Page 1 of 2
ArtistLion
818 IQ
While making a guitar practice schedule (which is based on the styles I want to play) I came across this thing called atonal melody. It appeared in an article about J-rock. After doing some search is seems atonality is a piece without a tonal centre. So is this like mindless chromatic shredding? How can I imagine/play atonal melodies? Should I practice it? Is it useful?

A response to this weird phenomenon would be appreciated.
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,748 IQ
Quote by ArtistLion
So is this like mindless chromatic shredding?

That's certainly one approach.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,804 IQ
Quote by ArtistLion
How can I imagine/play atonal melodies? Should I practice it? Is it useful?

Probably not.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
Outside of a horror movie soundtrack, I see little use for it. Have you ever listened to atonal music before? Shit's unnerving as hell to me.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Nietsche
Registered Hoover
386 IQ
Quote by ArtistLion
It appeared in an article about J-rock.

I can't believe no-one picked up on this part yet.

Anyway, knowing how to craft atonal music probably isn't a useful skill unless you're interested in contemporary classical music.
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
↑ I'll claim ignorance on my part. Everything I've ever been shown to be atonal gives me such an anxious feeling. If you have an example that doesn't then I will gladly recant my statement.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
jazz_rock_feel
UG Resident
2,342 IQ
Quote by J-Dawg158
↑ I'll claim ignorance on my part. Everything I've ever been shown to be atonal gives me such an anxious feeling. If you have an example that doesn't then I will gladly recant my statement.

I don't really care about the bit about it unnerving you, how you respond to music is your business. I just hate when people can only relate to contemporary classical music by saying it's like a horror movie.

But...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-I_igR6o7c

I don't find (the first few minutes at least) of this particularly unnerving. You might though.

That ****ing picture doesn't help my case...
cubs
x
3,949 IQ
it's not mindless shredding. i think it can be really beautiful and can evoke certain emotions 'tonal' music can't. it is a bit harder to get into, but i think that's a western culture thing. i love fooling around atonaly.

and saying things like 'there's no use for it outside horror movies' is dumb i think. a musician might find that atonal music is what works best for him. and music has no practical use anyway.
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
Hey, it's just my opinion, no reason to get all testy guys. Music is subjective, and I'm subject to believe that atonal's nature creates an anxious and dreadful vibe like one would find in horror movies. I don't mean it to be dismissive, that's just the mood it creates when I hear it. If that's what you want to go for with your own music then that's your deal. Different strokes. Usefulness is also a subjective term as well.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,748 IQ

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,748 IQ
Ah, Berg.

Or as I call him, better than Webern.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

I meant that more towards cubs for calling my opinion dumb, but it doesn't really matter. I can agree to disagree, and will leave this thread alone after this post.

Quote by Xiaoxi
This ain't scary

I don't find it scary per sé, just unsettling because it never resolves to anything. Not really something I care to sit down and have a cup of coffee listening to is all I'm trying to say.

/Opinion
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,748 IQ
Quote by J-Dawg158

I don't find it scary per sé, just unsettling because it never resolves to anything. Not really something I care to sit down and have a cup of coffee listening to is all I'm trying to say.

/Opinion

it's an acquired taste

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
883 IQ
18 Posts into a thread about atonality and not one mention of Schoenburg? My, my, my.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,748 IQ
Quote by King Of Suede
18 Posts into a thread about atonality and not one mention of Schoenburg? My, my, my.

There are a lot of composers shown here that are from the 2nd Viennese School, aka Schoenberg.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
Zach what's that piece you posted in the classical thread a while ago, a piece for bass flute and electronics if I remember correctly? I wanted to post that but couldn't find it.
Marius_Delirium
23 IQ
Quote by ArtistLion
While making a guitar practice schedule (which is based on the styles I want to play) I came across this thing called atonal melody. It appeared in an article about J-rock. After doing some search is seems atonality is a piece without a tonal centre. So is this like mindless chromatic shredding? How can I imagine/play atonal melodies? Should I practice it? Is it useful?

A response to this weird phenomenon would be appreciated.

You can try practising on 12-tone music:P It can be kinda cool and tricky on guitar. 12-tone music is a form of atonal music that evolved in the modernistic era, around year 1900- 1920, don't remember exactly. It may sound like chaos, but the music actually follows strict rules, often more strict than usual harmonic music. Instead of following a scale, like minor or major, you use ALL the 12 tones. One of the rules in 12- tone music is that after you've played one note, you can't play the same note until you've played all the other 11 notes. The rythm and octave of the notes are up to you. 12- tone melodies are cool as unisone parts in a band and sound pretty prog.

Have fun!
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
883 IQ
Quote by Xiaoxi
There are a lot of composers shown here that are from the 2nd Viennese School, aka Schoenberg.

I mean you can talk about something like the modern jazz bass all day, but if you don't mention Jaco, you're doing the conversation an injustice.
Ya know what I'm saying?
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
flemhoof
10 IQ
Having spent my adult life writing music, playing in bands, and everything else part of the fascination of composition is the freedom to follow your own interests. Atonal chords create their own 'internal' melodies and rhythmns that of themselves can form whole song ideas. Yes the challenge is to communicate those results with other players and more often finding them again, but writing atonal music off as modern classical creepy bug music is wrong.
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
If atonality sounds good in your song, then its useful. If it doesnt, then its not useful.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
Quote by flemhoof
Atonal chords create their own 'internal' melodies and rhythmns that of themselves can form whole song ideas.

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
54 IQ
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
i thought scelsi was more popular here
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
54 IQ
Quote by griffRG7321
^The Webern is straight up expressive

Yeah I'd go with that. It reminds me of a storm in the mountains.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
i was looking for some jeff loomis here. he does it really well. at least i think he does atonal stuff in his solo album zero order phase
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
54 IQ
Quote by :-D
how does anyone even remotely suggest that an entire branch of music is either useful or useless in an objective sense

among the most vehement opposition to atonality were the nazis

are you a nazi?

Don't be stereotyping nazis man. I'm a nazi and I love atonality. Goose stepping though. That's so last year.
Quote by Hail
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
Quote by :-D
how does anyone even remotely suggest that an entire branch of music is either useful or useless in an objective sense

among the most vehement opposition to atonality were the nazis

are you a nazi?

i'm a very proud german, and i'm not much for atonality...where do i fall on your scale?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.