bobafettacheese
100 IQ
I am looking at buying another guitar, mainly looking at the Yamaha SBG/SG series. I have been GASing over these for a while now. I am looking to spend roughly $200-300 USD. Definitely going the used route. I might be able to stretch the budget a little. Currently building an explorer so not wanting to go overboard.

Any info you can give me on the various series (i.e.-200, 500, 500B, 700, 800, etc.) What to look for or stay away from. Also what other guitars would be relative to the SBG/SG that would fit in the budget.

Thanks!
Gibson-DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Ibanez RG570, Ibanez rg1550m, Fender HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, Peavey 5150, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
T7E
All smiles :)
50 IQ
I don't think it is going to be easy to find one at that price point at all man I'm sorry. Maybe a fairly beat up one or some kind of starter model type deal but they are highly regarded guitars and I don't think that's a realistic price bracket. Sorry man, still give ebay a shot just in case, though. You never know.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
The 200 model isnt mahogany and maple. So assuming you want a more traditional version I'd rule that one out.

I would also avoid any bolt on models. I think the 500b is a bolt on neck.

Those two aside I dont think you can go wrong. They dont come up used as much as other guitars so you have to look around. Or put a wtb (wanted to buy) ad up locally to you.

What is your location? Ah Ohio, put up an add on craigslist. Assuming you go for a 500 model you may need to stretch your budget a little.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 11, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
The SBG500b was made in Taiwan too iirc and yes it was a bolt on. The SBG500 is a real MIJ set neck affair, mine cost $700 in Australia.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification