W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Ok, it's about time I stop procrastinating and post what I'm currently working on. Basically I wanted to make something that was built for shredding but inspired by a tele. Sorry for the lousy pics, they were taken on my cell phone Also, I have a hard time remembering to take pics, so some steps weren't documented.

Specs:

Basswood/quilted maple body
Maple/walnut neck
Birdseye maple fretboard
20" radius
1 3/4" nut
24 frets
25.5" scale
Tele style bridge w/ humbucker (cheap bridge from Guitar Jones. Feels solid though)
Grover tuners
Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups

Here's my template. Not a good one, the waist seems a little off:

You can't tell in the pic, but the "maple" is a cherry color. Everyone thinks it's cherry at first. It was pretty cheap, $5 a bf, so it's nothing amazing but I think it looks cool:

Basswood body blank with quilted maple cap:

After glue-up. I wish I'd taken a pic of it while it was clamped. I used a ridiculous number of clamps on it because I'm paranoid:

5-piece maple/walnut neck:

Body shaped. Definitely nothing like the original template. I made the neck heel rounded, and the horn is deeper to allow better 24th fret access. And you can see my first idea for the headstock was kinda Ernie Ball inspired:

After the body and fretboard are bound. I definitely missed a few photo opportunities along the way. The fretboard is birdseye maple. You can see my new headstock design too. Please excuse the mess:

Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 20, 2012,
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Back to work on the neck. Got the headstock shaped and added the maple cap, and the truss rod is in:

Fretboard is glues on, neck is trimmed, and headstock is bound:

Neck pocket and neck humbucker route:

Shaping:

Neck is Shaped:

Side dots added:

W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Putting things into perspective:

Neck after fretting:

Added this sweet beveled edge using advice from this thread(thanks woad_yurt, I took your advice):

And this is where I'm currently at, finishing Applied a black oil-based dye. I'll sand it back and stain it with green to pop the figure tomorrow:

Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 19, 2012,
whoomit
1,492 IQ
That's a nice piece of wood for $5! The bevelling looks a lot nicer on this then it did on the guitar you posted in the other thread in my opinion, good job.

When did you start this?
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by whoomit
That's a nice piece of wood for $5! The bevelling looks a lot nicer on this then it did on the guitar you posted in the other thread in my opinion, good job.

When did you start this?

Thanks! I started this in the last week of August.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 20, 2012,
Darkdevil725
UG Freak
1,248 IQ
Looking good so far. My friend has something he called a Shredcaster, it was a squier tele affinity body with a jackson neck.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by Wisthekiller
I always thought you put frets on BEFORE binding?

I suppose if you were't going to overlap the binding with the fret, that would be the only way to do it. I would never do that though, that would make the sides of the fretboard wasted space.
EspTro
3,642 IQ
ahhhh u painted it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Thats awesome.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by EspTro
ahhhh u painted it

No, that was black dye. My intent was to sand it back to pop the grain before I stained it green. But that didn't work out because the figuring is so inconsistent(bargain bin quilted maple ), so some spots were black and others were not. I ended up sanding away all of the black and going for just green:

However, I did not like how dark that green ended up being, so I lightly sanded it:

I think that looks better, and the figuring pops very nicely when wet:

The issue that that method, was that some areas, like edges, sanded back a little more than the rest, giving it a faded look. I actually like it, so I think that's how I'll leave it.

Quote by Kevin Saale
Thats awesome.

Thanks
George Juggles
Tab Contributor
1,309 IQ
Quote by Stratus475
John 5 would approve.

I thought of him too.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Probably going to have trouble with a regular Tele bridge with a 20" radius.

Why is that? It's just like any other fender style bridge, with the tiny allen screws to adjust the height of each string.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
So, I wasn't completely satisfied with the color green I ended up with, it wasn't as bright as the green I originally intended to make. So, I bit the bullet, sanded back, and started over!

Here's the green I wanted from the beginning. Someone called it "acid green" and I think it fits:

I think it works well with the black hardware:

Some shellac added to seal it. The lighting blows:

Also, the fretboard has been coated with satin polyethylene. I looks really good, but I forget to take photos of it.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 25, 2012,
Anchr
Took an arrow in the knee
330 IQ
How much you want for it? I'd buy it :p Looks awesome man, good job!
Quote by Represent
ITT: Immature twats
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Oh wow, that green really brings out the figuring!
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
That's a really sexy guitar
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
I'm thinking about calling it the "Slimecaster" . Whaddya think?

Quote by Anchr
How much you want for it? I'd buy it :p Looks awesome man, good job!

Thanks! I'd love to get into selling guitars, but I'm definitely not where I need to be, skill-wise, to sell. This is only my first electric, and fourth instrument total. Besides, I've built this to be my main playing guitar
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
wow that's awesome
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Loki.Foxchild
212 IQ
nice! that's gotta be the shreddiest tele I've ever seen. and nice looking too
OneHappyCamper
583 IQ
This is awesome!

I thought you'd ruined it when you first stained it black, and didn't like the first green...

but now it looks killer! Very shreddy, yeah.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
J_W
65 IQ
As a guy who is not a fan of fenders at all, I love this build. The brighter green looks way better than the first green you tried. Very nice
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Thanks for all the encouraging comments! I'm very happy with the green too

I've spent the last few weeks sanding and sealing trying to get everything as a perfect as I can before I spraying the nitrocellulose lacquer. But I'm new to finishing with lacquer, so I've been having some issues with that. I'm getting it all figured out though. This is at about 8 coats of nitro. It came out pretty good, but I did get a few small runs. Tomorrow I'll level it and spray few more coats, then put it aside for 3 weeks while it cures.

I took some pics in the sun because the green really comes alive in the sunlight:

The back came out really nice, but you can't see it very well here because of the sunlight. I wish I'd taken a better pic, that basswood looks really nice right now. I sealed it with shellac, which gave it a sort of vintage-y tint and brought out the grain a bit, but I'll have to show that off more when I take some better pics:

All-in-all it's coming along very nicely. This 3 week wait will be excruciating, but it'll give me a chance to get caught up on other things.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Nov 9, 2012,
J_W
65 IQ
The top looks sweet in the sun, love the color.
RJH11
Tone chaser
1,330 IQ
Coolest tele style ive seen in a long time right on man.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by J_W
The top looks sweet in the sun, love the color.

Yeah, it really pops in the sunlight. And sadly, I can't take a pic that does it justice with my lousy camera.

Quote by RJH11
Coolest tele style ive seen in a long time right on man.

Thanks!
miio
234 IQ
Wow dude, just pure awesomeness! Cant wait to see it finished & some clips perhaps
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by sashki
What do you use for fretting? Do you have an arbor press? Sorry if you've already adressed this question.

I used a hammer to fret, and then a vice and a caul to squeeze the ends down while I applied thin super glue.
Quote by miio
Wow dude, just pure awesomeness! Cant wait to see it finished & some clips perhaps

Quote by innertom
i love that finish man

Thanks guys
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
1,357 IQ
Awesome! What pups are in it?!
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Speckled_Hen
Dr Monkey Pants
243 IQ
Looking great, and no inlays?

Where did you get the black binding from?
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,557 IQ
This is the reason why I hot-rodded a JEM... there are typical JEMs out there with varying paint jobs, but I wanted to take it a step further, to customize every aspect to my preferences. Teles are very basic looking and something like this takes it to the next level!
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Build complete! Check out my NGD thread here.

Quote by logicbdj
This is the reason why I hot-rodded a JEM... there are typical JEMs out there with varying paint jobs, but I wanted to take it a step further, to customize every aspect to my preferences. Teles are very basic looking and something like this takes it to the next level!

Thank you. I agree, teles are very basic, and that's one of the reasons I chose that style to expand upon.
Quote by Speckled_Hen
Looking great, and no inlays?

Where did you get the black binding from?

Yeah, i decided against inlays this time around. I'm not fond of dots, and honestly, inlaying into maple isn't easy for someone with my limited experience. The binding is from stewmac, and I highly recommend it. It's ABS plastic, which is great because you can melt it into a goop with some acetone and seamlessly fill any gaps with that. You can't do that with PVC binding.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Awesome! What pups are in it?!

Thanks! Duncan Blackouts.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Dec 7, 2012,