Page 1 of 2
hey everyone
i recently had a discussion with my father of which style guitar i should buy, i had planned on buying a jackson king V KVXT, but he thought it would be fabulous to put the idea into by head that flying V's are out of style, we continued to discuss this, and i am now here to post a question for everyone... are Flying V's, Kelly's, and Rhodes etc. out of style??? and FYI 90% of the music i play is heavy metal, and metal core
i would appreciate a response on whether or not i am out of style, or if my dad is and is just messing with me
He's pretty obviously messing with you. That, or he's out of style.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
There really is not a shape that you can say is in style. Everyone just kind of does what ever now though will you find some that are more common than other styles such as super strat shapes like ibanez and the classic les paul shapes. It all just comes down to what you would prefer, guitars are not a fashion statement, they are a tool.
Get whatever you like, who cares if it's in 'style.' Be the one to bring it back.

And it's not like Vs are even uncommon, anyway.
West Ham United
I think you should consider if a flying V is comfortable for you to play more than if it's 'out of style'.

Don't buy a guitar only because it looks good, buy it if it sounds good and feels comfortable for you.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by King Donkey
Get whatever you like, who cares if it's in 'style.' Be the one to bring it back.

And it's not like Vs are even uncommon, anyway.

Probably the best quote ever.
V's have been around for 50 some years. People STILL play them, in and out of metal.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
I personally don't like to play Vs or other pointy guitars- they are uncomfortable to me- but I think they're cool as hell. If you like it and you feel comfy playing one, go for it!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by OP-IVY
Get whatever you want. Metalcore is always gonna be shit.

KSE and Shadows Fall and old All That Remains are good :<
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
If you think it's cool, it is cool. If someone tells you it isn't, well to each their own.
I think anyone who focuses on style when they're buying a guitar are buying a guitar for the wrong ****in reason.

If you have a legitimate concern that a guitar is out of style, play for a few more years. Understand your instrument is not a fashion accessory.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

In style or out of style doesn't mean anything any more. Half of the stuff that's in style now is in because it's retro or incinsere, which just means it wasn't in style. Being out of style is cool now.

Basically we found a loophole that lets you do whatever you want and still be hip.
kick him in the nuts.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I don't think any of the V shaped guitars were every really in style.

And I would never buy a guitar based on style or what's cool.
Quote by gregs1020
kick him in the nuts.

Always in style!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by CrazyPigeon
No, your dad clearly has sense. The only "nice" flying-V is the original Gibson one.

Ugh I hate the Gibson V. It just doesn't look right to me having rounded edges on what is really a pointy guitar by nature. Plus I don't dig the headstock.

That right there is a sexy V, would be better to me without the Floyd but meh. Personally I only like Vs as novelty guitars.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Oct 13, 2012,
V's are like diamonds, eternal
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Style is subjective. For me, flying v's and weird pointy guitars are lame as fuck, but they might not be for you or someone else. If you like it get it, not everyone is going to like the guitar you buy, all that matters is that you do.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
neat to look at. uncomfortable as hell to play for any length of time. just try sitting down and playing it for 5 minutes. not bad if your standing but, are you gonna spend eternity standing? most of your time with it will be seated practice/jamming.
if it were a conversation piece on my wall, i'd get one. playabiity? i couldn't find it comfortable. if you care more about how people see you play vs. how they hear you play... by all means... get one.
Quote by stepchildusmc
most of your time with it will be seated practice/jamming.

you practice sitting down most of the time?

i do occasionally but it's good to practice the way you will be playing. plenty of players perform sitting down though so if that's what you do, cool.

i find V guitars very comfortable to sit with. people doing it wrong.

this is how you sit with a V. (that's not me)

this guy sat like that with a les paul all the time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 13, 2012,
usually i'm sitting. ( still recovering from injuries sustained a little while ago that keep me from spending a whole lot of time on my feet). i spend most playing time on acoustics. appreciate the free tip, in a few years when completely healed, i might just take you up on it.
Quote by gregs1020

this guy sat like that with a les paul all the time.

That is how I sit with all guitars.
Your dad's a knob. All parents are, especially when they know shit about guitars.

I almost bought a mint 1986 Ibby Roadster, with an edge yesterday for 200 bucks, but the account holder of the bidding website I'm on told me it was ugly, and wasn't better than a shitty chinese strat. As such, I couldn't get a bid on, and some lucky bugger bought it for less that 200 bucks.
Quote by bmwhitfield95
hey everyone
i recently had a discussion with my father of which style guitar i should buy, i had planned on buying a jackson king V KVXT, but he thought it would be fabulous to put the idea into by head that flying V's are out of style, we continued to discuss this, and i am now here to post a question for everyone... are Flying V's, Kelly's, and Rhodes etc. out of style??? and FYI 90% of the music i play is heavy metal, and metal core
i would appreciate a response on whether or not i am out of style, or if my dad is and is just messing with me

Any many who dares say these are out of style obviously doesn't understand style.
Honestly though just buy what you like the look of and **** everyone else. I play B.C.Rich's pointiest guitars, people on here think they look ridiculous for the most part but I think they are beautiful and will continue to use what I like regardless because its MY guitar, not theirs.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by bmwhitfield95
hey everyone

He's an idiot.
Quote by OP-IVY
Metalcore is always gonna be shit.

Listen to Sylosis. Then tell me it'll always be shit.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 13, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
He's an idiot.

Listen to Sylosis. Then tell me it'll always be shit.

You had me until the first thing out of the singers mouth was "wwwwrrrraaaahhhhhhhrrrhaaahhhh"
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Viban
You had me until the first thing out of the singers mouth was "wwwwrrrraaaahhhhhhhrrrhaaahhhh"

So you're going to just call the band shit after listening to it for 20 seconds?

Anyway, its going off-topic.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 13, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So you're going to just call the band shit after listening to it for 20 seconds?

Anyway, its going off-topic.

I like words and lyrics, screaming just gives me a freaking headache like no other.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
My take after I listened to Sylosis' "Empyreal" and "After Lifeless Years": the band has an overall style that reminds me of metal from the 1990s, except the vocals. The lead vocalist screams 90% of the time (more intelligibly than most screamers) and sings 10% of the time. His voice isn't that bad for metal- he should exchange those percentages.

I had a dean V a long time ago, it would be worth a lot now. I wouldn't get another V though. Much prefer a strat style. The upper fret access can be great on some of them though.
I use to have a Douglas RR copy, was probably one of the most comfortable guitars I have ever played while sitting down. The biggest reason I got rid of it was because it was so big *length wise* that I kept smacking the headstock and the upper wing on everything.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Oct 14, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Listen to Sylosis.

Thank you! I watched a video of theirs on youtube months ago and couldn't remember who they were.

I don't like metalcore or any of the "cores", and I don't usually like that screaming/growling singing style, but that guy is bad-ass.

Edit: I'm talking about the current singer.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 14, 2012,
^You, get out, Rhodes style V's will never go out of style, the big fin is just fantastic.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Just to clarify.

Rhodes:

Rhoads:

That should settle the confusion.

Also, as for your dad TS. Don't worry about it. If you like Vs then you should get one. He isn't play it. You are.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Oct 14, 2012,
Page 1 of 2