Page 1 of 2
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Hello Pitgoers,

I finally got my diploma (BSc today) after having ordered it in June (they wanted to wait till enough were done with it or something), and I noticed that on my grade list they also note what the Dutch grade equivalent would be in international grades.

In the Netherlands it's a 10 point grading scheme, if you do 10% wrong you get a 9 etc. Now it appears that what is for us an 8 or even a 7.5, is still an A for the USA. Now I always thought that A's were like great grades in the USA, but this is nothing more than decent. Wikipedia says that an A+ is an 8.5 in the Dutch grading scheme.

So I find it very strange that you can do 15% wrong and still get the highest grade available Do you people think that the USA grading scheme is flawed in that sense?

edit: Also bitch about your countries grading scheme.

Editedit. Never mind. My basic assumption was that the American exams were at the same level. They are much easier. that's why the system is like it is.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Oct 10, 2012,
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
It depends on the difficulty of the examination method.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by Todd Hart
It depends on the difficulty of the examination method.

Lets say all universities have (approximately) the same level. Than in the USA you can't distinguish between someone who is not good, but a very hard worker and someone who is a genius.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
AeolianSeventh
Sperm Whale Messiah
52 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Hello Pitgoers,

I finally got my diploma (BSc today) after having ordered it in June (they wanted to wait till enough were done with it or something), and I noticed that on my grade list they also note what the Dutch grade equivalent would be in international grades.

In the Netherlands it's a 10 point grading scheme, if you do 10% wrong you get a 9 etc. Now it appears that what is for us an 8 or even a 7.5, is still an A for the USA. Now I always thought that A's were like great grades in the USA, but this is nothing more than decent. Wikipedia says that an A+ is an 8.5 in the Dutch grading scheme.

So I find it very strange that you can do 15% wrong and still get the highest grade available Do you people think that the USA grading scheme is flawed in that sense?

At my college a 90% or higher is an A. 75% would be a C. So...not sure what you're talking about.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by AeolianSeventh
At my college a 90% or higher is an A. 75% would be a C. So...not sure what you're talking about.

I'm talking about what international organisations think that is happening at USA schools.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
I've never heard of an 85 being an A

It's usually;

98-100 = A+
93-97 = A
90-92 = A-

Or something like that. Those numbers might be a little off, but usually an A is a 90 or above.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
I've never heard of an 85 being an A

It's usually;

98-100 = A+
93-97 = A
90-92 = A-

Or something like that. Those numbers might be a little off, but usually an A is a 90 or above.

How is the 98-100 calculated? Is it 2 mistakes or is it best 2% of the people?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
AeolianSeventh
Sperm Whale Messiah
52 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I'm talking about what international organisations think that is happening at USA schools.

My failure to be an international organization has finally turned against me.

Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by AeolianSeventh
My failure to be an international organization has finally turned against me.

No seriously, it confused me and at the same time made me feel better about myself.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,036 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
How is the 98-100 calculated? Is it 2 mistakes or is it best 2% of the people?

We generally don't have curved grades here. Questions/assignments/tests are given points and the points you get out of total points will give you your grade.
666atheist666
xX.SirenSong.Xx
Rustled Jimmies
263 IQ
at my high school in BC, Canada, it went like this..
90-100 = A+
85-89.99 = A
80-84.00 = A-
76-79.99 = B+
72-75.99 = B
68-71.99 = B-
64-67.99 = C+
60-63.99 = C
55-59.99 = C-
50-54.99 = D
0-49.99 = I (Incomplete/Temporary); usually given at midterm to show youre failing, but with a chance to turn it around/fix it
0-49.99 = F (Fail), given at the end of the term/semester/whatever if you were unable to turn your I around
twitter: @ljg35

Xbox Live (CoD MW3, Halo 4, NHL 13): ljg 01 Adler
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan
We generally don't have curved grades here. Questions/assignments/tests are given points and the points you get out of total points will give you your grade.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But then why would an 8 average in the Netherlands count as an A when applying for an American university?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,036 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yeah, that's what I thought. But then why would an 8 average in the Netherlands count as an A when applying for an American university?

Because we feel sorry for you
666atheist666
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan

+1
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
238 IQ
It's up to the school district in the US. In mine 92-100% is an A, 82-90 is a B and so on. A district right by me is 94-100 = A, sounds awful.
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-
104 IQ
I'm confused. My school works on total points (how many you got over total points for all assignments). There are no A+'s here. In high school it was the same way. The only curved grading I've ever had was when I took the SATs.

We use:
A is 93+
A- = 92-90
B+ = 89-87
B = 86-84
B- = 83-80
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
It's up to the school district in the US. In mine 92-100 is an A, 82-90 is a B and so on. A district right by me is 94-100 = A, that would be awful.

Apparently in the research they took that into account and tried to correct for "simple" exams and got those grades out.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
sacamano79
Fighter of the Nightman
2,222 IQ
The opposite situation happened when I applied to attend a Japanese University. On their scale an A counted as an S, and a B also counted as an S. So my GPA went from a 3.2 to a 3.8 just because of some weird grade conversion.

In the US in general, 90%+ is an A, and we do not usually grade on a curve.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Oct 10, 2012,
AeolianSeventh
Sperm Whale Messiah
52 IQ
This is all pretty interesting, in a bizarre way. The only grading scheme I'm familiar with is:

90-100 = A
80-89 = B
70-79 = C (lowest passing grade)
60-69 = D
0-59 = F

All percentages. The only form of grading curve we ever have is that sometimes, some merciful teachers, if they see that not one person made an A, might bump everyone up a letter grade. It's never happened in any of my classes, but I've heard the legends.

That's college, though, I don't know about high school grades.

Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by AeolianSeventh
This is all pretty interesting, in a bizarre way. The only grading scheme I'm familiar with is:

90-100 = A
80-89 = B
60-69 = D
0-59 = F

All percentages. The only form of grading curve we ever have is that sometimes, some merciful teachers, if they see that not one person made an A, might bump everyone up a letter grade. It's never happened in any of my classes, but I've heard the legends.

That's college, though, I don't know about high school grades.

Than the only thing I can think of is that American exams are easier.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
238 IQ
Quote by AeolianSeventh

Really? I've always known a D to be passing, just really badly and barely.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
The fact that all of you guys have different kinds of rules for these grades, says enough really. There's no standard at all in the USA.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
AeolianSeventh
Sperm Whale Messiah
52 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Than the only thing I can think of is that American exams are easier.

Could be. If I knew any Dutch students I'd ask. I know the Indian students say that our lower-level classes are easier and upper-level classes harder, while the students from the UK say the classes are just hellish deathtorture. The Chinese students seem the find it all about the same. The one Saudi Arabian guy I've met says the maths and sciences here are the same, the humanities are harder. I've never spoken to any of the Korean students, because every single one I've met has been SUPER shy.

Apparently the Illuminati New World Order is taking its sweet damn time with standardizing education.

Bad Kharmel
167 IQ
At the university level, the grading system is usually the standard ten point thing, but professors can choose to deviate from it and have any grading system they choose
ironman1478
1,910 IQ
the grading schemes probably look funny because many mid/upper division classes in US colleges are curved. so if you are comparing the percentages for certain grade requirements across countries, those are the results you will see.

edit: also it wouldnt make sense for american universities to have standard grading schemes because many have a different curriculum for the same program. not only that, but professors who teach the same class at the same university might have different requirements for an A since they give different tests, some of which are harder, therefore the curves are different.
Last edited by ironman1478 at Oct 10, 2012,
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino
271 IQ
In my university (Strathclyde in Glasgow), anything above 70% is usually a First (the top grade), with 40% being the passing grade. This is the same as most UK universities.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by solo_freak
In my university (Strathclyde in Glasgow), anything above 70% is usually a First (the top grade), with 40% being the passing grade. This is the same as most UK universities.

This sounds even worse.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino
271 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
This sounds even worse.

According to Wiki, a First is the equivalent of an American 4.00 GPA.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Then the only possible solution that remains is that Dutch and english exams are more difficult.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled
278 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Then the only possible solution that remains is that Dutch and english exams are more difficult.
Or that your grade list from your shit-tier university is inaccurate.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11

Um...what? In the USA, an A+ is like over 95% correct. An A is between 90% and 95% correct. B = between 80% & 89&. C = between 70% & 79%. And so on. I'm fairly certain that wikipedia is wrong on this, because I've never heard of a case where a student gets an 85% and gets an A+.

Quote by RU Experienced?

I would go with this. US universities still remain highly respected, on the international level. Your grade list is just inaccurate.

Although, I won't go so far as to call your university "shit-tier", because I'm sure that it's not.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 10, 2012,
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by RU Experienced?

It is on Wikipedia too :p, with links to actual research. you guys were my samples that confirm it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
Quote by solo_freak

Yeah at my Uni (Portsmouth), its the same as that. In Mechanical Engineering, i struggle to get into the 50's/60's Thats down to pretty average teaching, hard subjects which make little sense 70% of the time and that all gets topped off with my brain being as absorbant as a brick.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Oct 10, 2012,
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um...what? In the USA, an A+ is like over 95% correct. An A is between 90% and 95% correct. B = between 80% & 89&. C = between 70% & 79%. And so on. I'm fairly certain that wikipedia is wrong on this, because I've never heard of a case where a student gets an 85% and gets an A+.

No it says our 8 or 80% are equal to American A's. Maybe not that American 80% are A's. It makes a lot of sense. I get it now.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
theknuckster
me
483 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
you can't distinguish between someone who is not good, but a very hard worker and someone who is a genius.

i'm pretty certain that's impossible to do with any exam at all