constepatdyak
86 IQ
Hi, i want to change to a Roland Cube XL40W amp from an old roland Cube 15W, will it be 2.5x louder than the 15W or is that not how amps work? On the 15W, my volume bar is usually on 2 out 10.

Thanks alot guys, cheers.
Last edited by constepatdyak at Oct 20, 2012,
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Doesn't sound like a smart move unless it has more effects.

It's not that much louder.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
2,508 IQ
You could turn your amp up :shrug;
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart
1,580 IQ
Unless the XL40W has specific features that the 15W doesn't (Maybe a larger speaker? More effects?), I would save your money.
Its not going to be that much louder, Maybe a few DBs, but nothing that noticable unless you are in a band situation.
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
I'm pretty sure somebody on here said that you have to have like 10x the power to double the volume. If this is all about volume, just turn your knob up.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Oct 20, 2012,
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
1,335 IQ
I would say go for it. The 40XL is going to give you much more modeling features. You can get a good sound at bedroom levels with any of the Cubes.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
Quote by constepatdyak
Hi, i want to change to a Roland Cube XL40W amp from an old roland Cube 15W, will it be 2.5x louder than the 15W or is that not how amps work? On the 15W, my volume bar is usually on 2 out 10.

Thanks alot guys, cheers.

if you run both amps at their nominal output then the 40 watt amp would be about 1.4 times louder than the 15 watt amp.

Quote by Viban
I'm pretty sure somebody on here said that you have to have like 10x the power to double the volume. If this is all about volume, just turn your knob up.

+1

if you are only on 2, then you aren't even using all the volume of the amp you have. why would you need more?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I think we are looking at the wrong end of the stick.
The 40W will be a bit louder at full volume but it will also be capable of being turned down to the levels you are used to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
constepatdyak
86 IQ
Yeah, thanks. The 15W doesn't have any modelling or much features, and I have a great deal on the 40W XL.

-I'm not upgrading for the volume, but more for the benefits of extra modeeling and effects the 40W has, and I can get a great deal on it for $220.

Thanks guys for your answers, I'm buying right now
Last edited by constepatdyak at Oct 21, 2012,
Diamond Dave
1,428 IQ
like people have said, the wattage doesn't make much difference to volume but I'm assuming the 40w will have something like a 12" speaker vs an 8" or 10" in the 15w.

the 40w will definitely give a "bigger" sound, even if its not actually that many extra decibels.
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Clean headroom, the 15 watt has none, it breaks up at bedroom levels

And due the the larger speaker, I'd call this a worthwhile upgrade
Last edited by seljer at Oct 21, 2012,
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by Diamond Dave
like people have said, the wattage doesn't make much difference to volume but I'm assuming the 40w will have something like a 12" speaker vs an 8" or 10" in the 15w.
Yup, the simply move more air. The inverse square law attaches to cone area vs cone excursion.

Quote by Diamond Dave
the 40w will definitely give a "bigger" sound, even if its not actually that many extra decibels.
A larger amplifies virtue is that it can ordinarily change more voltage, faster, than can a smaller amp. It's a spec called "slew rate".

I think that's what you're referring to, at least in part, when you say, "bigger sound'. A higher slew rate, translates to better dynamics in the signal. The clean headroom and a higher rate of voltage change, puts the "pop" into the sound. A loudspeaker with a faster transient response helps out a bunch too.
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
slew rate has nothing to do with wattage.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
ikey_
4,739 IQ
i would say roughly 3-4 DBs, which is significant to a degree. not a crazy amount but loud enough for people to hear a difference.

really the main difference is headroom. 40 watts will stay cleaner louder.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)