Ultima117
1,073 IQ
These amps have really peaked my interest lately (thanks Dave!). And so I emailed Doug at Jet city about the 22 and 50 and he said they have the exact same preamp setup. The only difference between the two is wattage and the poweramps. He said the 50 has 6l6 to give better headroom, but will basically give you the same tone as the 22.... gain wise too.

I told him I'm a huge fan of a7x and he said that zacky actually uses the 22 combo for recording and home use and only the 100's live.

I thought this info was good/interesting for people lookin into Jet citys or a7x fans, so I wanted to share (:
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

J_W
65 IQ
They are cool amps. I have the single channel 20 head and like it, I want to get the 2 channel though. There is no clean though right?
Ultima117
1,073 IQ
Kind of....since its lower wattage and with el84s it will break up much quicker, so you just need less gain and roll guitar knobs back some, its technically called a crunch channel, but its possible to get cleans. If you want loud pristine cleans he said get the 50 cause of the headroom though.
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i wouldn't say the 50 has pristine cleans either. it's basically an overdrive channel and a heavier overdrive channel, if you ask me. Now... it cleans up pretty well with the guitar's volume for an OD channel. But it's still an od channel. Even with the gain more or less as low as it'll go, there's still some dirt there- i don't think it's much to do with how much headroom/wattage the amp has, just the channel isn't really designed for cleans.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

J_W
65 IQ
Quote by Ultima117
Kind of....since its lower wattage and with el84s it will break up much quicker, so you just need less gain and roll guitar knobs back some, its technically called a crunch channel, but its possible to get cleans. If you want loud pristine cleans he said get the 50 cause of the headroom though.

Is the lower gain channel on the JCA22 the same as the JCA20's single channel?

I can only get a sort of decent low volume clean out of the single channel JC20, anything louder and it's getting dirty.
Ultima117
1,073 IQ
Hmm, not sure. I just asked Doug about the 22 and 50. I bet he'd be more than happy to help you out though if you shot him an email. He got back to me in like 2 hours and was really cool.....I was really surprised.
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
cheapr2keepr
123 IQ
I have the JCA20, just a single channel. I plan on getting a 22 sometime so I can have 5 12ax7's instead of 3, and also a clean channel.

I thought about the 50 head, but with my 20 it does just fine keeping up with drums, etc. running it through a 16 ohm 2x12. I've never yet had it up over the mid point on the volume with the gain on max. I mic my cab into the mixer/PA.

I have yet to physically try out a 22 head because I can never find a local shop that stocks 'em. If I could, I would easily consider trading my 20 for a 22.

Great info. I love what Jet City has done.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by cheapr2keepr
I have the JCA20, just a single channel. I plan on getting a 22 sometime so I can have 5 12ax7's instead of 3, and also a clean channel.

as i said, don't bank on it actually being a clean channel.
Quote by classicrocker01

JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
Cool, I kinda like A7X too. Their tones are pretty nice as well. Good info!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz