Page 1 of 2
About a year or two ago, I bought an old beaten up Squier Strat on an impulse from a small auction. It cost around £45 if I remember correctly. It had a Schaller Floyd Rose Tremelo, a humbucker in bridge, and two single coils. Its completely black, and wood on the headstock looks quite old.

The most distinguishable thing I can see is that the jack input is not on the front, as it is with most strats, but is circular, and on the side :S

Does anyone know why this Strat might be this way? It's definitely old, was there a period when Squier made then this way? Is there anything else I could describe that would help find out when it was made etc? Cheers
Pics would help..sounds like an old japanese squire though..for ~50 bucks, not bad...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Pictures would be helpful.

Are you able to put pics up from an iPod?
Can you do it via Instagram ?
Last edited by Paddynbob at Oct 13, 2012,
just have them hosted on another website, or uploadthem directly from your comp..I'm not sure if an Ipod will work..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Wesbanez
You young people and your tweets. Use a proper service with some decent pics!

Nice banana by the way.

That sounds so good out of context
Quote by Darkdevil725
upload to photobucket then post the pictures directly to the forum. Its easy and fast.

What is photo bucket?
Quote by Paddynbob
What is photo bucket?

Ahaha what are you like, 12?

but seriously, I jest, get some good pics up man I wanna see this mystery strat, I love a good cheapo mystery axe.
Quote by Wesbanez
Ahaha what are you like, 12?

but seriously, I jest, get some good pics up man I wanna see this mystery strat, I love a good cheapo mystery axe.

Quality good enough?
Cant see the serial number but I think its somewhere around mid to late eighties. Not many of those things going around.
Quote by KrymsinViking
You should probably tighten your spring claw...

**** is a spring claw? :L
That thing in the back that keeps your Floyd from being at a 30 degree angle off the body.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Cant see the serial number but I think its somewhere around mid to late eighties. Not many of those things going around.

Serial number: s919482

Roughly, what would you value it at?
Quote by Paddynbob
Serial number: s919482

Roughly, what would you value it at?

After a proper setup and a good cleaning I would say some where around $150 - $200 provided that everythings works well and is in good condition.
Quote by Darkdevil725
After a proper setup and a good cleaning I would say some where around $150 - $200 provided that everythings works well and is in good condition.

And it's 80s, yeah? Does this count as vintage? :L
Quote by Paddynbob
And it's 80s, yeah? Does this count as vintage? :L

Its 1989. Not really sure if it does but im older than this guitar is so I doupt it.

see how much the bridge is lifted ass end in the air?

flip the guitar over and add a spring in there and/or tighten the two screws in there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 13, 2012,
spend $50 getting it set up, cleaned, and intonated.

if you don't know what photobucket or a spring claw are you don't want to touch it.

it's worthy of a proper set up.

(sorry jen, you could have 100 pages getting through this one )
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by gregs1020
spend $50 getting it set up, cleaned, and intonated.

if you don't know what photobucket or a spring claw are you don't want to touch it.

it's worthy of a proper set up.

(sorry jen, you could have 100 pages getting through this one )

I'm more a les Paul man than a Strat guy, I've never been a fan of floyd roses
interesting guitar but yeah $150-200 is probably about it value wise. those aren't really in much demand. 89 really isn't vintage either.
Quote by monwobobbo
interesting guitar but yeah $150-200 is probably about it value wise. those aren't really in much demand. 89 really isn't vintage either.

Just nice to know what it is if anyone else can offer any other info, it would be appreciated
Quote by Paddynbob
Just nice to know what it is if anyone else can offer any other info, it would be appreciated

stop over at the Strat-Talk forum and post there there are plenty of die hard strat guys there that can give whatever info you might want.
take the neck off and see what's stamped in the cavity on the neck and the guitar.

that will tell you what it is.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by gregs1020
take the neck off and see what's stamped in the cavity on the neck and the guitar.

that will tell you what it is.

BUT PLEASE Take the strings off first!!!

just tossing that out there.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, a little update for all you helpful people: just plugged it in, wrestled it into an unstable tuning, which took forever. But when I plugged it in, oh my **** is it meaty. Like, really thick and warm.

Put it through a Boss DS1, and it nailed Smells Like Teen Spirit
Last edited by Paddynbob at Oct 14, 2012,
You really need to setup that Floyd But don't start fiddling with it until you know what everything does. Don't screw that spring plate in without loosening your strings a bit! And DO NOT adjust the action with the strings under tension, you'll blunt the knife edges.

Watch some YouTube how-to videos before attempting anything and know what you're doing.
Quote by n00bje
You really need to setup that Floyd But don't start fiddling with it until you know what everything does. Don't screw that spring plate in without loosening your strings a bit! And DO NOT adjust the action with the strings under tension, you'll blunt the knife edges.

Watch some YouTube how-to videos before attempting anything and know what you're doing.

Also, Im no expert on floyds, but isn't there meant to be some screwy thingy on the nut?
Quote by Paddynbob
Also, Im no expert on floyds, but isn't there meant to be some screwy thingy on the nut?

on your guitar the locking mechanism is behind the nut. not as effective as a locking nut but they work.
Damn that needs a setup. I'll take it off your hands..
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
But of an update: just sent it into my tiny local music shop to get a good home-cleaning and set up it's absolutely ****ed. This did make me laugh though: what I hadn't realised is that at some point in the guitars existence, the strap button had fallen off, and what they'd done is hammered in a wood screw haha
Page 1 of 2