^that says it all. Budget it < $500. I'm Aussie so things are generally a bit more expensive here.

I need something that still sounds nice on low volume (practice), but can still go loud (not necessarily for gigging, just loud to play when the neighbours are out).

These are the best ones I've found thus far:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/blackstar-ht-series-ht-5r-tube-guitar-combo-amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-valveking-112-combo-amp
VHT: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vht-special-6-ultra-6w-1x12-hand-wired-tube-guitar-combo-amp -- low gain
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-vypyr-30-30w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp -- 60W Tube variant available ~+$300

I don't NEED the effects, just something that is versatile in the heavy metal genre. I play lots of August Burns Red, For Today, Architects, etc.

EDIT: If I can get the amp cheap enough, I'm thinking of getting some SD Blackouts. Pretty much, is a $500 amp + stock passive pickups going to perform better than a $400 amp + Blackouts?
Last edited by Ryzaar at Oct 13, 2012,
i would not suggest the vht because it is not a high gain amp, and wont do any of the bands you listed. for versatility the peavey vypyr is the best amp from those you listed
Quote by danielbang
i would not suggest the vht because it is not a high gain amp, and wont do any of the bands you listed. for versatility the peavey vypyr is the best amp from those you listed

Ah great, thanks for letting me know!

Quote by Beezerk
How much are Vypyr Tube amps second hand down your way?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-vypyr-tube-60-60w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp

Still within budget new, supposed to be a much better amp than the ss version although I ain't heard one myself.

Believe it or not, I JUST found out about that tube variant moments ago. Definitely will look down that path if I can find one cheap, I've heard great things about tube amps, just never found any within budget!
Peavey 6505.

Next.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
Peavey 6505.

Next.

Would love to but they're >$1000 in Aus.
I would go with the Vypyr 60. It's actually not fully tube, but it sounds really good for what else is in that price range. It's probably the best in that price range for a lot of things, but not all. I think you'll dig it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
I used to jam with a guitarist with a 75 watt vyper and it was the best sounding amp ever.
Peavey seems to be the way to go thus far then. Only problem I hear is that the speakers often need to be replaced, preferably Celestion speakers. Not sure how much extra that will cost
Just a word about the Vypyrs, do not take the USB record out into consideration when choosing your amp, there are massive problems with them (clipping etc) which Peavey have failed to sort out, the line out is much better for silent recording.
Quote by Beezerk
Just a word about the Vypyrs, do not take the USB record out into consideration when choosing your amp, there are massive problems with them (clipping etc) which Peavey have failed to sort out, the line out is much better for silent recording.

That's alright, I do have a USB interfacing thingo lying around somewhere. Was passed on by my step father, he's all into recording but I'm yet to play around with that. I assume that'll do the trick, although I doubt I'll be trying to record anything with my equipment any time soon :p Heck I can just go see him if I need a good job done of it!
If you're interested in a vypyr, then you'll definantly be interested in a line 6 Valve spider. As far as I'm aware, they are full tube amps, are more customizeable and better sounding than any other spider model. Used, they go (minimum) about $200 (112) and $250 (212)

Be careful with valvekings by the way. Though sound wise they are acceptable, their durability make them somewhat unreliable
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
THe Valveking might not have enough gain on tap for everything.
the VHT is a no.
The Spider Valves are decent. I've never compared them to a Vypyr Tube though.

The Vypyr Tube would definitely be my first choice for something that versatile in that budget.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
If you're interested in a vypyr, then you'll definantly be interested in a line 6 Valve spider. As far as I'm aware, they are full tube amps, are more customizeable and better sounding than any other spider model. Used, they go (minimum) about $200 (112) and $250 (212)

Be careful with valvekings by the way. Though sound wise they are acceptable, their durability make them somewhat unreliable

I thought the Valvekings have been fairly reliable

More so than any Spider.

I wasn't aware that the Spider Valve is all tube. Aren't the amp models done digitally?

The Spider Valve 212 combo is $899 new. That's almost twice the cost of a Vypyr 60 - which kicks its ass.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I thought the Valvekings have been fairly reliable

More so than any Spider.

I wasn't aware that the Spider Valve is all tube. Aren't the amp models done digitally?

The Spider Valve 212 combo is $899 new. That's almost twice the cost of a Vypyr 60 - which kicks its ass.

That was a very nice way of saying he is an idiot.

And nothing wrong with VK reliability.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.