Shortly after I opened my BRAND NEW JJ 6L6 quartete, I went to install the first tube, only to have the plastic piece in the middle of the circle of pins on the bottom break off Does this mean the tube is ruined? I can post pics if they'll help.
no the tube is not bad now. What happened is you broke the guide pin off. You need to see how the other tube fit in the base (which pins go where and make sure you put it in exactly that way in your amp.

This happened to me about a month or two ago, but I did what I just explained and I was totaly fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks! That's a relief...

In that case, we'll see how these mofo's sound in a few minutes. I replaced V3, V4, V5, and V6 with JJ's, I have Tung Sols in V1 and V2, and JJ 6L6's in the power section...I'm excited!
I'd use a permanent marker to mark the tube base and socket where the guide pin tab pointed.

Congrats on our purchase, love me some JJ 6L6s!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
I'd use a permanent marker to mark the tube base and socket where the guide pin tab pointed.

Congrats on our purchase, love me some JJ 6L6s!

That's what I did when I broke the guide pin off once.

Only mine broke off inside the socket

Devon - be preparred to be blown away. At least I think you will.

JJ's are just so 'round' and 'professional' sounding. Lots of harmonics and richness. Hard to explain. I think you'll be pretty happy.

The only danger is that it is now possible to plug the tube in wrong. Be careful that you get the right pins in the right holes or wackiness will ensue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification