Page 1 of 4
If you were to have a perfect girlfriend/boyfriend, what would his/her music taste be like? Does it matter? Would she like Rush just like Fassa? Is Liking Lil' Wayne sexy?

EDIT: Personally she would find the stuff I listen to listenable. None of the music that goes on the radio though except maybe Mumford and Sons
Last edited by yoman297 at Oct 9, 2012,
She'd be able to listen to what I like and enjoy it, but be an individual and have her own tastes as well.
I ****ing hate Rush. I canceled my XM subscription because the assclown on Ozzy's Boneyard plays that band every ****ing day, multiple times per ****ing day for ****'s sake god ****ing damn it.

My perfect gf would listen to no music at all.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Some of the same stuff I like, but she can have her own tastes. As long as there is no auto tune.
It would be Rush. But female Rush fans are as rare as unicorns. Hence why they are considered "Geddycorns"
She needs to have a taste similar to mine, but still of her own.
You know, some bands that i don't really know/like here and there....
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
As long as she likes The Beatles it's alright.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
She can listen to whatever she wants as long as she's not really annoying about and doesn't care what I listen to.

^ Also that obviously
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 9, 2012,
I honestly look for girls who have similar music tastes to me. Hence why I haven't had many girlfriends

But, on that same token, I've never met a girl who listens to Pink Floyd that I don't like.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Yeah the dream would be similar to mine yet still different and classy. It would be so awesome to have a girl introduce me to a great artist I actually love on my own.
She needs to have similar tastes to me or at least acknowledge the existence of such tastes.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by Kensai
As long as she likes The Beatles it's alright.

Pretty sure it's illegal for you to date children.
Quote by due 07

I serenaded my girlfriend with St. Of My <3 once.

Her: Who was that by?
Me: The Death Panels.
Her: I thought so.. *sigh*
Quote by due 07

Don't you like the Beatles?

Or are they to "pleb" now or something?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by due 07

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by whoomit

When I find a girl I just want her to be able to enjoy rock n' roll. That's all I can ask for but everything beyond that is a bonus.
Does Fassa still exist?

s/he was one of my favourite trolls
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
She'd like stuff like this

And baby, I can't hold it much longer
It's getting stronger and stronger
And when I get that feeling
I want Sexual Healing
Sexual Healing, oh baby
Makes me feel so fine
Helps to relieve my mind
Sexual Healing baby, is good for me
My perfect girlfriend would sit around, drink cheap beer, and listen to Baroness and Red Fang with me.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
she can listen to whatever she wants as long as shes not annoying about it
im sure shed show me some bands and id show her some
if shes not completely cosed minded im sure wed end up liking some similar bands which we then woud go to concerts of

oh also if she dislikes my bands...thats just a nono
I can handle different tastes provided it is consistent. My last girlfriend pretty much only listened to what was on the Hot 100, and once a song goes off of it then it was, "So yesterday's news"

Once I hear a song or an artist I like I cling to them from now on and go back to them from time to time, but she just used them like toilet paper. Shit used to burn me up for some reason.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Taste in music is very important to me.

My last girlfriend actually introduced me to a lot of post-rock and drone (some hardstyle too). In theory she was perfect.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
I will marry any girl that's into Coheed & Cambria without asking her name.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
I don't care what my perfect girlfriend listens to. I don't base attraction on musical taste.

Girls who like obscure bands are almost always annoying, by the way.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
I don't care what my perfect girlfriend listens to. I don't base attraction on musical taste.

Girls who like obscure bands are almost always annoying, by the way.

Nice contradiction
I think it's hilarious that half the posts in this thread state that they dont care about music tastes....except they have to be in to this or cannot listen to that.

my lady introduced me to bands such as NIN, Pink Floyd (other than dark side), rush, radiohead, jack white, and many others. she listens to what she likes. I do the same.
Quote by capsfan17
you think girls are confusing, try eating a refrigirator, now that was confusing
If you need your SO to like the same music as you you're probably a narcissistic ass. It doesn't matter to me
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Oct 9, 2012,
Quote by Saint78

this is a hypothetical game, you don't have to take the high ground.

same goes for fail above me.
Quote by Tragic Mulatto
Nice contradiction

Wasn't a contradiction. I stereotyped girls who listen to obscure bands. Didn't say I couldn't be attracted to them. If I'm physically attracted to someone, I couldn't care less what they listen to.

EDIT: ^ im a rule breaker so what
you're a stone fox
Quote by Eastwinn

Thank you. I left the thread, then came back just to post something along the lines of what you did... and you phrased it better.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by Saint78
Wasn't a contradiction. I stereotyped girls who listen to obscure bands. Didn't say I couldn't be attracted to them. If I'm physically attracted to someone, I couldn't care less what they listen to.

It wasn't clear that you meant physical attraction
Quote by whoomit

Quote by WCPhils
Don't you like the Beatles?

Or are they to "pleb" now or something?

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.
In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated african rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). THat phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Fours'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.

Anyway, my ideal qt gf's fav artists would be Sleater-Kinney and A$AP Rocky.
Quote by Eastwinn

If I don't care either way, how am I supposed to answer?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by fail
If I don't care either way, how am I supposed to answer?

To what music does your imaginary ideal bf listen? Or if it bugs you that much, you don't have to answer. It is not that hard a concept.
Quote by JustRooster
Thank you. I left the thread, then came back just to post something along the lines of what you did... and you phrased it better.

it's a common thing among threads like this. we people are attracted to each other for reasons we may not be proud of. we will filter our perception of ourself, our self-concept, in order to make it match the ideals we hold everyone else to (such as not basing attraction on body size or music tastes or whatever) or else face cognitive dissonance.

just some basic cognitive psychology. hopefully someone who knows more than i do can point me to a term that describes this... adjusting our self-concept to match the expectations we hold of other people.
Page 1 of 4