's tone sucked.

End of story.

This isn't compared to today's tone, tone 40 years ago, or any tone at all.
All on it's own, Dime's tone was horrid.
It was thin, harsh, fizzy, and buzzy.
It sounded like a buzzsaw, and was not at all good.

Just because he was a good player doesn't mean he had a good tone.
Tone =/= playing ability
Page 2 of 2