Poll: What is your stance on abortion?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your stance on abortion?
Pro-Life
40 13%
Pro-Choice
230 73%
Pro-Catf*cking
43 14%
Voters: 313.
Page 5 of 7
Quote by willT08
They only care about human life whilst it's in the womb Todd. As soon as it's born to it's single mother most pro-lifers seem happy to taunt it as a leech on the welfare system's teat and a scourge to society.

Oh really? Shit, I was acting on the assumption that at least some semblance of rational thinking had crossed their minds. Damn!
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by whywefight
Exactly. That's the worst argument ever. Pro-lifers argue life begins with fertilization.

Tell that to Arizona and possibly some other states
Quote by SGstriker
I am going to explain my stance on this, then calmly obtain a flame-shield and wear said flame-shield like a fire-retardant condom...

I am pro-life. My argument isn't religious. It isn't even really whether or not the fetus is living or not. It is simply this: Think of a special person in your life. A relative, a friend, a significant other...now think about how you'd feel if that person had been aborted. If they "never existed" in your life.

That's my view. I'm sticking to it. End of story.

The thought makes me sad, but in reality I wouldn't be sad to not know them, because they never existed for me to miss them.

lol 12 percent of the pit is pro-life
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

Not even since I picked it to **** with the poll/
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by willT08
You contend that a bundle of animal cells with no consciousness, brain or self-awareness is equal to you?

mmhmm
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
plus the people who I mentioned earlier that don't know the difference between being not personally for abortion and pro-life
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Tell that to Arizona and possibly some other states

The thought makes me sad, but in reality I wouldn't be sad to not know them, because they never existed for me to miss them.

A lower proportion than are pro-catf*cking.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I voted pro-life, cause I feel bad for those who are as they'll probably be the minority.

Although on the surface I am conservative, which means I'm better than everyone else including you. Just remember that at heart I am liberal, which means I'm better than everyone else including you.

That's how divided this thread's going to be.
Quote by c3powil
mmhmm

Never go full retard
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Never go full retard

It's my opinion
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
It's my opinion

Opinions can be wrong. Especially when it comes to making your opinion the law (which I'm not saying you're doing, but many are trying to).
It should be used very sparingly. If two teens **** and the girl gets pregnant, too bad kid. You should know the consequences of your actions. If a woman gets raped and as a result she gets pregnant, she should have the right in that situation to have an abortion.
Quote by Todd Hart
Pro-lifers who aren't vegans: hypocrites?
Pro-choicers who oppose the death penalty: hypocrites?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Shotgunmerc
It should be used very sparingly. If two teens **** and the girl gets pregnant, too bad kid. You should know the consequences of your actions. If a woman gets raped and as a result she gets pregnant, she should have the right in that situation to have an abortion.

I agree, people should be punished for the rest of the life for their mistakes, and the best way to this is to create another person whose sole purpose is to serve as a reminder of that mistake and act as a strain on their lives until the die.

Quote by element4433

No, because one is killing a person, the other is killing a bundle of cells that has less sentience than mucus.
Quote by element4433

I'm not sure I follow. Unless you weren't being serious or I'm missing something, in which case ignore me.
Humans are bundles of cells too. And if you did something worthy of the death penalty, have you really maintained your humanity?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Humans are bundles of cells too. And if you did something worthy of the death penalty, have you really maintained your humanity?

Humans are bundles of cells with sentience, fetuses aren't. If you have gangrene in your finger then you have it amputated, you don't consider whether or not the cells of that finger are really human. Likewise, if you have a fetus that will become a child and ruin your life by being a strain on you due to your age/condition the like then you abort it.

And who's to say that killing someone means you lose your humanity? And if you do kill someone for killing someone then surely the executioner should be killed, as should his/her executioner, and his/her executioner and so on and so forth.
It's a woman's right to decide what happens to her body.

I actually got in the newspaper for a letter to the editor because a Bishop was condemming a catholic hospital for giving an abortion in order to save the life of a mother, who already had 4 kids.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/opinion/article_ce5193fe-6267-11e1-a453-001871e3ce6c.html

Oh grumpy old men...
Last edited by CodChick at Oct 9, 2012,
Quote by element4433
Humans are bundles of cells too.

With added sentience, self-awareness and consciousness. The two are barely analagous. A clump of mould and a fetus share more than a fetus and me.

And if you did something worthy of the death penalty, have you really maintained your humanity?

What do you think is worthy of the death penalty?

EDIT: Todd, rather than both of us argue I'm gonna leave you to it so element doesn't have to respond to two people saying by and large the same thing Gonna have a shower and see where you guys get to.
Last edited by willT08 at Oct 9, 2012,
Quote by Todd Hart
Humans are bundles of cells with sentience, fetuses aren't. If you have gangrene in your finger then you have it amputated, you don't consider whether or not the cells of that finger are really human. Likewise, if you have a fetus that will become a child and ruin your life by being a strain on you due to your age/condition the like then you abort it.

And who's to say that killing someone means you lose your humanity? And if you do kill someone for killing someone then surely the executioner should be killed, as should his/her executioner, and his/her executioner and so on and so forth.
So dogs are sentient, so they're human. Dolphins are sentient and very intelligent, so they're human. Tacos aren't sentient, so they aren't humans.

Got it!

There's also a difference between killing and murder. They aren't the same thing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by CodChick
It's a woman's right to decide what happens to her body.

I actually got in the newspaper for a letter to the editor because a Bishop was condemming a catholic hospital for giving an abortion in order to save the life of a mother, who already had 4 kids.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/opinion/article_ce5193fe-6267-11e1-a453-001871e3ce6c.html

Oh grumpy old men...

i'd kill a 5 year old to save an adult, a fetus is like a yawn
Quote by element4433
So dogs are sentient, so they're human. Dolphins are sentient and very intelligent, so they're human. Tacos aren't sentient, so they aren't humans.

Got it!

There's also a difference between killing and murder. They aren't the same thing.

I laughed.
Quote by willT08
With added sentience, self-awareness and consciousness. The two are barely analagous. A clump of mould and a fetus share more than a fetus and me.

What do you think is worthy of the death penalty?

EDIT: Todd, rather than both of us argue I'm gonna leave you to it so element doesn't have to respond to two people saying by and large the same thing Gonna have a shower and see where you guys get to.
I'm anti-death penalty. And pro-legal abortion.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

The Star Trek: TNG clip on whether or not Data, an android, is sentient or not may be relevant here. Of course it's quite different in terms of subject matter, but maybe relateable.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by element4433
I'm anti-death penalty. And pro-legal abortion.

Cool. But you're arguing the other side for the time being so there's no need for you to respond to a gang of people saying the same stuff.
Quote by element4433

Got it!

I didn't say sentience made something human, I said humans are (generally) sentient. Foetuses aren't.

However, the point I was originally making is that it's hypocritical to believe that killing animals is fine but that killing even less sentient creatures simply because they are born of humans is wrong, because it places humans on a pedestal that they don't deserve. Plus, if you think that destroying a foetus is wrong simply because it's human then undergoing treatment for cancer is equally wrong, because that's just as human and just as non-sentient as a foetus is.

Quote by captaincrunk
i'd kill a 5 year old to save an adult, a fetus is like a yawn

This man, as usual, gets it.
So are braindead people humans? Or worthless clusters of cells?

Also, cows aren't people.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433

I support pulling the plug. Consistency, consistency
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by element4433

Also, cows aren't people.

They're not clusters of cells, since they have discrete tissues and organs.
But once brain death occurs, they aren't really people anymore. That's the mental disconnect that will allow me to slaughter legions of zombies, when the time comes.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
They're not clusters of cells, since they have discrete tissues and organs.
But once brain death occurs, they aren't really people anymore. That's the mental disconnect that will allow me to slaughter legions of zombies, when the time comes.
Organs and tissues are clusters of cells.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

The fact of the matter when it come to abortion is if you view life to begin at conception then abortion is murder. However most people in western society (due to modern medicine, stem cells etc.) don't view the fetus as being a person, therefore abortion is not an issue. I personally am not sure if I consider a fetus to be human and I put the burden of proof on those who claim the fetus is not a human being. Therefore I do not support abortion on those grounds - a woman (or man) should not any legal choice when it murder.

However there are a great number of people that look at abortion as a means to sexual promiscuity, i.e. if you have sex a lot abortion, removes the risk of unwanted pregnancy thus allowing "unlimited" sex. A large number of conservatives that oppose abortion do so because of perceived sexual abuses as a culture due to abortion being legal.

This in my mind opens up a new discussion about what healthy sexual intercourse looks like. As far as mainstream culture is concerned (as far as I can tell from the outside) sex is primarily a vehicle of personal gratification - to "feel good." From the perspective of the Christian Church it is something that is taboo and shameful that we don't talk about and avoid at all costs. In my mind both of these views are far from healthy.

Edit: I will also that if it turns out that whether or not a fetus is considered to be a human being is merely a question of theology/philosophy then the responsibility of the government (in a democracy) is to protect the freedoms of its people, not the religious ideology of the majority religion. At this point I don't think we can make that assumption quite yet.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Last edited by Silent Ranger at Oct 9, 2012,
Pro-choice does not mean pro-abortion.

Pro-choice respects the pregnant woman's ability to decide what is the best course of action. Pro-choice recognises that a pregnant woman has a right to be able to remove an unwanted foetus from her body and that there should always be a safe option for women to do so. Pro-choice does not give more rights to a bundle of cells than a woman with a family and friends, who is part of society. Pro-choice supports a woman's decision to keep the baby, give the baby up for adoption, or terminate it before it becomes a baby.

Pro-choice also supports access to contraception which prevents pregnancy happening in the first place. Abortion is NOT a form of contraception, it does not prevent a baby from being conceived.

Pro-choice doesn't condemn women for enjoying sex.

One less child in the foster system is not a bad thing.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Oct 9, 2012,
I'm pro-choice.

But I understand the concerns of pro-lifers. As a compromise I support the laws (I know France and a few others have these laws) which allow abortions until 12 weeks have passed since conception. It also makes sense because I believe that is around the time the nervous system begins to develop (I could be wrong here).
Thanks for the help Pit! Ironically enough, the pro-lifers are out today with giant posters of aborted 10 and 11 week old fetuses since Obama's speaking here a little later.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Quote by shavorules42
Thanks for the help Pit! Ironically enough, the pro-lifers are out today with giant posters of aborted 10 and 11 week old fetuses since Obama's speaking here a little later.

They're more than likely images of miscarried foetuses much older than 11 weeks. I did see an image circulating of an apparent foetus that had been aborted by "saline" showing the "chemical burns" it had suffered.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Silent Ranger
However there are a great number of people that look at abortion as a means to sexual promiscuity, i.e. if you have sex a lot abortion, removes the risk of unwanted pregnancy thus allowing "unlimited" sex.

dude what
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT